Lighting Bigsm0 and the cob addiction

I have three plants in a tent, in hanging baskets. One sits on the floor of the tentthey all started in another tent and were the same size. Of course, the plant on the floor, stretched some. BUT it also got much taller and LARGER than the others, twice the size! and so are the buds! I'm betting more than double the bud output at harvest, which looks to be about 3 more weeks. This is so contrary to the you need more light advice we are given! Now with added CO2 you definitely much more light to use it effectively. But why are we seeing the opposite when using quality lighting?

I was going to add a couple more boards to my QB light, now, I'm waiting to see how the next grow goes. And I've got the QBs running at 60 watts each.

A better harvest with LESS light???? I see it but find no explanations!

I know for a fact that autos want and need less. You may have remembered some of my early photos on riu. Big burnt crisps. It’s actually one of the main reasons why I started cobshop. I asked a manufacturer do something similar or to at least hear me out. When he laughed my adrenaline and motivation hit new highs. Over two thousand lights later. :kiss:

someone take some auto clones and two tents and autocobs in one tent and double the lights in the other and lets see what the results are. or some test like that

i have 4 autcobs on 2 plants in veg right now. 2 above. and 2 lower and well to the sides. i see no issues with this. but if 3 months later and the plants are subpar because of too much light for auto flowers then id like to see some real evidence this is actually true.

The two above and two aside on two autos approach. It would be cool to prove the theory that less autocob is actually more. I guess I'm in the camp of trying to prove that more is better!

20180522_225758.jpg

The two above and two aside on two autos approach. It would be cool to prove the theory that less autocob is actually more. I guess I'm in the camp of trying to prove that more is better!

View attachment 909904

It’s called bro-science which I have been accused of passing out in the past. :rofl:

Just think about the dli, I have heard people say certain autos or photos are high dli plants which had me scratch my head. Longer hours x less wattage = shorter hours x higher wattage That’s all it boils down to. Only after trying it did I read about it. Made perfect sense and was later happy to find out that it was real. At the end of the day the proof is in the growth. Sure they can handle more but it’s not needed.

It’s called bro-science which I have been accused of passing out in the past. :rofl:

Just think about the dli, I have heard people say certain autos or photos are high dli plants which had me scratch my head. Longer hours x less wattage = shorter hours x higher wattage That’s all it boils down to. Only after trying it did I read about it. Made perfect sense and was later happy to find out that it was real. At the end of the day the proof is in the growth. Sure they can handle more but it’s not needed.

Bro-science. That's a good one.

You say "sure they can handle more but its not needed". What strikes me is this question @BigSm0 : But does too much DLI hurt the plants? Does too much DLI make them smaller, shorter, weaker, less potent? Did you find any reading on that subject?

In that picture above I have light from above and the sides and I think the plants are loving it. I think I get really nice bud development all over these two indica based plants that are really quite bushy. One of them had a lot of leaf tucking done mind you. When doing the side lights it almost seems like a form of LST to me.

If everything is okay with them (health factor), than you can clearly see if you have too much DLI ---> if they're droppy before lights go out or through the day.
But it's pretty hard to see, lots of people has problems with roots, environment, over and underwatering, nutrient lockout etc...
If I turn my lights to 100% then I can see them drop 3 hours before lights go out. If I keep light at 75% then I don't see this next day.

If everything is okay with them (health factor), than you can clearly see if you have too much DLI ---> if they're droppy before lights go out or through the day.
But it's pretty hard to see, lots of people has problems with roots, environment, over and underwatering, nutrient lockout etc...
If I turn my lights to 100% then I can see them drop 3 hours before lights go out. If I keep light at 75% then I don't see this next day.

Ya I can see how a DLI issue can be hard to see and not noticed because there are other issues in play.

I was running lights 24 hours. But now with summer coming I have lights off during the heat of midday. So I'll have a look for this drooping thing from too much DLI before lights out. I can't say I've seen any drooping yet though. If I did I would have thought it was overwatering or something.

C0C6493A-2EC9-4B43-903C-1A4F7872E020.jpeg
C4696C85-5280-4D70-9720-827D1617F6D6.jpeg

There is about a 4 week difference between these pictures I’ve never had a problem with getting my plants to stretch with the autocobs I use 2-3500, 2-4000 and 2-6500 I actually have a bit too much stretch going on and hope the tops will be ok

Ya I can see how a DLI issue can be hard to see and not noticed because there are other issues in play.

I was running lights 24 hours. But now with summer coming I have lights off during the heat of midday. So I'll have a look for this drooping thing from too much DLI before lights out. I can't say I've seen any drooping yet though. If I did I would have thought it was overwatering or something.
Mine drop every day when they are ready for bed but they have done the even with Chinese lights so I just watched them then set my lights to that and run 18/6 has been my best up to 19/5 which is great also when I do a side by side of some strawberry nuggets next month im doing the 19/5 start To finish.

Back