Lighting Quantum board thread.

I am biaised towards the 800 boards cos I use them. Go talk to Rita! Tell her you were recommended by "That" grower customer of hers who can speak her native tongue. Ask for a discount. You won't get much cos their boss is a stingy dude. But its the thought that counts. At least a cheap free gift is better than none. Also show them some AFN power...LOL!

But seriously, I like more diodes run soft but cost is a factor. You really don't need more than 2 x 800 boards with 320H 48B drivers. The Meijiu dimmers work just fine for me. This setup gives you 700W max at the wall! Divide that by 16sq/ft and you get 40++W per sq ft. Pretty much everyone maxes out at this wattage with QBs and many experience burns at this rate. So it seems more than enough.

If money is not an issue, go ahead and get 4 boards BUT dim them. You'll need to experiment a little with them to get the hang of it.

I was thinking 4 of the 800 boards at 160 each. Wouldn’t even need heatsinks that way. But I read here some say they got hotspots. Or is that something I should not worry about when running then that soft?

I was thinking 4 of the 800 boards at 160 each. Wouldn’t even need heatsinks that way. But I read here some say they got hotspots. Or is that something I should not worry about when running then that soft?

Hotspots are there with any lights when you combine them/ use them together. It usually means the spot where both light source crosses. Observation and a lux meter will help you map your lights better. If you have the dough, get a Par meter. Most people go with gut feeling and observing signs of light burn. Its something everyone with multiple lights got to deal with.

Its about getting the light spread even and at ideal ppfd. I feel this has more to do with placement/ positioning of lights than size of boards. My 2 cents.

Hotspots are there with any lights when you combine them/ use them together. It usually means the spot where both light source crosses. Observation and a lux meter will help you map your lights better. If you have the dough, get a Par meter. Most people go with gut feeling and observing signs of light burn. Its something everyone with multiple lights got to deal with.

Its about getting the light spread even and at ideal ppfd. I feel this has more to do with placement/ positioning of lights than size of boards. My 2 cents.

That’s actually a pretty good idea with the lux meter! I never thought of that.
So, of the proposed setups, which one do you think should work the best?

That’s actually a pretty good idea with the lux meter! I never thought of that.
So, of the proposed setups, which one do you think should work the best?

Thats really up to you, as each setup differs quite a bit in cost. In an ideal world, one would get all 4 boards with heatsinks and 320H drivers. That way, you can run them soft or hard! Pretty much from 0 to 1400 watts. You can also get 4 boards with 2 600H drivers to save some money but will lose some flexibility with dimming.

I'll be adding the Meijiu 950mm long Osram red bars to my setup. Gonna make them mimick the HLG35 diode placement for Emerson effect. Each of their bars cost $60++. Its plug and play. I plan to place 3x800 boards side by side with one of those red bars between each 800 board.

Like below:

800 Board 3000K
Red Bar
800Board 4000K
Red Bar
800 Board 3000K

Space is 5×3.5 or so. Plants would FRY if I max out all boards. I'll have to play around to get the hang of it. Its really just for your reference. I've not done a single grow or completed the above mentioned setup. It is scheduled to be completed by mid April when i start growing again but should be done within a month. Hope this helps!

Ive been growing with hps for years. But my new set up is well insulated and temps are in the high 30s celcius 95+f

So ive always wanted a hlg 550 but its outa my price range. So ive ordered the chinese equivelent from alibaba.
4x samsung 288s went with the older /cheaper lm561c with heatsinks and a meanwell hlg480h c 2100

Will this be a decent replacement for my beloved 600w hps or am i being mugged

Thats really up to you, as each setup differs quite a bit in cost. In an ideal world, one would get all 4 boards with heatsinks and 320H drivers. That way, you can run them soft or hard! Pretty much from 0 to 1400 watts. You can also get 4 boards with 2 600H drivers to save some money but will lose some flexibility with dimming.

I'll be adding the Meijiu 950mm long Osram red bars to my setup. Gonna make them mimick the HLG35 diode placement for Emerson effect. Each of their bars cost $60++. Its plug and play. I plan to place 3x800 boards side by side with one of those red bars between each 800 board.

Like below:

800 Board 3000K
Red Bar
800Board 4000K
Red Bar
800 Board 3000K

Space is 5×3.5 or so. Plants would FRY if I max out all boards. I'll have to play around to get the hang of it. Its really just for your reference. I've not done a single grow or completed the above mentioned setup. It is scheduled to be completed by mid April when i start growing again but should be done within a month. Hope this helps!
I like your idea with the 3 boards and the strips! That’s awesome. Got a link for those?

Ive been growing with hps for years. But my new set up is well insulated and temps are in the high 30s celcius 95+f

So ive always wanted a hlg 550 but its outa my price range. So ive ordered the chinese equivelent from alibaba.
4x samsung 288s went with the older /cheaper lm561c with heatsinks and a meanwell hlg480h c 2100

That should do just fine, from everything I’ve seen and read.

That is even more light than your hps put out, so yes, for sure. That will fit a 4 x 4 space perfectly.

Depends how good those Chinese boards are. Some are good some are complete crap. With the LM561C chips, 4 boards run on that driver will put out 20-30% more light than a 600 watt HPS, and has better spectrum. and the LEDs are 15-20% more efficient ( can be even higher run a lower power ). COBs and QBs have brought the promises of LED lighting to reality. HPS is a dead tech. Even Gavita sold its HPS division to concentrate on LED tech!

Back