Lighting Bigsm0 and the cob addiction

Since the cobs 2 less fans are running, the ac isn't working as hard, the power pulled by the cobs doesn't even equal half the power the cheap leds were pulling, now im not an electrician but im an electrician company's owner son so I know how to figure all my electric usage and then some.

Growmau5 on youtube got just shy of 2 grams per watt with a 285 watt Cree 2530 COB based light! And that was in the early days of diy cob lighting. I've found the ability to dim the lights to be important. I grew my best Blue Dragon harvest ever by running my COB light dimmed to 200 watts, with two individual cobs running at 35 watts each, one on left and right sides of the tent. Just to increase the diffuse light levels. The last two weeks I turn the power up 50 watts. Rock hard buds top to bottom! You been rocking cob lighting longer than I have and your grows show it! But I'm getting the hang of AND changing up my grow style. Never thought I'd run nutrients on as regular basis, but I've been impressed by Megacrop and have 3 grows with it now, not one nutrient based issue at all!

And yep, was hoping for a monster ........... but still a thank you, it was great bud!

Slowandeasy documented somewhere around 3.5 grams per watt. My big photo that’s on instagram was 3.22 and the auto lgorilla from short stuff was 8oz first run and 9 oz the second run from a single cob.

I get 375g from two autos from only 140W DIY lights. 2.67 GPW, but I veg for 20 or 30 days just under 50W CREE CXB3590. So overall less than 140W lights.
Link is in my signature.
The lower you drive them, higher efficiency and the more easy is to get great harvest.

New lights/boards which are up to 220 lm/W can get easy to 1.5-1.7 GPW.

No stretch with LED??? that tent is 80" tall and the plant in the rear is bending against the roof

360 watts of QB 304 boards

View attachment 910893
And you right, going COB, etc, is what you want to get custom results by building the spread you want, spectrum, and dimming. Run them soft in veg crank them up in flower! Or not......... as our friend here shows us we have some rethinking to do on lighting. This may be where DLI comes in, give them the light they need not what we think they should get.

@pop22 I don't know what a QB 304 is; do you have specs? Power, spectrum, etc. The pic shows a "white" light so assuming yours is a full spectrum. Mine are red & blue with NO stretch. This is what's leading me down the spectrum trail rather than light strength for LED's.
But let's get off BigSm0's thread so we don't trash it any worse than we already have :naughtystep:.
Post reply on my thread at https://www.autoflower.org/threads/effects-of-light-intensity-on-plant-growth.65115/page-8

There are so many variables when it comes to growing. The best thing you can do is eliminate as many as possible. Genetics are number one, I have seen good results with good genetics and terrible lights, also seen poor results with good genetics, good lights and poorly applied nutrients. Even larger strains at times can have a shorter pheno. Good companies usually have a better success rate when it comes to individualizing them. I sent pop some seeds of the biggest autos I have ever grown, he ended up with super short plants that took 100 days to grow out. Mine would have been 8 feet tall if they weren’t in a scrog.

20/4 is a great schedule. I do recommend people give their plants a little rest which also helps them get a bit taller too. Spectrum also plays a big roll. I regularly grow with different spectrums, 3000,3500,4000 and 6500k. There is a noticeable difference between them as far as plant growth goes. As far as intensity you are absolutely correct. The more intense the lights are and the higher the ppfd the shorter the plants tend to be. If you wanted stretch stick a cfk in there and remove your real lights.

It’s been around a year since I discovered that the dli was really the main thing affecting my plants. Everyone else grew with higher wattages and did fine, I grew with the same lights but had burnt crisps. I was also on a photo prodominent forum too. It hit me one day when some photo grower was trash talking autos saying how they saved money by flowering with 12 hours on vs us up to 24 hours on. Then I did the math on how long I would veg for to get my auto sized plants as photos. Ext... in doing this it hit me that I was giving my plants twice the amount of light as they were. Photos 12 autos 24. It also struck me that most auto growers were using leds and I knew that these “300” watt leds were only around 25 par watts. Waaaay less than cobs or even hps. So most auto growers think they are giving more but are actually giving less. That’s why I think it hasn’t caught on. I can’t imagine someone going with 11 watts per square foot with a 300w eBay led. By face value that’s 27 sq feet lol. Now I’m here and my plants are better than ever. Less wattage, better spectrum, amazing growth and after recently adding up my lighting cost per month for an 8x20 filled with AutoCobs it’s crazy to consider a change.

Thanks again Good Sir. Agree with eliminating as many variables as possible. I have my environment, genetics and nutrients dialed in so I'm down to lighting. Everything has been same / similar from HID to LED, with the standard tweaks to nute strength for each grow to accommodate differences in pheno's and light strength. Now I just need to better understand the spectrum variables. With my latest grow I used HID metal halide for veg and high pressure sodium for transition. Once my LST was done I switched to LED and she is filling in beautifully. It's a solution, but I can't help but keep searching for one that does not need the HID. HID was good to me for the last 16 years, but I just feel it's time to move on.
I wouldn't think I would need 4000 or 6500K spectrums if you are seeing significant stretch from your 3000 and 3500 spectrums?
Would perhaps one each 3000 and 3500 in my 5 sq. ft. tents be a reasonable ticket to get stretch while retaining excellent bud density / yield?
Or four @ 3000 each? All 3500?

@pop22 I don't know what a QB 304 is; do you have specs? Power, spectrum, etc. The pic shows a "white" light so assuming yours is a full spectrum. Mine are red & blue with NO stretch. This is what's leading me down the spectrum trail rather than light strength for LED's.
But let's get off BigSm0's thread so we don't trash it any worse than we already have :naughtystep:.
Post reply on my thread at https://www.autoflower.org/threads/effects-of-light-intensity-on-plant-growth.65115/page-8

Thank you, there is already to much of that going as it is.

Thanks again Good Sir. Agree with eliminating as many variables as possible. I have my environment, genetics and nutrients dialed in so I'm down to lighting. Everything has been same / similar from HID to LED, with the standard tweaks to nute strength for each grow to accommodate differences in pheno's and light strength. Now I just need to better understand the spectrum variables. With my latest grow I used HID metal halide for veg and high pressure sodium for transition. Once my LST was done I switched to LED and she is filling in beautifully. It's a solution, but I can't help but keep searching for one that does not need the HID. HID was good to me for the last 16 years, but I just feel it's time to move on.
I wouldn't think I would need 4000 or 6500K spectrums if you are seeing significant stretch from your 3000 and 3500 spectrums?
Would perhaps one each 3000 and 3500 in my 5 sq. ft. tents be a reasonable ticket to get stretch while retaining excellent bud density / yield?
Or four @ 3000 each? All 3500?

For 5 sq’ I would run a maximum of 2 cobs in there. 3500’s don’t cause much stretch unless they are very far away. I haven’t had any problems with them doing anything other than give results I prefer. The 3k does have a little less blue which could theoretically cause a bit more stretch but I haven’t seen it myself. Not much interest in them for some reason. I’m happy with them. If I were to build new lights for my space I’d go with all 3500’s and a few 3000’s for supplemental but only turn them on in mid to late flower.

This is the stretch from one 3500k auto cob on a sour 60 that is half way done in a 2 gal grow bag. Shes 34 days old should finish around 60 days hunch it's name now this flower stretch is from Tues to today pics in order of days
IMG_20180522_220729.jpg
IMG_20180524_224846.jpg
IMG_20180525_211920.jpg
IMG_20180526_203008.jpg

Also I can show a LSD 25 that has went from 16" to 27" today in the same amount of time. Im thinking that my stretch is going to be to much at this rate.

I stand corrected my LSD has went from 14.5" to 31" from Tuesday this week.

Back