Lighting Bigsm0 and the cob addiction

I would have to agree here on the reflectors then in your case. You won't need them in that small of a tent with only three plants.

Hmmm, the general consensus seems to be, no reflectors, for the win. That's interesting. Has anyone tested, with meters, the difference in light intensity and coverage, with and without?
I haven’t done anything scientific, but have stuck a lux meter under one with/without and the difference was obvious.

Not a lot of data like that here but there is extensive data on other forums, you just don't need concentrated light in a tent with reflective walls. Not saying you can't use them but the difference will not be significant either way.

Hmmm, the general consensus seems to be, no reflectors, for the win. That's interesting. Has anyone tested, with meters, the difference in light intensity and coverage, with and without?

Reflectors in my opinion are good and bad. 2 years ago people said the little 55w light, now 60w light wouldn’t flower a daffodil and everyone needed 50watts per square foot. Now they are growing massive 8 foot tall autos @Dabber.

Just look closely at this picture. If people are still missing It I may be able to try a different way.
9ACCEBCA-0F58-4DBF-A0AE-6AEB080B1E2E.jpeg

I can’t answer the question, are they needed? Every space, grow, grower, strain, even nutrient concoction is different. This leads to a mix of suggestions and opinions. They are worth having but not always recommended. I own par meters and have tested them in just about every situation imaginable. The reflectors do increase the ppfd-photosynthetic photon flux density- light at the canopy significantly in just about every situation. This is also across the whole coverage area too and outside the recommended coverage area. When light travels further to hit a wall then is deflected down to the canopy this results in a lower ppfd. The #’s are astonishing. This increase for most are to much. In veg the plants seem to like more light. So some may see an increase during veg. In flower it seems to be the opposite. Generally more light is needed in flower but I see more light stress in flower with the same amount of light as being used in veg.

Most companies give a general height recommendation and leave everyone satasfied with the suggestion. It’s not that simple. I don’t want anyone to waste energy or not have enough power above. What I tell everyone is buy them and try them. If it seems like it’s adding to much light than take them off. If you feel you need more light this is a cheap way to do so.

Reflectors in my opinion are good and bad. 2 years ago people said the little 55w light, now 60w light wouldn’t flower a daffodil and everyone needed 50watts per square foot. Now they are growing massive 8 foot tall autos @Dabber.

Just look closely at this picture. If people are still missing It I may be able to try a different way. View attachment 951134

I can’t answer the question, are they needed? Every space, grow, grower, strain, even nutrient concoction is different. This leads to a mix of suggestions and opinions. They are worth having but not always recommended. I own par meters and have tested them in just about every situation imaginable. The reflectors do increase the ppfd-photosynthetic photon flux density- light at the canopy significantly in just about every situation. This is also across the whole coverage area too and outside the recommended coverage area. When light travels further to hit a wall then is deflected down to the canopy this results in a lower ppfd. The #’s are astonishing. This increase for most are to much. In veg the plants seem to like more light. So some may see an increase during veg. In flower it seems to be the opposite. Generally more light is needed in flower but I see more light stress in flower with the same amount of light as being used in veg.

Most companies give a general height recommendation and leave everyone satasfied with the suggestion. It’s not that simple. I don’t want anyone to waste energy or not have enough power above. What I tell everyone is buy them and try them. If it seems like it’s adding to much light than take them off. If you feel you need more light this is a cheap way to do so.
Thanks buddy. I want them, either way. I'm happy with the performance without them, and I ha e the 55w's. I just figured some of light, without reflectors would be lost. I will put it to the test in my garden...very soon!

Just look closely at this picture. If people are still missing It I may be able to try a different way. View attachment 951134

Looks like the biggest plant is the farther from direct light than the rest

Now for something else and please don’t take this as me bitching. It’s just been something building up for awhile. The consensus is/was 50w per sq’ until the AutoCob came in. I have helped a lot of folks and proven that this is not needed with autos. I currently had up until 2 days ago 6 cobs over a 4x10 space. Granted it wasn’t full but 4 plants are doing a great job at covering most of it. People are now questioning me saying I told them X number of lights in a space and I’m running less. It’s extremely hard to give everyone an exact answer but I do my best. On instagram I even go as far as checking peoples photos to see if they grow autos or photos. What I had was 2 cobs per plant. I regularly tell people one cob per plant, I’m also using 2 in a 4x4. So I’m over on the # of lights per plant but below the # of cobs per space. I just want to sell what people need and nothing more. While some people still run more wattage than I recommend with great results I feel it’s extremely wasteful and unnecessary. If you guys notice a lot more usually comes from a lot less.

You can always add more ( one of the advantages of the autocob), but if you need less, that $$ that you didn't need to spend. Sure having a spare or two isn't the worst thing in the world, but it's not like there is a 3 month wait-list to get autocobs. I like the philosophy of starting out with the minimum essential number, and determining your needs with some grows in your environment. I commend you for your honesty and ethics.

Back