Grow Room 2017 PC Micro Grows with Mr. Sparkle

Bogan Day 11 of flower, things moving along looking good, nothing much to say

View attachment 772679

Ashla on the other hand *big middle finger* to some fungus gnats who have taken up home in the case due to its nice wet ideal environment, so im gonna have to let it run dry for awhile to interrupt their breeding cycle to kill them off.
But as far as the organic nutrient test as you can see the 0.5 and 1.0 is showing deficiencies quite a bit now so two were chopped as i needed the pots anyways for my bucket and didn't want to sew up any more just quite yet, so i have a single 1.0 two 2.0 the younger two 3.0 and a single 4.0 left, the 2.0 are looking really healthy but i expect them to fade later on so we will see, also some phosphorus deficiencies popped up on only the older leaves that would of been affected during the dry spell, so im holding off judgement for now.
View attachment 772680
A strong neem soak on the soil kills their larvae. This was the only way I hot rid of them in my cabinet. I did it every other day for a week or so. When you pour it on the soil you can watch the little larvae bastards come to the surface and die. It is greatly rewarding. The neem causes the larvae to die but not the adults. But as we know the reproduction cycle is what we need to kill. For the adults I use
pyrethrin. I am only an organic grower so these are all organic.
Someone talked me into getting one of those "air-pots" for a grow....or like I call them "fungus gnat apartment buildings". Never again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Only just noticed that you are doing C99 (photo) x DD (auto) crosses.
This is so, so close to what I am thinking of doing.
Working on some kind of Jack Herer based autos.
The DD has the Big Devil XL (?) which has Jack in it.
Plus the C99 of course.

Where is your C99 father from?
(Guessing it's the father, because the DD is only fem...)

I'm ideally looking for a nice Jack or Cinderella auto with regular seeds.
And then maybe work with Sweet Seeds Jack 47, Dark Devil or Black Jack.
Have grown out the first two, and have seeds of the last.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this!!!

So the red / purple was dominant in the cross.
That's a cool sign of how strong that gene is.
Can't imagine the C99 has a lot of purple.

Technically the C99 was the mother as it was the female but saying that the dark devils are only available feminized, my original goal there was to just make some extra DD seeds to have some more to play around with, so i reversed one of the females with colloidal silver "done it in the past on other plants" and used some of that pollen on a C99 Photoperiod that i also had growing at the time, so because of that the first generation wasn't gonna be auto which i forgot about till about 4+ weeks in, so they were both "mothers" per say but i was a reversed DD that contributed the pollen, i would of prefered a male c99 or male DD to do the cross but you gotta use what you have.

As for what c99 it was a Female Seeds C99, which for the price and what you get i highly recommend giving a try.

As for the cross being that the C99 is a pretty pale plant "yellow tones" that really never gets dark the purple could easily come through especially near the end, they did vary like they should, but you could definitely tell it was cross between the two, subsequent generations i suspect it to be harder to hold onto that though, unless i crossed back to the DD or only pick the more dominant ones to cross together for f2's, which honestly were the better ones anyways in that cross that i've tried so far.

Unfortunately i don't know of any good jacks or cinderella's is regular auto form as there is a lot of junk autos out there from companies just trying to get some market share but they don't put in the work in order to make good genetics and typically focus only on their photoperiod seeds which are typically from clone only "elites" and honestly to the industry it make a lot more sense to only make feminized seeds especially with autos if you want repeat customers, also that is where the sales as a lot of people don't want to bother with making selections or weeding out males, but you know were the rarity in those regards.

And yeah the Dark Devil is a Big Devil XL cross with what i presume was some PCK "Pakistani Chitral Kush" due to the info and dominance of that purple gene, I actually just started a Big Devil XL alongside a Cream Mandarine XL and a Red Poison for my bucket so we will see how it turns out.

I'll run some more of that cross in the future just to make sure but my first run of it i would say the sum of the two wasn't greater than them by themselves but need to grow more to be sure and also my tastes tend to bounce around a bit so what i may like one month the next three i won't touch the stuff.

Technically the C99 was the mother as it was the female but saying that the dark devils are only available feminized, my original goal there was to just make some extra DD seeds to have some more to play around with, so i reversed one of the females with colloidal silver "done it in the past on other plants" and used some of that pollen on a C99 Photoperiod that i also had growing at the time, so because of that the first generation wasn't gonna be auto which i forgot about till about 4+ weeks in, so they were both "mothers" per say but i was a reversed DD that contributed the pollen, i would of prefered a male c99 or male DD to do the cross but you gotta use what you have.

As for what c99 it was a Female Seeds C99, which for the price and what you get i highly recommend giving a try.

As for the cross being that the C99 is a pretty pale plant "yellow tones" that really never gets dark the purple could easily come through especially near the end, they did vary like they should, but you could definitely tell it was cross between the two, subsequent generations i suspect it to be harder to hold onto that though, unless i crossed back to the DD or only pick the more dominant ones to cross together for f2's, which honestly were the better ones anyways in that cross that i've tried so far.

Unfortunately i don't know of any good jacks or cinderella's is regular auto form as there is a lot of junk autos out there from companies just trying to get some market share but they don't put in the work in order to make good genetics and typically focus only on their photoperiod seeds which are typically from clone only "elites" and honestly to the industry it make a lot more sense to only make feminized seeds especially with autos if you want repeat customers, also that is where the sales as a lot of people don't want to bother with making selections or weeding out males, but you know were the rarity in those regards.

And yeah the Dark Devil is a Big Devil XL cross with what i presume was some PCK "Pakistani Chitral Kush" due to the info and dominance of that purple gene, I actually just started a Big Devil XL alongside a Cream Mandarine XL and a Red Poison for my bucket so we will see how it turns out.

I'll run some more of that cross in the future just to make sure but my first run of it i would say the sum of the two wasn't greater than them by themselves but need to grow more to be sure and also my tastes tend to bounce around a bit so what i may like one month the next three i won't touch the stuff.
Been running a C99 I got from peakseedsbc. It is not on the website but email Mike the breader and he may hook it up. I have a pineapple pheno that is killer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the detailed reply, my friend.
That's some pretty cool info there, thank you.
:love:

Bogan day 14 of flower, moving along had to bend over the one DD in the back left, but they are all doing pretty good.

20170701_144356.jpg

Ashla though is fading and pretty much all the plants, plucked some of the bottom leaves, so im coming to the conclusion that this whole test might be a bust, as the plants in the other case are all running organic as well and what would be equivalent to a 2.0-3.0 concentration but are on some reused stuff where the bacteria content would be a bit stronger but they are all doing fine so that plus the fungus gnats i might just toss it all, and retire this case over the next couple months and bring it back out in fall if i decide to do some multi plant pheno hunting runs, i don't know it might just be time to move on from this case, as the other one consistently runs better and with less issues, even though they seemed to be all worked out now.
20170701_150056.jpg

Chapter 23 "The Purge"

Or that's what this post title should be lol, so as you can see i did a clean out of both boxes, don't know if ill keep those two auto's in the second case or move them to the first just to shut down the other case or put new stuff in it don't really know what ill be doing next, and haven't thought about it, or whether i maybe just go straight auto for the next while or run some photos i still have, but side note any of the plants i keep will have to be fed for the next 3-4 weeks anyways.

Both cases were showing nitrogen deficiencies as they focused on throwing their lack of stored nutrients to their buds now that the flowering stage is in full swing, i defoliated all the yellow leaves just because.

20170704_172246.jpg

20170704_171856.jpg

Something to note this was the difference between a 1.0 and 2.0 in my organic amendment test i was trying, also note that i plucked the fan leaves just to show the difference better with the bud formation before they got the chop.

20170704_171648.jpg

Also the newer pots are better and i have noticed keep things a bit wetter on average but still air prune but also drive roots out and down which was my goal so thumbs up on that, here is a shaken out "de-soiled" root system from one of the DD 4week old plants, would definitely say its getting maxed out, just comes out as a solid cylinder from the pot.

20170703_133704.jpg

Last edited:
Moved some things around and started some new seeds.

So Bogan will be getting the new seedlings for the first while then they will get transferred to the other case as all of these are photo periods, so if they all grow i'll have a Luther Dogman from CH9, Purple TrainWreck from Humboldt seeds, two blueberry x dark devil crosses, and 2 past crosses of my own called Mr.E, i might start two more seeds as well of some other photo periods but i also have two clones one each of the KC33 and Leda Uno that might be used to fill the space but i want to see a bit further with the ones currently flowering if they look promising or not to run again.

This will probably be my last photo period run for awhile as honestly the auto's out perform photo periods in cycle time to harvest and final yield when your not concerned with the extra electricity input which just makes them even when factoring in that aspect, but i like that ability to run greater yielding plants in less time.

Also have some more new auto strains on the way, but i don't like to count my chickens before they hatch so once they get here i'll share and start a couple.

Oh and Ashla is currently running all the leftovers on a 12/12 cycle, which isn't ideal for the two autos but whatever they will finish if i let them all go to harvest.

20170709_092056.jpg

20170709_092157.jpg

This post should be probably Labeled "Rebirth" , so i was contemplating it but decided to ditch it all and retire the one case till probably winter, two reasons for that first that organic mix i was building up well yeah looked like possibly some root aphids got into it from my best guest at what the larva looked like, which makes me question if it was indeed fungus gnats in the first place but the larva matched at that time but i never bothered looking close up at any of the adults, so i just tossed it.

Second reason even though i was starting a new photo period round is that i've been thinking about this for a bit and was throwing around a couple calculations but have come to the greater realization that for myself and how i like to grow Auto's are just better overall for my application that photo periods and they aren't worth my time for my own goals.

Now im not saying Photo periods don't have their place, as their obvious advantage is you can run clones of the same thing over and over and or reveg a plant if you liked it, but for myself once you factor in the extra space and energy needed to keep a dedicated veg chamber that may be half filled with yielding autos and having to run photo periods for 2.5-3 week longer comparably, and the lower yield in the end it just doesn't add up for myself and how i like to grow.

As here's a quick break down from past results on a time vs energy vs yield stand point

With photo periods i have to run them for 2.5-3 weeks initially in a 18/6 veg cycle then they will finish out in 8-10 weeks under 12/12 yielding roughly 5-7g per plant in that time, with running up to 8 plants in my smaller Black case "Bogan" which runs at 65 W
So breaking it down that's between 64-79 kWh over 10.5-13 weeks with a yield of 40-56 g

Now with Auto's running on a solid 18/6 schedule they finish in 8-9.5 weeks with a yield of 8-9 g per plant
So again 65.5-78 kWh over 8-9.5 weeks with a total yield of 64-72 g

Even at a 20/4 schedule it would be between 73-86.5 kWh and my yield is still greater percentage wise vs the energy difference used vs photo periods

So for myself with how i like to grow from seed to harvest with multiple plants and genetics and making and running my own crosses or mashups that i get to play around with and hunt for those mixes that i really enjoy, i can say Auto's fit my bill quite a bit better in those regards as i get more yield in less time with a tiny bit more energy use, and not to mention the whole reason i had two cases in the first place was specifically for that dedicated veg and flower chambers that i've been doing for years so i guess you can now label me as a full auto convert.

So retired Ashla for now, and we have an empty Bogan, so i need to decided on some autos to run, i also have some genetics on the way from a recent sale that happened or should say Illuminauto drop but till i have them in hand no sense in talking about them.

Here's and empty case that needs a clean lol
20170715_091002.jpg

RIP Ashla - 2017 :smoking:
I recently bought sweet seeds auto mix, which gets you 10 mixed auto seeds of different strains from sweet seeds catalog of that year including red ones like Dark Devil. It might be good for strain variety of your grows as well Mr. Sparkle.

Back