Some help with drying/curing

The trick is to not open the bag otherwise it messses with the environment in the bag. Let them do there thing.
Someone else told me that you should open the bags lol. My mind told me not to open them to maintain whatever is going on in there. I won’t open I’ll just turn the bag to move them around.

Ya, I hear ya. I can tell you that for my last harvest I really tried to hold true to not opening the bags and I feel it made a noticeable difference. It was tough to trust it but it worked out great. Lots of variables just like anything else.

I think you are on the right track with filling the bag a bit more. I try to put enough in where I can't see the bottom of the bag. Fold over the top 3-4 times, cloths pin to keep it closed and hung up to let air get all the way around.

Really it comes down to are you in high humidity situation or low humidity situation. If it is drier I will let them dry 3 or 4 days and dump the bags together so they even out and slow down, If you have higher humidity you probably want very minimal in the bag.

Really it comes down to are you in high humidity situation or low humidity situation. If it is drier I will let them dry 3 or 4 days and dump the bags together so they even out and slow down, If you have higher humidity you probably want very minimal in the bag.
Right now humidity is low here. During the summer it’s higher. 30ish right now.

You guys dry trim the buds before they go in paper bags?

Wet trim before they go in. This was borderline not enough

20220227_083332.jpg

I have better results (and cures) with a dry trim FWIW. My current protocol is a whole plant hang (including fans) for 6-8 days (depending on plant) at 60% RH, then dry trim and into paper bags for 24 hours (minimum) until I get 65% RH on a jar test - then into grove bags. They may spend 24 hours in paper bags or 3 days - just depends on how good my timing is. Also, this method gives me some flexibility as to when I trim so I can fit it into my schedule. Sweating of the buds for at least 24 hours to allow the water in the inside of the bud to migrate out and evaporate is a key part of the process. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Last edited:
exactly. There is an art to it. FWIW, I open mine daily to check the bud, and I feel a few to see how the dry is progressing. At the RH usually present in the basement room, I find covering the bottom of the bag is about the right amount to start with, and as they dry, I often combine bags of the same strain to keep the RH in the bag up a bit during the last part of the dry. I use the big garden debris bags for larger quantities, and they seem to work really well. They are double layer, and according to the store, somewhat moisture resistant, but they seem to work a treat.

The main thing about using bags for me is the flexibility of being able to tailor the process to different strains and harvest times. You can harvest however much whenever you want, and each harvest can have its own drying process. Also, you don't need an additional tent. If the odor from the drying bags is an issue, just put the bags in an appliance box or the like that is led to the air intake of your tent/drobe so that your carbon filter deals with it.

Back