Outdoor Planting seeds directly in the ground

• Thread starter Stealth Wannabe
  • Start date
Thanks a lot for the responses everyone. That's more than I could learn from internet searches about planting seeds directly into the ground. You've convinced me that it's not the way to go!

Joe Dirt - I'll check out some of the new growers threads.

Nelson - I'm just planning early. My conditions are the same as yours.

Thai Buddha Man and Homie Hog Leg - Thanks for the tip on Diatomaceous earth.

Cres, Muddy, Nelson, Riz, Monkeypox - Thanks for the tips. I'll look into your grow journals. After 3 to 4 weeks, I'm still considering going directly to ground. A pot seems a lot less stealthy.

You guys better quit this shit or I will be making all my posts in French. Talk about chain yanking. Tabernac Callis.

:crying:
Sorry but I can't resist. I find that typo too Punny.

HomieHogleg

I use ground oyster shells on top of mine. Where I am cut worms aren't the problem it is those slugs. The sharp edges on the oyster shells I think hurt the bellies of the slugs and they stay away. It is also a very good source of slow release calcium. The ground oyster shells can be found at most feed and seed stores. Fowl producers buy it to strengthen the egg shell on their birds. It reflects the light up onto the lower branches as a side benefit and makes the plants look pretty in the pictures.

Good places to find it locally - farm supply stores, garden centers, feed supply. In my area, the feed supply is the cheapest. Doesn't come in a slick looking box but it's still 100% food-grade DE. There is even cheaper non-food-grade DE around but don't recommend it.

Not only mix in to soil but apply liberally on top of the soil around the plant to get all those creepy-crawlies.

And F you too! LOL, it helps when you've got a wife who still remembers her French! :D

You guys better quit this shit or I will be making all my posts in French. Talk about chain yanking. Tabernac Callis.

I'm still considering going directly to ground. A pot seems a lot less stealthy.

Depends where you put it and how fast your plants can cover the container...

Ok here are some bottomless pots(swamptube)....
attachment.php

And they are quickly overgrown....
attachment.php

Here is spring time planting in high water..it dropped down in a day or so...
attachment.php

Very few people ever go walking around in da swamp...both these location I have had for years...:D:toke::peace:

Attachments

• guy 007.jpg
    guy 007.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 141
  • swamp101.jpg
    swamp101.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 137
  • #11 swamp.jpg
    #11 swamp.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 129
You can also buy camo pots or camo burlap to wrap around the pots.

Hey cres I plant in the swamps too. nobody walks in there. I just use old car tires.

Depends where you put it and how fast your plants can cover the container...

Ok here are some bottomless pots(swamptube)....
attachment.php

And they are quickly overgrown....
attachment.php

Here is spring time planting in high water..it dropped down in a day or so...
attachment.php

Very few people ever go walking around in da swamp...both these location I have had for years...:D:toke::peace:

Hey cres I plant in the swamps too. nobody walks in there. I just use old car tires.

Swamps rule... some swamps better than others but, you can modifiy for certain conditions.

Owch car tires?totes are far lighter, and if you carry them in with dry promix or coco...you almost there....

I can see you don't like car tiresw very much ;but they actually work very well. I hate carrying in the sheep shit. Sometimes I go two tires high. plant em in the Spring and go get em in the Fall. I am usually pleasantly surprised. The biggest hazard is that moose like the plants and sometimes they get knawed off at the stem. I guess it could be deer but the moose prints are dead giveaway. Usually they live OK on their own. They get their roots down into the bog and grow like hell. I only plant either Fem starts or clones so I won't have a stray male. The major equipment is of course the rubber boots. Thank God we don't have poisinous snakes. The bugs are bad enough. Can you imagine alligators.

Swamps rule... some swamps better than others but, you can modifiy for certain conditions.

Owch car tires?totes are far lighter, and if you carry them in with dry promix or coco...you almost there....

Back