Outdoor Planting seeds directly in the ground

• Thread starter Stealth Wannabe
  • Start date
The seeds will germinate anywhere there is warmth and moisture. don't plant them too deep, just about 1cm. For height issues if planting in pots. just dig a hole and drop the pot into it. If you find your plant topping out and getting bigger than surrounding vegetation then just lift pot out and dig hole deeper instead of bending stems etc.

Some northern growers would never see there ground temps rise enough to get a germ, thats why with a direct sow, and a germ at home you can get off to a start that is right for your environment.... What good would a August germ be if waiting for ground temps to hit 60-70? I personally have seen frost in the ground in May...@45N.

Now staying on track of the thread and initial question wannabe said he is in love with the MI5... So we know he wants to grow an auto, so if you want that auto done in time sow/germ accordingly...

I would also recommend a container grow or even a swamp tube... swamp tubes produce, far more than ground holes and are rarely ever found. Plus the sowing in a container/tube lessens the chance for critter attacks.

When I get a tall one I bend it over and stake it down. I was wondering why you don't believe you should do it. Isn't burrying a pot in the ground a hell of a lot of work especially if you want to lower it two feet. I have never had a problem with a plant when I bend it over. Just curious as to why you don't like that.

In mold susceptible environments bending plants over is not advisable IMO, any buds which are near the ground are more susceptible to mold. The upright plants get a better air flow, and far less morning dew. Plus when wild animals walk thru your patch or plants they...walk on by, when a plant is laid over they get the chance of being trampled or eaten...but with MI5 this wont be a concern...:D

As a northern grower I can say , I tend to at least start my girls indoors and transplant after they are at least a few sets of leaves or till sexed . Ground is not warm enough here to direct plant . Although I do use containers ( 5 gal pails) I mostly use burlap bags of soil placed wherever is best for the plants . Simply cut a hole in the burlap and place plant in it and it will grow the roots right through it . The bags will decompose on their own and are not noticeable unless REALLY looking for them .

I found autos are harder to start in direct soil than any of my photos . The autos for me need more prep , where my photos I can accidently drop a few seeds and come back to find plants later . For outdoors I would pre-stage autos .

Outdoors, I do weekly treatments with insecticidal soap starting soon after they start to fully bud, around week 7. I usually get mine from Gardens Alive but you can get the Safer brand locally at Lowes, Home Depot, garden centers, etc. I've never had a problem with them indoors. I hate the nasty little buggers.

Hey Muddy, I have not had an issue with spider mites yet, but what is your recipe for a repellent or killer of mites? You probably told me before, but I'm stoned now and can't remember? haha :bong:

Btw , bending plants is common for several friends of mine . Some of their plants get to be up to 15' long , but only 1-2' high . Great way to conceal them within a garden . As long as weeds etc are trimmed around them a bit they do great . Can't knock someone getting 1lb + on a single plant by doing that .

First of all the only autos I bother to grow outside are the super autos like Super Cali Haze. They grow too tall and have a chance of detection from my driveway. The ones that I have best over have done really well bent over. Their branches grow straight upright from the bent over part and each branch yields excellently. In my experience it doesen't hurt them at all. I intend to grow them outside again this year and I will take pictures of them bent over and forming the 12 or so large colons.

In mold susceptible environments bending plants over is not advisable IMO, any buds which are near the ground are more susceptible to mold. The upright plants get a better air flow, and far less morning dew. Plus when wild animals walk thru your patch or plants they...walk on by, when a plant is laid over they get the chance of being trampled or eaten...but with MI5 this wont be a concern...:D

That's what you get when those damn French Canadians start typing in English. :smoke:

:crying:
Sorry but I can't resist. I find that typo too Punny.

HomieHogleg

colons bending over in da garden...12" where we going here.... wannabi is looking for the 12" + for sure... but bent over in the bush sowing his seed. Maybe he does need some kind of colon protection...

I'm well aware of the benefits of tying that bitch down...no doubt... but were off track of the direct sow auto topic...lol

Back