I have a question about these LED's, i am currently using a 4ft 6 bulb t5 fixture with 4ea) power veg FS + UV bulbs, 1ea) 420 & 1ea) 660 bulbs. I am new to growing and am thinking about going LED. How much better is the P300 to what I am currently using?
I am also thinking of a DIY fixture as I like to build & fabricate things, although not sure what the cost is of prebuilt vs manufactured, plus any benefits if any.
any info is appreciated.

I have a question about these LED's, i am currently using a 4ft 6 bulb t5 fixture with 4ea) power veg FS + UV bulbs, 1ea) 420 & 1ea) 660 bulbs. I am new to growing and am thinking about going LED. How much better is the P300 to what I am currently using?
I am also thinking of a DIY fixture as I like to build & fabricate things, although not sure what the cost is of prebuilt vs manufactured, plus any benefits if any.
any info is appreciated.
I have a t5ho 4ft 8 bulb and have grown some nice weed.I use all 6500k bulbs for veg and a mix of 6500k and 3200k with one 54watt uva,uvb bulb and it does as good job.I went to LED so my temps would be lower especialy in the summer.I beleve LED produces better buds that t5 but if your not worried about heat and you don;t have the money for a LED using the T5 with mixed light spectrom and a good UV bulb will still work well.

I have a t5ho 4ft 8 bulb and have grown some nice weed.I use all 6500k bulbs for veg and a mix of 6500k and 3200k with one 54watt uva,uvb bulb and it does as good job.I went to LED so my temps would be lower especialy in the summer.I beleve LED produces better buds that t5 but if your not worried about heat and you don;t have the money for a LED using the T5 with mixed light spectrom and a good UV bulb will still work well.

Great thank you for that info. here is a link to the bulbs i am using, i am assuming these are good bulbs for the fixture i have. these are inside of a 2ft x 4 ft grow tent.

http://www.eyehortilux.com/products/power-veg.aspx?gclid=CP6Fspv0w80CFdKIfgodgXkEkg

any info is appreciated.

Thanks @Rootrot great questions. First off, I've worked with the guys at Eye Hortilux in the past. Great group of people, I believe they have some of the best HID lamps in the business, and they are very knowledgable on plant lighting.

Here are the main differences in my opinion between our p300 and the PowerVEG 6 lamp 4' fixture you describe (buckle up...there is a lot of information):
  • Input Power: PowerVeg lamps are about 54w per lamp for a total of 324w, the input power on a 6 lamp fixture is around 350w. The Platinum p300 gives you 300w total with an input power of 180w with the veg and bloom switches turned on. Less input power equals less energy costs.
  • Price: a conservative estimate of the fluorescent fixture is $150 plus $25 for each lamp...$300 total. The p300 is available on Amazon for $369. Keep in mind the lamp life of a T5 lamp can vary from 15K - 35K hours depending on the quality of the ballast and if the ballast is ANSI rated. You many have to replace a couple lamps which go for about $25 each so those costs will add up. The p300 can last from 50k hour to 100k hours.
  • There is a video on the Eye Hortilux website that shows that a 8 lamp PowerVeg configuration it is getting PAR of around 121 umols at 12" from the plant canopy. They compare this configuration to a traditional grow 8 lamp fluorescent fixture that is getting PAR of around 234. The PowerVeg is still getting better growth, so this shows PAR is not everything. The Platinum p300 gets a PAR reading of 1575 umols at 12", so quite a bit more than either 8 lamp fluorescent fixture.
  • Like Eye Hortilux, Platinum LED recognizes that the best lighting for plants is a combination of how many photons are hitting the plant canopy PAR, and the nm range (spectrum) the photons are in. Great Spectrum + Great PAR = what plants love. Like the PowerVeg, Platinum LED targets the spectrum to the nm ranges plants thrive under giving you more PAR.
  • The PowerVEG lamps and Platinum LEDs offer UV light which is also important and not counted by a PAR meter. As Eye Hortilux states UV light helps develop stronger healthier vegetative plants that will produce higher yields and higher quality crops. UV light stresses the plants which makes them increase the production of trichomes.Trichomes help the plant reflect light in an effort to protect the plant’s flowers from damaging UV light. We love trichomes.
  • Finally Platinum offers infrared light as well. Plants grown indoors may grow well under fluorescent lights, but will not bloom until appropriate levels of infrared radiation have been introduced. By the look of the spectrum produces from the PowerVeg lamps its hard to tell how much IR light is emitted.
Both are good options and will grow plants. The DIY vs. off-the-shelf debate can get rather evangelical. If you have the skills and what to put in the time building an LED light can be a rewarding experience, but you are the tech support if anything goes wrong. We have a 5 year warranty and 90 guarantee and pretty decent customer service if i do say so myself! :woohoo1:

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Back