Indoor Tyrannosaurus Duck...........

http://www.autoflower.org/threads/chapter-2-propagation-of-cannabis-marijuana-botany.248/#post-3267

Layering
Layering is a process in which roots develop on a stem while it remains attached to, and nutritionally sup ported by the parent plant. The stem is then detached and the meristematic tip becomes a new individual, growing on its own roots, termed a layer. Layering differs from cutting because rooting occurs while the shoot is still attached to the parent. Rooting is initiated in layering by various stem treatments which interrupt the downward flow of photosynthates (products of photosynthesis) from the shoot tip. This causes the accumulation of auxins, carbohydrates and other growth factors. Rooting occurs in this treated area even though the layer remains attached to the parent. Water and mineral nutrients are supplied by the parent plant because only the phloem has been interrupted; the xylem tissues connecting the shoot to the parental roots remain intact (see illus. 1, page 29). In this manner, the propagator can overcome the problem of keeping a severed cutting alive while it roots, thus greatly in creasing the chances of success. Old woody reproductive stems that, as cuttings, would dry up and die, may be rooted by layering. Layering can be very time-consuming and is less practical for mass cloning of parental stock than removing and rooting dozens of cuttings. Layering, however, does give the small-scale propagator a high-success alternative which also requires less equipment than cuttings.
Techniques of Layering
Almost all layering techniques rely on the principle of etiolation. Both soil layering and air layering involve depriving the rooting portion of the stem of light, promoting rooting. Root-promoting substances and fungicides prove beneficial, and they are usually applied as a spray or powder. Root formation on layers depends on constant moisture, good air circulation and moderate temperatures at the site of rooting.

http://www.autoflower.org/threads/air-layering-step-by-step.36065/#post-676728

Apologies if this is all a bunch of stuff you already know and do. :p

its a theory really. This plant IMO is NOT a created strain. Too many odd traits that couldn't be that of a mutant strain. I can't prove it, but by the tale of the locals, this pre-dates wally ducks so called "creation" of ducksfoot. And there is a difference between the ducksfoot I have and that commonly seen that was wally ducks, the leaf structure is different for one. Look at dutch Passion's Frisan Duck. That's the wally duck look. My ducksfoot has smooth edged leaves, not jagged and pointed. There are other physical characteristics that I'm documenting and won't reveal for a bit yet. I want to study the plant more, and also, see what comes from the seed I hope to get.

Did this plant come here to almost the Canadian border from Australia 3-5 years before Wally Ducks release of Ducksfoot? I don't know, but the people I got it from know nothing of it outside of their plants, no one ever looked it up on the internet, they were surprised at what I've shown them. That leads me to think I'm onto something.

Or, I could be completely wrong. However, ducksfoot, at least mine, is a strange plant........ it reminds me of the failed attempts to cross them with hops....... only this worked...

Landrace ducksfoot? A duckfoot pheno from a landrace strain? never heard of that before, very interested to know more.

Thank you!! I knew of this technique, but never tried it and forgot about it! I'll definitely give that a shot, may be just what the doctor ordered! Kudos!

Awesomely cool thread and grow, @pop22 !

Have you ever done on the stem air layering for taking cuttings / clones?
It may give you more time to move the stem tissue to undifferentiated tissue to then root tissue,
while the lateral is still on the plant and thus getting it's nutrients and water.
It's not that hard. Have to select a good branch, though, and prob cut away a couple of nodes of leaves and tertiary laterals.
In the past I had pretty much 100% success rate with this, though my usual clones are almost 100% too, haha.

1. Find a nice lateral or two, over 10cm = 4" long.
2. Cut away most of the nodes leaves and secondary laterals, leaving just two sets at the tip.
3. Very gently rough up the outer layer of the stem (bark).
4. Take some cotton wool, or sphagnum, or whatever, and dip in rooting hormone.
5. Wrap it around the trimmed node area.
6. Use a 5cm = 2" or so wide strip of plastic to cover that in place.
7. Use regular tape to seal top and bottom (esp. bottom, so hormone doesn't run out).
8. Just leave it for a week (maybe 5-10) days.
9. Can remove to check, but it's a hassle, so avoid if no problems.
10. Cut down lateral stem and re-dip in rooting hormone if need be.
11. Plant in your usual clone / seedling mix.
12. Give it the usual care of a clone, i.e. mist at least daily, etc. but in general it will be so fast rooting now in the medium that it won't need it much.

Zing! High success rate from air layering.
I learned this from Clarke's Marijuana Botany, I think.
Worth a play if you haven't tried it before.

Love and hugs,
MJS
:love:

its a theory really. This plant IMO is NOT a created strain. Too many odd traits that couldn't be that of a mutant strain. I can't prove it, but by the tale of the locals, this pre-dates wally ducks so called "creation" of ducksfoot. And there is a difference between the ducksfoot I have and that commonly seen that was wally ducks, the leaf structure is different for one. Look at dutch Passion's Frisan Duck. That's the wally duck look. My ducksfoot has smooth edged leaves, not jagged and pointed. There are other physical characteristics that I'm documenting and won't reveal for a bit yet. I want to study the plant more, and also, see what comes from the seed I hope to get.

Did this plant come here to almost the Canadian border from Australia 3-5 years before Wally Ducks release of Ducksfoot? I don't know, but the people I got it from know nothing of it outside of their plants, no one ever looked it up on the internet, they were surprised at what I've shown them. That leads me to think I'm onto something.

Or, I could be completely wrong. However, ducksfoot, at least mine, is a strange plant........ it reminds me of the failed attempts to cross them with hops....... only this worked...

maybe some lost strain?
very interesting indeed.

oh yes, I definitely plan to. Poor momma going to get abused.... going to put 2 branches on a 12/12 schedule by putting a black, plastic sleeve over them for 12 hours. When they start to flower, I'll spray them with STS to form male flowers. Should take about 2 weeks also ( however this is Ducksfoot..who knows lol ), then I'll flip the whole plant. I'll do the layering at the same time as I blackout the 2 branches. Should be quite interesting!

Momma duck was not looking good till I transplanted into the auto pot. However, I believe it was that she sucked that little 2 gallon pot dry of nutrients...lol! however, she's been in that pot since the end of Sept.!

And I was digging last night and found in the Big Book of Buds ( circa 2006 ) Mention of Wally Duck's Ducksfoot. It says" Ducksfoot x Sative

Give it a shot.
You'll know or not in less than 2 weeks.

:p

OK! At last some pics for you! Maybe life is under control for a while now.. we'll see if I can update more often!

Azure Ducks pic1 -1-4-2017.jpg
Azure Ducks pic2 -1-4-2017.jpg
Azure Ducks pic3 -1-4-2017.jpg
Azure Ducks pic4 -1-4-2017.jpg
Azure Ducks pic5 -1-4-2017.jpg

Back