Lighting Bigsm0 and the cob addiction

@BigSm0 do you top your plants earlier to level off the cola heights? Or just LST tying down and then the net?

Never ever. I haven’t cut a top once and don’t plan to. I honestly think it’s a crock lol. To get your tops even all you have to do is pull down the tallest branch. When you do this side branches start shooting up like mad. Stress delays the plant. The concept of cutting one to gain 2 can be had by low stress training. Instead of stalling they just keep pumping branches out.

Here are a few shots of trained plants by lst and scrog. Not trying to show off just to show that cutting isn’t needed to get them flat and wide.
ADDE4E7E-13BC-4462-B0A9-5854707181C2.jpeg

Reason a scrog is helpful. This lady had a lot more support when I had finished her
3324AF91-5167-4191-A2BC-A80FCB36DCA3.jpeg

673C3876-EC7D-4809-B686-382BDFFAF6FA.png

Nice pics that's exactly what I wanted to see that and what ur responses were explain why I planned on trying to scrog next run, I agree with the lst versus topping although I'm guilty of topping, but I've been putting a lot of knowledge of scrog and simple lst in front of me for a while now I really think with auto to achieve the most is to make the flattest canopy even with no matter the net size micro grow to large u create the best option to get the most out of ur lights, my battle plant for the cob challenge will be scrog in a appropriate size to the amount of area I have. Thanks again

Nice pics that's exactly what I wanted to see that and what ur responses were explain why I planned on trying to scrog next run, I agree with the lst versus topping although I'm guilty of topping, but I've been putting a lot of knowledge of scrog and simple lst in front of me for a while now I really think with auto to achieve the most is to make the flattest canopy even with no matter the net size micro grow to large u create the best option to get the most out of ur lights, my battle plant for the cob challenge will be scrog in a appropriate size to the amount of area I have. Thanks again

I agree and happy it helped. On my first ever grow I found some tomatoes scrog support contraptions. Basically a round ring with some crosses. It had 3 tiny legs that went to your pot. My thought was support but I later figured why not flatten it to expose more leaves. The key is leaves and light are important. More leaves and more light to a certain point is really all it takes.

Where most people struggle with scrogging is they grow different sized plants and expect a net above will work for everything. Can’t scrog a sunflower and a tomatoe plant under one net. The reason the individual units I bought did so well. You’ll need to get a feel for your plant heights and try to get your plants the same heights before hand. In my back room I have a 4x4 net with 4 ratchet hangers in each corner holding the frame. I can raise and lower it as needed. The basics are easy. Wide, wider and as wide as you can.

This should help.
The rookie
C48A9D56-382D-4C72-9FE4-2F183B4AD3A9.png

The Professional
6CF6C9A1-C5B7-495A-8505-F6E0853B9AA6.png

This plant was about a foot tall growing straight up. When it was past the baby stage I just tied the main over a little. After a few hours it popped back up straight.
You can sort of see the main on the left.
18A2E449-2C50-4AA0-9EFF-76DF73CA3CDF.jpeg

These after shots are the side branches kicking in. It only took about 30 seconds to use a tie and this plant will now be much bigger and better over all.

F8803EDF-0217-4A06-B7A1-B0F335B492D9.jpeg
C5A07AD1-1207-49BD-9289-338513B272B1.jpeg

When they hit the scrog I usually tuck and weave the first few branches to fill the net and usually end up giving up when I have a few dozen coming through each section of the frame. This is why some people use a double scrog but for autos I don’t think it’s necessary unless you have major height restrictions.

I’ll try to get more updates on this one plant to show the progress. It literally takes me 3-4 minutes to pull the mains down on all of the plants.

I top my plants, and it doesn't stop growth if done at the right time! It's easier to SCROG then. But it can be done without topping, of course.

+1

I love LSTing topped plants, very easy, just make a star shape out of the 4-6 bigger colas that shoot up :thumbsup:. However, wouldn't say it's necessary with as we can see from @BigSm0 example - you're LST and ScrOG game is on point :bow:.

This plant was about a foot tall growing straight up. When it was past the baby stage I just tied the main over a little. After a few hours it popped back up straight.
You can sort of see the main on the left.
Which lighting schedule are you using for this grow?

+1

I love LSTing topped plants, very easy, just make a star shape out of the 4-6 bigger colas that shoot up :thumbsup:. However, wouldn't say it's necessary with as we can see from @BigSm0 example - you're LST and ScrOG game is on point :bow:.
Thank you. I hope it helps people get the concept down a little easier. There isn’t a guide or any such thing people can really go by.

Back