Great post Blue!

We need to try this again a couple times. It may well be that the idea of "not transplanting" by placing a pot with the bottom removed in a bigger pot is just a waste of time, as I've suspected it may be. a tap root likes depth but what’s more important, and I've shown this with my grow of Blue Dragon in a large, but shallow pot, is surface area for the feeder roots.

The first three inches or so of soil are the most active ( as it gets the most oxygen ), so my assumption ( lets prove or disprove this! ) that this is not an effective way to transplant. As with Blue's example, could this plant have grown larger, if directly transplanted to a larger pot?

And here are more questions testing this theory could answer: When it too soon to transplant? When is it too late? This is where this section should be going!

Can someone please tell what having a small
index.php
pot on a big pot doe's , I have seen this before and don;t understand it .

This is great stuff! Are you documenting this? If so, post a link here and keep us updated!

I'm at the six week point in a high temperature grow of NLBB & Bubblelicious ... Twice a week for 6 hrs the temps are cooled by AC to 85* ... the rest of the time the grow space ranges between 90* and 98* ... plants are doing well but it remains to be seen if flowering will be affected ...
:toke:
https://www.autoflower.org/index.php?threads/high-temps-nlbb-bubblelicious.45970/page-6#post-867552

Awesome! Keep us up to date on this! Try baby cereal maybe, I've heard that is good. Only one way to find out!

:pass:
This is my experimental grow, feeding with CSM Baby Milk Formula.
Added fish Blood and Bone to soil mix as the Milk Powde don't have Nitrogen.
Working well, so far at 7 weeks.View attachment 469309

Dinafem White Cheese

I think it was @Rebel or @sniper that knows how to rock a Tier properly. I've clearly stunted both plants in those above and haven't tried since .. but it could be a good way for maxing space and sexing regs as GoAuto suggested (mine were females, i was just trying for giggles)

@FullDuplex was one of the first people i heard of who were tiering plants, and wrote the guide some 5 or 6 years ago.
He's not on so often, but may swing by with some pearls of wisdom.

@Sweet Seeds Jay would be a good person to ask about transplanting timescales as i think they regularly start in small pots!

(Just tagging some people in to see if we can prize some nuggets of info from them lol)

Although very different it's interesting to look at roots of the mighty oak tree - you'd be surpized how shallow they are! :)

yes, that is something I do ( at least for the small, private breeders from whom 90% of my seed comes from ) I asked Mossy's permission to name my cross as a Dragon, as I used her durrty Dragon as a parent. I also acknowledged that I used Blueberry Headband from Emerald Triangle as the female donor. I felt no obligation however, to ask their permission to make the cross as I'm not selling any.

However, this thread is not really about crossing strains, we already know it works and there are tons of threads to explain how to. But what would be appropriate would be maybe: Will this strain grow in swamp mud? How cold can the weather be truly before it harms the plant? I see much written about this, but little to support any conclusion. I've had some very nice seedlings appear in a soil bin, that was outdoors and day time temp in the upper 20's (F) to low 30's. How long would they survive at temps like that? Would autos, due to their Ruderalis genes grow in temps in the 30's to mid 40's?

:pass:

Also @seasickdee2 - if you know the person that gave you the seeds or pollen to cross with, it'd be a nice idea to offer your cross back to them.

If i ever get my breeding hat on, i'd definately want to share my creation with the person that made it possible :)

I tried it once also,and it didn't go very well. I have seen some people putting it firstly in a coke bottle filled with soil on top of a pot of soil so the roots can race down quicker and apparently marijuana roots prefer long thin pots? Maybe starting it like,this helps? We will soon find out

Just to let you guys know, I have no plans to,sell any seeds created.

Like pops said... I'm gonna use,this to try a few things mostly stressing the plants to see how they go and try to mould them into growing up rather than out etc. Wacky stuff

Hey @pop22

I'm looking at this thread and as you are the Frankensteins Laboratory Quartermaster i had an idea on how you may like to keep things accessible.

This would be a great thread for people to request what "Experiment" or "Myth Bust" they'd like to see and then perhaps setup another thread under Frankensteins Lab with the subject matter for it to be investigated.

Frankensteins Lab
- Autoflower-myth-busting-and-experimental-section (STICKY)
- Experiment: Tiering Method
- Myth Bust: Transplant
- Myth Bust: Fimming (uh-oh)
- Experiment: Baby Milk Feed

Your call obviously as it's your section, but it could help keep the Experiments accessible and save people hunting in here for them.

Let us know if you need any extra permissions and we'll get it sorted :)

Great post Blue!

We need to try this again a couple times. It may well be that the idea of "not transplanting" by placing a pot with the bottom removed in a bigger pot is just a waste of time, as I've suspected it may be. a tap root likes depth but what’s more important, and I've shown this with my grow of Blue Dragon in a large, but shallow pot, is surface area for the feeder roots.

The first three inches or so of soil are the most active ( as it gets the most oxygen ), so my assumption ( lets prove or disprove this! ) that this is not an effective way to transplant. As with Blue's example, could this plant have grown larger, if directly transplanted to a larger pot?

And here are more questions testing this theory could answer: When it too soon to transplant? When is it too late? This is where this section should be going!
I personally try to transplant before the tap root gets to the bottom of the first pot, this way the tap root can carry on travelling down, and the first 3 inches of roots are established for oxygen intake. all about timing I think, or maybe just pot luck! Definitely worth further investigation :)

I think it was @Rebel or @sniper that knows how to rock a Tier properly. I've clearly stunted both plants in those above and haven't tried since .. but it could be a good way for maxing space and sexing regs as GoAuto suggested (mine were females, i was just trying for giggles)

@FullDuplex was one of the first people i heard of who were tiering plants, and wrote the guide some 5 or 6 years ago.
He's not on so often, but may swing by with some pearls of wisdom.

@Sweet Seeds Jay would be a good person to ask about transplanting timescales as i think they regularly start in small pots!

(Just tagging some people in to see if we can prize some nuggets of info from them lol)

Although very different it's interesting to look at roots of the mighty oak tree - you'd be surpized how shallow they are! :)

Would be interesting to hear from @mephisto on this one also, as Mitch has mentioned many time that they nearly always transplant from smaller pots after the first couple of weeks.

Blue, I'm very much in favor of your idea! Can you help with that? I don't know who could or how to do that.

Hey @pop22

I'm looking at this thread and as you are the Frankensteins Laboratory Quartermaster i had an idea on how you may like to keep things accessible.

This would be a great thread for people to request what "Experiment" or "Myth Bust" they'd like to see and then perhaps setup another thread under Frankensteins Lab with the subject matter for it to be investigated.

Frankensteins Lab
- Autoflower-myth-busting-and-experimental-section (STICKY)
- Experiment: Tiering Method
- Myth Bust: Transplant
- Myth Bust: Fimming (uh-oh)
- Experiment: Baby Milk Feed

Your call obviously as it's your section, but it could help keep the Experiments accessible and save people hunting in here for them.

Let us know if you need any extra permissions and we'll get it sorted :)

Back