Grow Mediums Welcome to the Autopot Forum!

If you use auto pots, your fine here! Nice to se a long term users. I've not heard of many people switching back to any other system once they've run auto pots!

I now have enough for my various grow spaces, 10 pots in total. I'm buying a 30 gallon trash can to convert into a res to feed all pots from a single res

Hey Guys and Gals. I'm new to the site, but might I add It's a very nice setup. I really like the the AutoPot section. I don't grow Autos but I've been growing in Autopots for about 3 years. I've ran fully automated hydro systems for years, but when I started using the AutoPot I fell in love.
I hope you all don't mind me being here since I don't grow Autos, but I do use AutoPots so maybe I can pick up a few tips.

After I chop the 2 auto BD, I'll post a pic of my out of control Blue Dragon photo period.......which I thought was an auto lol!

I am seriously considering drilling holes in the sides of my 6 x 3.9 gallon AutoPots with AirDomes. I see only upsides - overall better media aeration of the upper media portion. [I'm looking at seedlings growing in AirPots and keep thinking having no air access/venting on the sides and bottom just can't be good].

Presuming I only add some small holes above the bottom few inches so as not to affect basic AutoPot functionalities (AutoValve, AirDome, hydroton layer, wicking, etc.), any reason not just do this? At worst, the holes can be easily covered with tape, filled with dab of silicone or other glue, etc. (and opened just as easily when desired).

I've run both soil and coco in them. With an airdome, you really don't need them. With coco, you don't even need the airdome. look at this plant, no air pumped in at all, growing in coco/perlite 70/30, using 500 ppms of GrowMore Seagrow 16-16-16

bluedragons pic1 -9-6-2016.jpg

I am seriously considering drilling holes in the sides of my 6 x 3.9 gallon AutoPots with AirDomes. I see only upsides - overall better media aeration of the upper media portion. [I'm looking at seedlings growing in AirPots and keep thinking having no air access/venting on the sides and bottom just can't be good].

Presuming I only add some small holes above the bottom few inches so as not to affect basic AutoPot functionalities (AutoValve, AirDome, hydroton layer, wicking, etc.), any reason not just do this? At worst, the holes can be easily covered with tape, filled with dab of silicone or other glue, etc. (and opened just as easily when desired).

and that's 4 days ago.........lol!

I've run both soil and coco in them. With an airdome, you really don't need them. With coco, you don't even need the airdome. look at this plant, no air pumped in at all, growing in coco/perlite 70/30, using 500 ppms of GrowMore Seagrow 16-16-16

View attachment 629940
OK, so added aeration holes are not needed, but would you agree that there will be no downsides from adding some mid-upper level side aeration holes, and that it may help (at least for seedlings just getting established in the AutoPot)?

I'm all for experimentation! I look forward to your thread! Likely to show results with soil, but I don't believe coco will benefit. It drains quickly and draws air in as it drys. And the aqua valve is designed to not re-open until the pot reservoir is dry.

OK, so added aeration holes are not needed, but would you agree that there will be no downsides from adding some mid-upper level side aeration holes, and that it may help (at least for seedlings just getting established in the AutoPot)?

Any opinions on how many pots would be optimal for a 5x5 tent? I can't decide between the 3.9 gallon or 6.6 gallon systems. Thanks!

Depends what strains you want to grow.......I have 6 x 25 L(6.6Gal.) pots in 5x5 tents and tried growing 6 x DP Ultimates in one, let's just say 3 would have been plenty enough. If you plan on smaller strains, 9 x 25 L would be fine too in the same space.

One of those questions with many answers.....lol......but as far as I'm concerned, bigger pots = larger plants = bigger yield, and then you adjust the number of pots to the strain(s) you're growing to the space available.

But make no mistake, like @pop22 said, Autopots grow big plants no kidding. Nevertheless, I'll gradually replace mine with WaterFarms though, as I believe they are even more efficient, and importantly they are self contained.
Just harvested a DP Think Big in 90 days a week ago, with water temps never below 27 c and going up to 33 c on occasion, let alone ambient ranging from 32 - 41 c and this is what happened......1172 g wet and 342 g of dried
harvest.gif

......still have trouble believing it happened......
Kramer9.gif

CameraZOOM-20160904134438659.jpg

CameraZOOM-20160905204715377a.jpg

Any opinions on how many pots would be optimal for a 5x5 tent? I can't decide between the 3.9 gallon or 6.6 gallon systems. Thanks!

Back