Lighting Bigsm0 and the cob addiction

It may help to have it tested for sure. But it may not either. I went through the same thing. My canna plants suddenly started dying and I couldn't figure out what was the cause. Had my water tested twice. nothing particularly out of range. I bought an RO filter and POOF! my problems went away. Did an experiment about a year ago. I fed tap water to an exsisting plant that was just going into flower. Within a week it was brown and shriveled, looked likr I'd taken a torch to it!
IMO, going RO is a good investment no matter what, because you KNOW your water is pure.

should be able to send your water out for testing , some municipalities do it for free . See if there high levels of chlorine and chloramines as mentioned. Do a test run with bottled RO/DI water see if results change.

I have to agree with all the above @BigSm0 , I have had the same problem recently. I went from having hardly any problems (except for the usual, pilot errors) to germ problem galore and never before seen problems at 30-40 day of brown spotting/dying off of some fan leaves. I blamed it on the genetics and lowered my feed ppm thinking that might be the culprit and also added more Calmag to the regimen. I then remember that when I started up after my summer hiatus, I decided that I could further simplify my life and grow by using house water rather then chasing down gallons of RO water. When I went back and looked at the date when these problems starting occurring it all seemed to fall in line. I think my problem all along was the switch from RO water to house water. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and pay more or do more, it just doesn't pay to try and simplify. My lesson learned the hard way. I hope you find your answer!

I paid $80 for a good RO filter setup. It has lasted much longer than the cheap ebay one I had previously. The filters have lasted over a year and you can replace the filters and membrane for around $45.00 I'd say $45 a year is pretty cheap insurance.
The brand I have is Aquatic Life RO Buddie. Rated 100 Gallons a day ( can actually do 60-70 a day, which is quite good. I highly recommend it!

An accessory cost was a faucet adaptor, another $14.00.
I average I figure, 20 gallons a week, so over 1000 a year so a first year cost of less than $0.10 a gallon!

I have to agree with all the above @BigSm0 , I have had the same problem recently. I went from having hardly any problems (except for the usual, pilot errors) to germ problem galore and never before seen problems at 30-40 day of brown spotting/dying off of some fan leaves. I blamed it on the genetics and lowered my feed ppm thinking that might be the culprit and also added more Calmag to the regimen. I then remember that when I started up after my summer hiatus, I decided that I could further simplify my life and grow by using house water rather then chasing down gallons of RO water. When I went back and looked at the date when these problems starting occurring it all seemed to fall in line. I think my problem all along was the switch from RO water to house water. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and pay more or do more, it just doesn't pay to try and simplify. My lesson learned the hard way. I hope you find your answer!

I paid $80 for a good RO filter setup. It has lasted much longer than the cheap ebay one I had previously. The filters have lasted over a year and you can replace the filters and membrane for around $45.00 I'd say $45 a year is pretty cheap insurance.
The brand I have is Aquatic Life RO Buddie. Rated 100 Gallons a day ( can actually do 60-70 a day, which is quite good. I highly recommend it!

An accessory cost was a faucet adaptor, another $14.00.
I average I figure, 20 gallons a week, so over 1000 a year so a first year cost of less than $0.10 a gallon!
Wow, I drive to a store (gas costs!) and then pay $.40/gallon. I didn't think the costs were outrageous, just found that trying to find the time became increasingly more difficult when my normal life's schedule began to increase with demands on my time. I think I will look into the Aquatic Life RO Buddie , and see if I can work it into my home life without too much distraction. Thanks for sharing @pop22 .

your welcome! I live on a budget so the filter was a good investment. I was driving 12 miles one way for $0.25 a gallon filtered water. Saved money and time!

Wow, I drive to a store (gas costs!) and then pay $.40/gallon. I didn't think the costs were outrageous, just found that trying to find the time became increasingly more difficult when my normal life's schedule began to increase with demands on my time. I think I will look into the Aquatic Life RO Buddie , and see if I can work it into my home life without too much distraction. Thanks for sharing @pop22 .

I did try different water too. Luckily it’s well water and it’s filtered properly. One of my dozen licenses is water testing. Actually it may have expired by now but I still have half a clue. When I started Cobshop I couldn’t manage home inspections any longer so I had to drop it. Water was one of the licenses I decided to get.

Doing a Hail Mary. 50+ seed drop! It should be good or really suck. That’s a lot of pots and lights lol. I’m at the point now where I couldn’t care less as long as something lives.

A509EF16-CF5E-4707-A16B-E2618300F33E.png

I had my water tested twice with no indication of a problem, yet it was my water AND it is well water! I've recently emailed cornell U. in hopes of some suggestions of what may cause it.

also, wash your seeds before soaking with water and H2O2. add one ounce to 10 ounces of water. Wash your hands good also before handling your seeds. Fusarium kills a lot of seeds. its present in soil and also on your skin.

I did try different water too. Luckily it’s well water and it’s filtered properly. One of my dozen licenses is water testing. Actually it may have expired by now but I still have half a clue. When I started Cobshop I couldn’t manage home inspections any longer so I had to drop it. Water was one of the licenses I decided to get.

Doing a Hail Mary. 50+ seed drop! It should be good or really suck. That’s a lot of pots and lights lol. I’m at the point now where I couldn’t care less as long as something lives.

View attachment 1129678

@Dabber no pressure or anything but the revival of this thread is on you lol.

It’s been nearly 4 years on afn and I can still say it’s home. The stuff that’s happened in my grow, life and even Cobshop was pretty much all documented here. Over the past year I have had my hands full. It’s been good and bad but as far as growing goes it’s been terrible. Most wouldn’t start over more than once. I mean top to bottom clean and replace everything I could. I have now done it over a dozen times. The only thing I can think of is somehow my seeds went bad. Just enough life to get a few to germinate but days after they are dead. It’s a little depressing watching everyone around me show off record breaking harvests. Soil, water, pots, even the location had been changed. Same results with the same seeds. Fingers crossed!

Damn bro this doesn’t sound good. Just started hangin around again and I see this post. Good luck I’m sure you’ll get up and running.

It’s been nearly 4 years on afn and I can still say it’s home. The stuff that’s happened in my grow, life and even Cobshop was pretty much all documented here. Over the past year I have had my hands full. It’s been good and bad but as far as growing goes it’s been terrible. Most wouldn’t start over more than once. I mean top to bottom clean and replace everything I could. I have now done it over a dozen times. The only thing I can think of is somehow my seeds went bad. Just enough life to get a few to germinate but days after they are dead. It’s a little depressing watching everyone around me show off record breaking harvests. Soil, water, pots, even the location had been changed. Same results with the same seeds. Fingers crossed!

:bighug:Sm0 my man, great to see you poking about again! I do recall you have had a shit-lousy 2019, like so many here.. Staff room was like a freakin' soap opera with good folks having sack after sack of shite handed them... So here's to a low-BS content 2020! :goodluck::karmacloud::woohoo1:

You know, you're the 3rd notable person I've seen this last several months with this funky seed germ'ing issue! Some with stock that was fine before, no other significant changes :doh:... I blame Sun spots!
1579661869255.png
:crying:

Some folks using the paper towel method have traced the troubles to that,... cheap brands can be more loaded with chemicals than others, but all have residual crap in them. I rinse the hell out of mine if I need to sweat the germ', otherwise it's soak & sow for me...
For older seeds, I've been getting a bit better rates making a soak/germ solution with Ful-Power (pure liquid fulvic), Si, and Superthrive, all in a weak solution: RO water/boiled tap for a little pH buffering action, 2oz ... a few drops fulvic, 1 drop Si, 1 Superthrive,... worth a shot if you fancy!

yeeeshhhh :jointman: been some fat-phat harv's out there lately, I get the green envy- :rofl:... Take solace in the fact that some of them are using your lights!
About that, I've been off the grows too, it's a seasonal gig for me,... but one of my 'COB's is working on cooking up one of my most favorite orchids which is a deciduous seasonal bloomer, and now coming out of dormancy is prime bloom time. Last couple years it's been shitty, so this year I didn't clown around, I broke out the 3500K and have been bathing the Clowesia rosea's under it. I was also curious to see how they would respond to this type of light..
... verdict = :greenthumb::coffee: spikes are actually longer than usual, great flower count and color! Aroma's are very strong too: these have a sweet grapefruit Pledge (as opposed to lemon), dash of cinnamon-- heavenly! I'll drop a few pics in here when more blooms are open soon,...

Back