Already getting some more green through. Question, how do you water to run off in a large pot without over watering in early stages of flower. View attachment 1318434View attachment 1318435

Not possible IMO .. the coco will absorb the water in a big pot before hitting the bottom (unless its REALLY/far too dry). Starting in coco is tricky. You need to add nutrition at the right amount, and to do this, most people need an EC meter. Also PH is more important as coco doesn't buffer like some soils. (shows how long it's been since my last coco grow :rofl: ... seems canna coco pro+ does buffer to some extent)

If you're dead set on using coco going forward, I'd check out how St Tom start his (usually solo cups i think).

If you're not dead set on using coco going forwards, it's a lot easier to use a prebuilt and reliable soil (like biobizz lightmix) and a very very simple nute lineup will probably get you better results.

Coco is a fantastic medium, but requires more care and knowledge IMO, and (for me anyway) is a lot more time consuming.

I also think that getting a good start (0-20days) is the most important part of an Autoflower grow, and will often be a deciding factor of how the plant turns out.

I don't mean this to sound discouraging :D .. just talking plainly!
:bighug:

Last edited:
Question, how do you water to run off in a large pot without over watering in early stages of flower.
Stay close to the seedlings while watering. You'll see it coming out of your fabric pot below where the seedling is. Off course you'll need to expand your radius of watering as days go by so the rootsystem can expand as well. At least this is how I'm did it in my current grow. By now I'm watering the entire pot every day with 5L of solution. This gives me plenty of runoff and prevents an imbalance caused by salt buildup.
I will have to recommend you buy a pH and EC pen. Those pens are actually more important than any other tool you can buy for your hobby. They don't have to cost hundreds of $/€, but don't buy the really cheap ones. You get what you buy ;)
I bought these ones and am very pleased with it. --> pH pen & EC pen. Do buy yourself calibration liquid or the powder baggies you can get from Ali. For the powder baggies you'll need RO or distilled water to mix up your calibration solution. Top tip: weigh your water as this is more accurate then measuring the volume ;)

Stay close to the seedlings while watering. You'll see it coming out of your fabric pot below where the seedling is. Off course you'll need to expand your radius of watering as days go by so the rootsystem can expand as well. At least this is how I'm did it in my current grow. By now I'm watering the entire pot every day with 5L of solution. This gives me plenty of runoff and prevents an imbalance caused by salt buildup.
I will have to recommend you buy a pH and EC pen. Those pens are actually more important than any other tool you can buy for your hobby. They don't have to cost hundreds of $/€, but don't buy the really cheap ones. You get what you buy ;)
I bought these ones and am very pleased with it. --> pH pen & EC pen. Do buy yourself calibration liquid or the powder baggies you can get from Ali. For the powder baggies you'll need RO or distilled water to mix up your calibration solution. Top tip: weigh your water as this is more accurate then measuring the volume ;)
I have a ph kit. It's just like a fish tank style one. Yeah I definitely need to invest in a bluelab or something along those lines

Not possible IMO .. the coco will absorb the water in a big pot before hitting the bottom (unless its REALLY/far too dry). Starting in coco is tricky. You need to add nutrition at the right amount, and to do this, most people need an EC meter. Also PH is more important as coco doesn't buffer like some soils. (shows how long it's been since my last coco grow :rofl: ... seems canna coco pro+ does buffer to some extent)

If you're dead set on using coco going forward, I'd check out how St Tom start his (usually solo cups i think).

If you're not dead set on using coco going forwards, it's a lot easier to use a prebuilt and reliable soil (like biobizz lightmix) and a very very simple nute lineup will probably get you better results.

Coco is a fantastic medium, but requires more care and knowledge IMO, and (for me anyway) is a lot more time consuming.

I also think that getting a good start (0-20days) is the most important part of an Autoflower grow, and will often be a deciding factor of how the plant turns out.

I don't mean this to sound discouraging :D .. just talking plainly!
:bighug:
I've always grown with coco and have always had good results. It's just so confronting when one person says you can't over water in it. Another says you can. Some say about salt build ups but I'm sure I've never had one. I only ask as i still am learning and each plant I do so. They are now day 11 I believe and are starting to do some moving and shaking

I didn't realise you don't use a pH meter or an EC meter to grow in Coco you need these there part of every growers toolkit .also as blue says I start all my girls in solo cups and the reason I started with them was at the beginning when I started growing I was same as worried about overwatering ect but this makes it very easy to manage them early on and if you go into my sanlight thread you will see how I start mine .anyhow if your not on a budget I'd go bluelab I own the combi meter myself

I've always grown with coco and have always had good results.

Yeah I see you've had some good results since your first coco grow in Jan 2020. It looks like it's just the starts that need nailing down, the first 20 days.

I'd follow St Toms method, and think you'll be much happier with the progress.

For my sitiuation with family commitments and work etc, I could not no longer spend the required time getting everything just right with coco. I think i nailed it after a few years of growing coco only .. but then times changed and i needed to adapt!

Wishing you luck with the new seedlings and hope they do you proud like the others! :D

:vibe:

Yeah I see you've had some good results since your first coco grow in Jan 2020. It looks like it's just the starts that need nailing down, the first 20 days.

I'd follow St Toms method, and think you'll be much happier with the progress.

For my sitiuation with family commitments and work etc, I could not no longer spend the required time getting everything just right with coco. I think i nailed it after a few years of growing coco only .. but then times changed and i needed to adapt!

Wishing you luck with the new seedlings and hope they do you proud like the others! :D

:vibe:

Touch wood I have had some really good grows and made alot of improvements. They are just always soo slow starting. These ones now are finally catching up. Once I have some income again "been off work for a dislocated elbow"
20210516_135512.jpg

20210516_135509.jpg

@blue @St. Tom was thinking. On my next grow how would I go putting a cylinder down around my seadling. That ran to the bottom of my geo pot. That way it wouldn't soak the rest of the coco and then once its growing stronger I could pull the tube up without putting too much stress on the plant

They are slowly coming along. Thinking now they will take off and I'll get to turn on the third light haha. We'll not quite but I'm a little less stressed. Question will be how similar they will grow to each other
20210517_195728.jpg
20210517_195722.jpg

She's really taking off now bro but you need to pick up a pH meter more than anything both an EC aswell would be better as if your pH is out it lock a lot of nutes out also I would just start them in solo cups but it's your choice bro

Back