New Grower Tangie’matic, Ripley’s OG, Stilton Special

Hey Froot, Just thought id offer my opinion on the coco thing. Firstly coco is a buffer so with 100% coco checking the ph really is not an issue unless you have some extremely acidic or alkaline water. If I were you I would switch, you can buy the PH indicator kit which I swear buy for about a fiver, take a sample of the nutrient solution, add a few drops and you get an accurate indication 100% of the time. As for EC unless using a tank I really don't understand why anyone would need one, we all know how much nutrients we are adding and what the max strength amount should be so unless your run off is going back into the tank and you wanted to keep the tank a stable EC there really is no need for that stuff. I also agree you should switch to cloth pots, I know when my babies need a fresh feed because I can see the salt building up on the outside of the pot, then I just give a plain feed and all is well.

Everything is looking good tho, just calm down you are always getting too worried about things :pass:

and those THC shots are amazing mate :drool:

Dive in!! The water’s warm over here! I don’t mind the extra effort with coco. There is something to be said for the simplicity of it but I think you go through more nutes overall. I haven’t grown anything but my first grow and I started with coco instead of soil.

well okay if you say so!
ordering up a bag of coco ASAP. plan to be ready for the weekend.
i'll come and have a proper poke around in your journal, i know lunar has been looking out for you and he's great with coco! i saw you had some watering issues so any advice on what you've learned recently is appreciated bro :pass:

Hey Froot, Just thought id offer my opinion on the coco thing. Firstly coco is a buffer so with 100% coco checking the ph really is not an issue unless you have some extremely acidic or alkaline water. If I were you I would switch, you can buy the PH indicator kit which I swear buy for about a fiver, take a sample of the nutrient solution, add a few drops and you get an accurate indication 100% of the time. As for EC unless using a tank I really don't understand why anyone would need one, we all know how much nutrients we are adding and what the max strength amount should be so unless your run off is going back into the tank and you wanted to keep the tank a stable EC there really is no need for that stuff. I also agree you should switch to cloth pots, I know when my babies need a fresh feed because I can see the salt building up on the outside of the pot, then I just give a plain feed and all is well.

Everything is looking good tho, just calm down you are always getting too worried about things :pass:

and those THC shots are amazing mate :drool:

here he is :pighug:

opinion always welcome here matey
coco it is! excited to try something a bit different. nervous too but you've got me figured out already; i worry about everything. but i think i have enough experience now to have a stab at it - as you know i can only really grow three ladies at a time so i need to try my best to make sure those three ladies are of a decent size and quality - i think [hope] i will have more success/consistency with that in coco. very reassuring to hear that PH and EC monitoring does not have to be the very strict regime i had anticipated.

sticking with my Advanced Nutrients lineup. produces lots of frost and resin. i'm going to try and wing it with my tap water to begin with but i'm looking at those cheap under-the-sink RO systems on a well known internet marketplace that sounds like a rain forest that isn't the Congo. what's your water source like mate?

glad you like the Tangie trich' shots - i'll post some buds in a moment. i wish i could share the smell...

Subbing in from across the Atlantic. Just went through your whole journal, keep on keepin' on bud :toke:

welcome aboard matey!
hope you enjoyed the read! if anything, this journal is proof that even this clueless fool can grow some quality meds :bump: and so can anyone.
i've still got plenty to learn in my quest for truly top shelf buds in my jars.
he who dares wins and all that :shooty:
appreciate you stopping by bro.

Tangie buds
Day 70 here, forgot to post these. 72 today. yellowing hard now she's just on flush, will keep her going as long as i can, i'd love to chop her in February but we will see how she fares but she'll get to at least 80.

T70.jpg
Tangie70.jpg
Tangiebud.jpg
Tangiemain.jpg
tangietwin.jpg
Tfrost.jpg

some of those came out a bit pants, sorry. behind water systems, new pots, new lights, more fans etc a camera is way down on the list at the moment.

but she's frosty! and sticky! and very tangeriney! cupboard stinks of fresh coffee grounds thanks to her. any contact and she fires concentrated orange juice directly in to your nostrils.
i hope she doesn't get smoked before she gets a fine cure but me and missus are rinsing through harvest [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG] already :smoking:

excuse cat hairs

Last edited:
Tangie buds
Day 70 here, forgot to post these. 72 today. yellowing hard now she's just on flush, will keep her going as long as i can, i'd love to chop her in February but we will see how she fares but she'll get to at least 80.

View attachment 1003878 View attachment 1003879 View attachment 1003880 View attachment 1003881 View attachment 1003882 View attachment 1003883

some of those came out a bit pants, sorry. behind water systems, new pots, new lights, more fans etc a camera is way down on the list at the moment.

but she's frosty! and sticky! and very tangeriney! cupboard stinks of fresh coffee grounds thanks to her. any contact and she fires concentrated orange juice directly in to your nostrils.
i hope she doesn't get smoked before she gets a fine cure but me and missus are rinsing through harvest [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG] already :smoking:

excuse cat hairs
That’s some fine looking bud there. I think the photos came out great Froot! I feel like I need to up my camera game this next grow too.

We’ve been following each others journals for so long, and it seems we are all hitting harvests at the same time. This is really cool!

Looks fantastic mate, beautifully formed buds.

Tbf my critical cheese looked a bit off like that and she too became a real shocker of a smoke and it looks like yours has gone that way too!

That’s some fine looking bud there. I think the photos came out great Froot! I feel like I need to up my camera game this next grow too.

We’ve been following each others journals for so long, and it seems we are all hitting harvests at the same time. This is really cool!

honestly, AFN makes the whole process much more fun for me. love watching other grows and trying to pick up tips as we all grow together. as a person who worries a lot about nothing, i take a lot of comfort in the shared experiences here on AFN. good folk here. :bighug:

Looks fantastic mate, beautifully formed buds.

Tbf my critical cheese looked a bit off like that and she too became a real shocker of a smoke and it looks like yours has gone that way too!

yes mate i could have removed the most offending leaves and made her look all pretty (i will try and get some glamour shots before i cut her down) but i figure it's all extra food for her to munch whilst she fades. beauty contest plants will come later when i have a bit of a clue haha.
confident after Saturday's tester that she is gonna be a quality smoke. i am not confident she will be the uplifting sativa the missus was looking for when she requested we grow out this Tangie'Matic...she hit both of us HARD after a quick dry!
but we have HubbaBubbaSmelloscope on it's way to us now so hopefully our sativa game is about to step up!

well okay if you say so!
ordering up a bag of coco ASAP. plan to be ready for the weekend.
i'll come and have a proper poke around in your journal, i know lunar has been looking out for you and he's great with coco! i saw you had some watering issues so any advice on what you've learned recently is appreciated bro :pass:

here he is :pighug:

opinion always welcome here matey
coco it is! excited to try something a bit different. nervous too but you've got me figured out already; i worry about everything. but i think i have enough experience now to have a stab at it - as you know i can only really grow three ladies at a time so i need to try my best to make sure those three ladies are of a decent size and quality - i think [hope] i will have more success/consistency with that in coco. very reassuring to hear that PH and EC monitoring does not have to be the very strict regime i had anticipated.

sticking with my Advanced Nutrients lineup. produces lots of frost and resin. i'm going to try and wing it with my tap water to begin with but i'm looking at those cheap under-the-sink RO systems on a well known internet marketplace that sounds like a rain forest that isn't the Congo. what's your water source like mate?

glad you like the Tangie trich' shots - i'll post some buds in a moment. i wish i could share the smell...

welcome aboard matey!
hope you enjoyed the read! if anything, this journal is proof that even this clueless fool can grow some quality meds :bump: and so can anyone.
i've still got plenty to learn in my quest for truly top shelf buds in my jars.
he who dares wins and all that :shooty:
appreciate you stopping by bro.

@lunarman has been awesome and convinced me to start with coco. Watering was an issue for me but I believe I have that sorted out. My plants are looking decent now after a rough patch and stretching hard going into preflower. Watching these plants progress amazes me. I do check my nute pH and ppms even though I use pH perfect AN, I’m a bit anal in that regard. I use a cheap moisture meter to help gauge watering. I’ve found recently that I can tell without looking at the meter simply by pushing the probe into the medium, then confirm by picking up the pot and looking at the surface of the coco.

You’re grow is looking great coming into finish. Well done!!

Now that tangie does look lovely :drool: I'm with you on the leaf's i would leave them on, makes sense in my head too haha You grew a tangie for an uplifting smoke.......................:crying: that stuff will stick you to a chair and have you talking without words for quite a while :smoking: I don't think I would ever be able to let tangie cure properly it is just far far too nice a smoke and if it was giving good effects when rushed you and the Mrs are in for a treat.

Main advice with coco is to not water it too much at the beginning, I let my plants dry up until the pots are fighting gravity and then water until I can see it is fully moistened but not freely dripping from the bottom (cloth pots help as you can see the pot becoming saturated) I expect to see a tiny amount of run off. Once the babies reach full bud mode I then feed every single day, the amount i feed is dependant upon the weight of the pot but I try to keep it what I would consider full without too much run off.

Almost forgot when you first pot your seeds if the coco is moist I would avoid doing much watering, I find too much watering when first planting a cutting or seed especially in 100% coco does tend to water log it slightly and impede growth, I only use the water from the paper towel I germinated in once I pot the seed and wait until they show signs that they need more watering. Anyone having trouble with watering with coco should seriously consider a mix, I had the same problems when I switched to seeds which prompted me to start using 60/40 clay pebble mix, best thing I have done tbh.

I totally agree about AFN not only is it great to talk to like minded people and share ideas, just looking at other peoples threads or even your own from the past can answer the many questions that you keep wondering about.

Almost forgot something else haha my water comes out at roughly 6.8ph mate mentioning this tho has reminded me of something. On the last cycle after adding nutrients my mix would drop to below 6ph but now on the exact same schedule it only drops to 6.2-6.3 which is perfect, very strange.

air pots, the plastic alien looking things with nipples and holes all over 'em...they're the ones i use and i wish i'd gone fabric, with soil, at least. try and water around the outside edge and 9 time out of 10 the pot will pee on ya. mine are all supposedly 12.5L air pots...but upon buying a 5th one from a different store online, i now have two different "12.5L" air pots...the newer addition is notably wider than the original 4 i picked up. i gave Ripley the larger one, naturally.

same, slowly gaining knowledge as i grow and read stuff - i'd like a better understanding of all the processes. i'm fortunate to get some time to do research at work quite a lot. when i started i didn't even know what NPK meant so have come a long way already and find it fascinating - what i do find frustrating is being unable to chat casually about it all with friends. the missus got bored of plant talk half way through the first grow. but i do have AFN :bighug:

oh of course, i forget your lights are the bangin' 600W beast. actually, that reminds me! i got a very nice 15% light increase this week by removing the lenses from my cobs. 15% is a big upgrade! i'm going to be adding a blurple to the cupboard at some point too. i love my 3500K cobs, but every blurple i've seen seems to have the magic veggin' spectrum. just something cheap to supplement veg'. and long term, there'll be a 2700K autocob going in there too. big plans! what i'd really like is to switch to a tent, but hiding a tent if needed is way more hassle than switching off the cupboard lights when discretion is required.

soooo you won't be starting any new ladies until you've purchased new lights? i bet the 'leccy bill is pretty high running that...i actually managed to reduce my (admittedly already very high) electric bill or at least kept it the same, by switching off a large freezer and a second fridge we had running for almost no reason. those things suck a lot of power! but i've switched to 24 hour lighting recently, for temp control, and the 4 hours of darkness the girls were getting was never really true darkness - plenty of gaps in the cupboard that would have been bleeding light in, and i'm sure 24/0 is better than half-arsed 20/4. i reduced darkness slowly, it's actually 23/1 right now but i plan to take the timer out tonight. another reason i'd love a tent - better control.

maybe if this bean doesn't pop this weekend and i end up ordering a new strain...maybe i'll grab a bag of coco instead of running this last pot of lightmix. maybe.

very kind of you to say but i won't agree on the :greenthumb: until i have a grow i'm really happy with. basically getting to harvest with decent buds, very few deficiencies along the way and no confused genders. trying to be optimistic that these current Meph ladies will do that for me, but confidence is still rather low right now.

yeh, was something i read about here a lot during my research time, lots of CalMags have quite a high N content - that's why i don't run the AN CalMag with all my other AN stuff.

yes mate absolutely - it's criminal how little nutes i get through right now. it's pathetic adding 0.5ml of A&B to a 1.5L feed but this AN stuff must be really strong - i can't comprehend how soil growers put 2ml+ per L though their autos. but the stuff grows nice buds so :shrug: hopefully it'll perform better in coco. i'd love to switch to Greenleaf Nutrients but i'm not forking out £70 shipping from the states and even if i did, importing that kinda product from the US just doesn't seem like the greatest idea. i hassled them on Insta about stocking in the EU but no response. Seen the question asked here too. guess they have found enough success across the pond :spels:

Mammoth P has priced itself out of my grows. think i saw something not much bigger than a nail polish bottle priced at £60 as the cheapest option. and AN get slated for their pricing? RealGrowers Recharge looks like a nice product too, and is available in the UK in a pouch for £60ish - still too much imo.
Sorry, I mean Smart Pots (fabric) not airpots! I've never used airpots!

Yeah, i gotta take a break due to leccy bill but also due to travel plans. I need to save up a little bit. Also I really just have a fairly ridiculous amount of weed on hand now, no need for all of that so I'll need to wait a little while, but not too long!

Don't be hard on yourself, you've grown some fantastic looking plants, and the Tangie buds are looking great, it's not like you're smoking the fans anyway!

Back