Lighting Bigsm0 and the cob addiction

Just got my end of a great deal in the mail. Next grow which is starting here soon is going to be amazing. Strains I have only vaguely heard of.

Cosmic queen, skysenbery, samsquanch og/hubbabubba.

image.jpg

My Royal Queen quick one I accidentally gave it 10g/gal for 3 weeks twice a week before I noticed I was looking at the wrong screen shot and not one issue with cobs at 16" away. Now shes down 2.5 g a gallon cause she's almost done. Now my Bubbatrouble loves it and all the hst I can give her in hydro though. I have both running on here plus some fast buds in autopots setup journal on here. I think once u play with it u will love it even more. yes uping the cal can run cobs closer and no issues. im just as new as u bub. just my work schedule allows me to play in the gardens alot more.
IMG_20180517_151116.jpg
IMG_20180517_151246.jpg

My Royal Queen quick one I accidentally gave it 10g/gal for 3 weeks twice a week before I noticed I was looking at the wrong screen shot and not one issue with cobs at 16" away. Now shes down 2.5 g a gallon cause she's almost done. Now my Bubbatrouble loves it and all the hst I can give her in hydro though. I have both running on here plus some fast buds in autopots setup journal on here. I think once u play with it u will love it even more. yes uping the cal can run cobs closer and no issues. im just as new as u bub. just my work schedule allows me to play in the gardens alot more.View attachment 908874 View attachment 908875
Now that’s a great looking lady. Super buds even in a smaller pot.

Now that’s a great looking lady. Super buds even in a smaller pot.
Thank u she should of been done weeks ago but she is I guess their biggest phenos of this strain. Should be 150-170g once done. From my experience anyway. She will drink a gallon a day if I let herand she usually wins out battles.

Just got my end of a great deal in the mail. Next grow which is starting here soon is going to be amazing. Strains I have only vaguely heard of.

Cosmic queen, skysenbery, samsquanch og/hubbabubba.
Nice seed collection. Non of those were available the last time I purchased from Mephisto. Good times coming to you.

You really should try running Mega only, you really don't need all that other stuff, and could be the reason for the tip curl. Megacrop was designed to be an all in one nutrient package, hell, it includes things NONE of the other makers do, in fact, they charge you extra for them! don't think it will wokr? it did for me!

Indica 639 pic2 -2-26-2018.jpg

@Olde School Player didn’t want to clog up someone else’s thread but I saw you mention you had a problem with cob temps. Here is the drop down on the 2 cob special. View attachment 908886

Thanks for the follow through, much appreciated. I'm not sure I would call my color spec issue as much of a "problem", as I would lack of knowledge. Over the past couple of years I've been slowly transitioning from photoperiod to autoflower plants, and from HID to LED lighting. After more than a dozen grows a pattern emerged ... ALL of my auto grows stretched beautifully under HID, but none of the grows I did under LED would stretch. I had complete start-to-finish LED grows where the plant never exceeded 10" in final finished height. The plants have been very healthy and bud density has been excellent, perhaps even better than HID grows. But sometimes the lack of stretch has hurt yields, and the dense / compact growth has adversely affected bag appeal. I outlined this in my intro when I joined AFN, link at the bottom of this post.
So during this learning curve, I began to speculate that light intensity was preventing stretch. My HID grows were single-plant in a 2X2 tent under 250W HID, while my LED grows were 325W (at wall). So increased power, coupled with improved efficiency of LED, pointed me to the idea of light intensity as the cause. So I did another thread on Light Intensity, link also at bottom of my posts, with the intention of gathering other growers' experience with stretch under LED. I wanted to chase light intensity from actual power of the LED, as well as distance from the plant canopy. Idea being, light strength drops by the square of the distance (or something like that which I really don't know enough to explain) which is a simpler and more affordable way of varying light intensity than buying COB's of every strength available. As input slowly and somewhat unreliably trickled in from other growers, I became convinced that it was not light intensity that was preventing stretch, but more likely color spectrum.
Fast forward to the past few weeks, and xxxxx has experienced a great deal of stretch with his grows under your COB's.
If memory serves, he is running your 3000K or 3500K COB's. A
nd a few other growers have reported healthy stretch under their full spectrum lights.
Still, my only point of reference is from my "olden" days of HID grows, where everyone rated their systems in degrees Kelvin, with daylight 5500 - 6000K metal halide bulbs for effective veg cycles, and 2900K high pressure sodium bulbs for effective bloom cycles. Both ratings encouraged healthy stretch in my plants. But with the advent of LED, everyone went to nanometers in rating their color spectrums. Yours is the first LED I have encountered that included degrees Kelvin ratings for your products. Kudos to you for that. So now I'm rambling somewhat because I don't understand everything I know about lighting. I've invested a fair amount of money in a couple of LED lighting systems that aren't giving me the full results I'd hoped for. So I'm looking for next steps that seem to point to different lighting, and your COB's seem to fill the ticket for what I do next.

So (a) what spectrums / degrees Kelvin lighting do you recommend that would closely simulate the stretch results I am used to under HID?
And (b) how many COB's of what strength would you recommend for a 5 sq. ft. (2'3" X 2'3") tent, to simulate the positive results I saw from my LED system lights? I have no issues with heat today using the 325W actual LED system lights. And I don't want to sacrifice bud density by under-powering my grow canopy. But I do want to take the next step in improving my grow methods. Your thoughts & input welcomed.

raise your your lights up high! I an=m running only 2 autocobs in a 2'8" x2'8"x5' tent. I start them at 30" to get some stretch in veg and let them grow to the lightby end of flower they can be 12-14" from the light, depending on strain, some topping may be needed!

Thanks for the follow through, much appreciated. I'm not sure I would call my color spec issue as much of a "problem", as I would lack of knowledge. Over the past couple of years I've been slowly transitioning from photoperiod to autoflower plants, and from HID to LED lighting. After more than a dozen grows a pattern emerged ... ALL of my auto grows stretched beautifully under HID, but none of the grows I did under LED would stretch. I had complete start-to-finish LED grows where the plant never exceeded 10" in final finished height. The plants have been very healthy and bud density has been excellent, perhaps even better than HID grows. But sometimes the lack of stretch has hurt yields, and the dense / compact growth has adversely affected bag appeal. I outlined this in my intro when I joined AFN, link at the bottom of this post.
So during this learning curve, I began to speculate that light intensity was preventing stretch. My HID grows were single-plant in a 2X2 tent under 250W HID, while my LED grows were 325W (at wall). So increased power, coupled with improved efficiency of LED, pointed me to the idea of light intensity as the cause. So I did another thread on Light Intensity, link also at bottom of my posts, with the intention of gathering other growers' experience with stretch under LED. I wanted to chase light intensity from actual power of the LED, as well as distance from the plant canopy. Idea being, light strength drops by the square of the distance (or something like that which I really don't know enough to explain) which is a simpler and more affordable way of varying light intensity than buying COB's of every strength available. As input slowly and somewhat unreliably trickled in from other growers, I became convinced that it was not light intensity that was preventing stretch, but more likely color spectrum.
Fast forward to the past few weeks, and xxxxx has experienced a great deal of stretch with his grows under your COB's.
If memory serves, he is running your 3000K or 3500K COB's. A

nd a few other growers have reported healthy stretch under their full spectrum lights.
Still, my only point of reference is from my "olden" days of HID grows, where everyone rated their systems in degrees Kelvin, with daylight 5500 - 6000K metal halide bulbs for effective veg cycles, and 2900K high pressure sodium bulbs for effective bloom cycles. Both ratings encouraged healthy stretch in my plants. But with the advent of LED, everyone went to nanometers in rating their color spectrums. Yours is the first LED I have encountered that included degrees Kelvin ratings for your products. Kudos to you for that. So now I'm rambling somewhat because I don't understand everything I know about lighting. I've invested a fair amount of money in a couple of LED lighting systems that aren't giving me the full results I'd hoped for. So I'm looking for next steps that seem to point to different lighting, and your COB's seem to fill the ticket for what I do next.

So (a) what spectrums / degrees Kelvin lighting do you recommend that would closely simulate the stretch results I am used to under HID?
And (b) how many COB's of what strength would you recommend for a 5 sq. ft. (2'3" X 2'3") tent, to simulate the positive results I saw from my LED system lights? I have no issues with heat today using the 325W actual LED system lights. And I don't want to sacrifice bud density by under-powering my grow canopy. But I do want to take the next step in improving my grow methods. Your thoughts & input welcomed.

I start my AutoCOBs at about 40-42" or ≥1 meter above ground level, and let the plants grow from there. I hardy ever adjust much from that level throughout the grow. For example, an 18-inch plant (tallest mine ever get, or as tall I'd allow to it to get, with LST) would be about 24 inches from the lights usually with reflectors.

Still, like many, I try to do everything right, but my plants rarely ever stretch, never get tall at all. But I have 2 x Amare 150CR (Cree LEDs) in the same tent, so we can't conclude much from this about AutoCOB spectrum and stretch (vs. blaming the LEDs). I get high quality with average yield - a very good outcome in my view - now using AutoCOBs (supplemented with Amare 150CRs) and MegaCrop as my base nutes (at 1.5 g/L or 5.66 g/gallon, plus other complementary additives).

Back