Grow Mediums Welcome to the Autopot Forum!

Depends what strains you want to grow.......I have 6 x 25 L(6.6Gal.) pots in 5x5 tents and tried growing 6 x DP Ultimates in one, let's just say 3 would have been plenty enough. If you plan on smaller strains, 9 x 25 L would be fine too in the same space.

One of those questions with many answers.....lol......but as far as I'm concerned, bigger pots = larger plants = bigger yield, and then you adjust the number of pots to the strain(s) you're growing to the space available.

But make no mistake, like @pop22 said, Autopots grow big plants no kidding. Nevertheless, I'll gradually replace mine with WaterFarms though, as I believe they are even more efficient, and importantly they are self contained.
Just harvested a DP Think Big in 90 days a week ago, with water temps never below 27 c and going up to 33 c on occasion, let alone ambient ranging from 32 - 41 c and this is what happened......1172 g wet and 342 g of dried

Wow! That's awesome!

Any particular WaterFarms setup you recommend? Also, what nutrient line do you use? Thanks again for the info!

When using 25L pots, were you able to plant directly from rooted clone without issue? I'm a soil guy, so I'm used to up-potting as opposed to planting directly into your final pot.

I hasten to add that I still think Autopots are great, but as I grow in an attic, the thought of 200 l of water from my reservoirs escaping through a hanging/stuck auto valve is no laughing matter. I've never had a malfunction yet through some 30 plus autopot grows, so it's not something I worry about constantly, but first glance when going up to the grow room every day is the carpet around the tents.....

The WaterFarm Think Big was in coco rather than clay pellets and it was my first Cocoponic grow.... aye, sampling some TB can have semantic consequences....... and actually the reason for trying the WaterFarm apart from the leakage worry, is the annoying hassle of getting rid of soil with perlite which to me is a dead giveaway or at least suspicious, and might lead someone to call the snitch line for botanical constable snooping.
I've also got the 25 L Aquafarm ACS system with 4 pots and it's about to enter active duty in a couple of days, albeit with a 200 L reservoir rather than the standard reservoir, which will retire as a stand for pits with plants when changing the dilution, so no hands on tales yet. One major niggle with this system is recirculating and although I got away with not using the water chiller I've borrowed, I put it down to beginners luck that no bad pathogen got attracted to the WF, it's prolly just a matter of time.
Another disadvantage, at least for me, is that in the WF the plant is feeding from the solution, rather than off the reservoir like in the Autopots. The ACS system actually come with a drain pump, so changing solution is quick and simple. I'll mod t and tweak the the whole system a hit to fit my specific grow setup

I generally use the GH line of feeds and additives, FloraNova ,following on the footsteps of @captain beefheart here https://www.autoflower.org/threads/how-get-huge-autos-with-coco-and-now-autopots.46286/ and I'll try FloraDuo with the Aquafarm system. The TB was grown with Flora Nova Bloom from start to finish as the main stable, finished with GH Ripen and Florakleen the last 2 weeks, and liquid Great White Myco. Dunno if it actually worked, but since no baddies emerged, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. I very happy with the GH nutes, and although I dance with this that and the other, it is my preferred nute line.

Choosing between Autopots and the GH drip systems is really a question of what best suits a specific grow setup and personal preferences, both are top notch grow "pots"/systems, and I'll likely only ever again use my Airpots and smartpots for the odd novelty grows in the vegging snug.....First up a 30 L Airpot on a rotating display stand, either DP's AutoExtreme or auto Euphoria .... Lol..... Can canna get dizzy.... That would be a poetic turn of the tables so to speak.........
Gotcha-Meme-Face-Picture-100x99.jpg

And the water farm has its own set of problems, more things to break, fail, leak, plug up, use electricity. Everything is a trade off. Its the simplicity AND the effectiveness that makes auto pots popular. I'll never do any other hydro, as a regular thing, ever again. And I can't imagine what would leak in an auto pot system once all connections were confirmed. Unless you trip over a length of tubing and yank it out, or step on a fitting, even then, you'd fix it right then. Of course, if you have maybe Terrier size rats, or gremlins or such, well............lol!

I find coco in auto pots to be my ideal setup, I'm even cutting way back on organic soil grows, most of that will be in the greenhouse. I'm composting / burying the coco in my raised beds and compost bins. I bet though disposing of Mapito or rockwool would be a real issue...

I hasten to add that I still think Autopots are great, but as I grow in an attic, the thought of 200 l of water from my reservoirs escaping through a hanging/stuck auto valve is no laughing matter. I've never had a malfunction yet through some 30 plus autopot grows, so it's not something I worry about constantly, but first glance when going up to the grow room every day is the carpet around the tents.....

The WaterFarm Think Big was in coco rather than clay pellets and it was my first Cocoponic grow.... aye, sampling some TB can have semantic consequences....... and actually the reason for trying the WaterFarm apart from the leakage worry, is the annoying hassle of getting rid of soil with perlite which to me is a dead giveaway or at least suspicious, and might lead someone to call the snitch line for botanical constable snooping.
I've also got the 25 L Aquafarm ACS system with 4 pots and it's about to enter active duty in a couple of days, albeit with a 200 L reservoir rather than the standard reservoir, which will retire as a stand for pits with plants when changing the dilution, so no hands on tales yet. One major niggle with this system is recirculating and although I got away with not using the water chiller I've borrowed, I put it down to beginners luck that no bad pathogen got attracted to the WF, it's prolly just a matter of time.
Another disadvantage, at least for me, is that in the WF the plant is feeding from the solution, rather than off the reservoir like in the Autopots. The ACS system actually come with a drain pump, so changing solution is quick and simple. I'll mod t and tweak the the whole system a hit to fit my specific grow setup

I generally use the GH line of feeds and additives, FloraNova ,following on the footsteps of @captain beefheart here https://www.autoflower.org/threads/how-get-huge-autos-with-coco-and-now-autopots.46286/ and I'll try FloraDuo with the Aquafarm system. The TB was grown with Flora Nova Bloom from start to finish as the main stable, finished with GH Ripen and Florakleen the last 2 weeks, and liquid Great White Myco. Dunno if it actually worked, but since no baddies emerged, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. I very happy with the GH nutes, and although I dance with this that and the other, it is my preferred nute line.

Choosing between Autopots and the GH drip systems is really a question of what best suits a specific grow setup and personal preferences, both are top notch grow "pots"/systems, and I'll likely only ever again use my Airpots and smartpots for the odd novelty grows in the vegging snug.....First up a 30 L Airpot on a rotating display stand, either DP's AutoExtreme or auto Euphoria .... Lol..... Can canna get dizzy.... That would be a poetic turn of the tables so to speak......... View attachment 630871

I've seen a couple stories around the 'Net of folks growing with aquavalves that they stuck open a little somehow and the res drained. I worry about the same thing with the Blumats. Pretty basic parts on both, though, so I would think as long as you keep things clean it would take some strange circumstances to get either one to stick open.

Yeah,that's true, and I hear you loud and clear on the Mapito, I got an 80 l bagful to dispute of, which turned out to be actual barely enough to fill 2 x 25 L Autopots, so there's that disposal wise, buyers beware.... Fortunate I can use the local grow shops dumpster, but still, getting the stuff there.....

The WaterFarm/-Aqua can't leak as single use, it can as a system if not assembled properly or a hose gets yanked accidentally, but not through any failure during the runtime. My concern about flooding is because someone not far from here did just that in an apartment, and 2 apartments below..... That was game up, he got kicked out and had to pay damages for 3 apartment..... If you're gonna do it, do in style, right..... I don't have anyone below me, but the potential damage and having to repair God knows what in secret, electrics, flooring, stairs, furniture..... If that little yellow silicone gasket fails(which it will according to documentation and needs replacing depending on usage so need to be inspected closely at regular intervals), a valve gets knocked out of position unnoticed..... It doesn't take long.....

Yup, electricity needed for the -farms, no issue when growing indoors, uses 1, 8 w the air pump does so outside away from wandering electrons, Autopots is the name of the game. I did think about the air pump going fishing, and that counted in coco's favor over clay pellets, there's a water buffer in the coco to last quite awhile, depending of course at what stage the plant is at.

Actually what clinched it to get the first WaterFarm was the sheer volume of 40 L..... Lol...... Yo, size matters...

And the coco, hear you on that too, kicking myself for not giving it a go a long time past..... At least in just 1 autopot for a lark.... No clue why I was clueless...... That Think Big drove the point home in convincing style.... So cocophonics is now decreed a mandatory Tabernacle household item.... Lol

Next thing is of course trying to compare the 2 systems in a grow off, but it's not easy to figure out how best to do that, there's a couple of different parameters making it somewhat meaningless I think, feed method, watering method, constant/irregular availability, fluctuating vs constant ppm and pH ...... Any ideas.... 2 Ultimates driving different pots to the end.... Lol

Last edited:
I've seen a couple stories around the 'Net of folks growing with aquavalves that they stuck open a little somehow and the res drained. I worry about the same thing with the Blumats. Pretty basic parts on both, though, so I would think as long as you keep things clean it would take some strange circumstances to get either one to stick open.

What you say, and count on a strange circumstance to strike in one of my tents.... Lol .....ive also seen a few reports of dihydrogen monoxide escaping through an aquavalve.....

I've actually found some nice sturdy spill trays in the right sizes to hold the - farms and Autopots respectively, and has enough volumes to hold a full reservoir........

One autopot tip.... I learned the hard way...... always position the aquavalve side of the pot towards the center if you have limited or no side access. Once the vegetation get tall and wide, it becomes a bitch to check the valves, or night impossible, so although it's nice to get the melange of water hoses and airlines to the airdomes out of the way next to the walls, there a price to pay....

no need for a grow off, I'm willing to bet results will be close. More a matter of style really. I'm all about simplicity in growing, and auto pots fits my style. And I have my DIY 10 and 20 gallon auto pot imitations lol, I know I can grow big ones in those! Just wait till I fill that 20 gallon pot with coco and Seagrow!

Yeah,that's true, and I hear you loud and clear on the Mapito, I got an 80 l bagful to dispute of, which turned out to be actual barely enough to fill 2 x 25 L Autopots, so there's that disposal wise, buyers beware.... Fortunate I can use the local grow shops dumpster, but still, getting the stuff there.....

The WaterFarm/-Aqua can't leak as single use, it can as a system if not assembled properly or a hose gets yanked accidentally, but not through any failure during the runtime. My concern about flooding is because someone not far from here did just that in an apartment, and 2 apartments below..... That was game up, he got kicked out and had to pay damages for 3 apartment..... If you're gonna do it, do in style, right..... I don't have anyone below me, but the potential damage and having to repair God knows what in secret, electrics, flooring, stairs, furniture..... If that little yellow silicone gasket fails(which it will according to documentation and needs replacing depending on usage so need to be inspected closely at regular intervals), a valve gets knocked out of position unnoticed..... It doesn't take long.....

Yup, electricity needed for the -farms, no issue when growing indoors, uses 1, 8 w the air pump does so outside away from wandering electrons, Autopots is the name of the game. I did think about the air pump going fishing, and that counted in coco's favor over clay pellets, there's a water buffer in the coco to last quite awhile, depending of course at what stage the plant is at.

Actually what clinched it to get the first WaterFarm was the sheer volume of 40 L..... Lol...... Yo, size matters...

And the coco, hear you on that too, kicking myself for not giving it a go a long time past..... At least in just 1 autopot for a lark.... No clue why I was clueless...... That Think Big drove the point home in convincing style.... So cocophonics is now decreed a mandatory Tabernacle household item.... Lol

Next thing is of course trying to compare the 2 systems in a grow off, but it's not easy to figure out how best to do that, there's a couple of different parameters making it somewhat meaningless I think, feed method, watering method, constant/irregular availability, fluctuating vs constant ppm and pH ...... Any ideas.... 2 Ultimates driving different pots to the end.... Lol

I'm thinking of building a manifold at the tank and running each pot its own line, with a valve in each line just past the manifold. The valves plug less than the tees do and can be cleared from outside the tent. You can do the same to clear the aqau valve. 20ml syringe filled with water. Squirt in back thru the valve to the tank, or thru the line to the valve. 1 syringe usually does it, I've tested it, works well!

What you say, and count on a strange circumstance to strike in one of my tents.... Lol .....ive also seen a few reports of dihydrogen monoxide escaping through an aquavalve.....

I've actually found some nice sturdy spill trays in the right sizes to hold the - farms and Autopots respectively, and has enough volumes to hold a full reservoir........

One autopot tip.... I learned the hard way...... always position the aquavalve side of the pot towards the center if you have limited or no side access. Once the vegetation get tall and wide, it becomes a bitch to check the valves, or night impossible, so although it's nice to get the melange of water hoses and airlines to the airdomes out of the way next to the walls, there a price to pay....

Ok, no posts since September last year. Hmmmm .. y'all given up then?

Now, I'm not quite sure whether or not you'd want to move my grow into this thread ... you're decision @Son of Hobbes ...
I'm growing outdoors in a shed, with an indoor lighting set-up, using organic soil and additives, airpots, photoperiods (for now) and that makes five categories already ..
I'm confused as to where to stick it.

I'd like to propose another category .. and I'd also like to propose @budelee as The Dark Overlord of ......... the lunacy thread...! :worship:

Are you mad enough to try this? Have you read 'BDSM for Plants' by the Marquis de Sade?, do you think 'outside the box' or even the tent?, do you go to bed dreaming of how to fuck your plant rather than the missus? do you follow horses down country lanes with a bucket? do you grow your own seaweed? do you use a 'worm-cam'? ... then this may just be the thread :thumbsup:

:crying:

lots of individual threads here on autopots, this thread was mostly to introduce a new section here on afn. Auto pot growing is thriving here! Take a look, there are some spectacular grows here!
I love them and now have 12 pots!

Back