Outdoor Planting seeds directly in the ground

• Thread starter Stealth Wannabe
  • Start date
S

Stealth Wannabe

I've never grown, but I'm considering it. I'm sold on Mi5, but ideally I would be able to plant the seeds directly into the ground. Is that a terrible idea, or should it work fine? Is there an outdoor growing guide you can point me to for this approach? Nice-and-Easy's "Ditch the Dealer" guide is for tent grows - an equivalent for low maintenance stealth outdoor grows would be brilliant.

You've come to the right place to get the kind of help you need. Welcome to AFN! :D

We have a lot of experienced outdoor growers on the site that will be happy to help you along. I've never grown auto's out side but most of my experience comes from growing photo's outdoors.

I might recommend changing the name of your thread (which I'll be happy to do for you) to something like New Grower needs out door growing advice, for starters. Also, we have a dedicated forum for new growers with mods assigned specifically to help get people started on the right track... not to mention, many knowledgeable members who will offer assistance. Don't worry, you don't get looked down on if you're new. In fact, new growers receive more attention and patience here than people who have been doing this longer. I can also move the thread there if you'd like.

Just let me know if you'd like for me to assist. :peace:

I've never grown, but I'm considering it. I'm sold on Mi5, but ideally I would be able to plant the seeds directly into the ground. Is that a terrible idea, or should it work fine? Is there an outdoor growing guide you can point me to for this approach? Nice-and-Easy's "Ditch the Dealer" guide is for tent grows - an equivalent for low maintenance stealth outdoor grows would be brilliant.

Ok I can help...
Weather your growing in a container, or in a ground hole....yes it is very easy to do direct sowing...now there are some pointers that will reduce seed loss.

1. germ seeds at home, in paper towels.
2. be prepared to go to you location with seeds germed and ready to sow when they are opened.
3. Mice are a huge problem with sprouts, more with ground holes than containers... I can't stress this enough.
4. Use mice protection, trap them first, or use protection...small screen domes...or prepare for losses. clear cups upside down with the top open also work.
5. once there with three sets of leaves the mice won't be a problem...
6. big holes = big plants cant stress this enough...

got more questions shoot....

Welcome to AFN. I've also done a lot of outdoor growing so can offer some pointers as well.

As Cres pointed out, planting seeds/seedlings directly in the ground can lead to some issues. Besides mice, deer and rabbits like tender young shoots. Also cut worms. I prefer to start my plants indoors and then transplant them after they have sexed. By that time, 3-4 weeks, they are bigger and have a better chance of surviving outdoors. I prefer pots over direct planting in the ground. Lessens the chances of cut worms and mice and easier to use a custom soil mix. Also makes it possible to move the plants should the need arise. Plan on using a deer and rabbit repellent like Liquid Fence. Also, once the plants start to bloom, they are attractive to spider mites. I do weekly applications of insecticidal soap as a preventive.

Where are you Australia or South America. Up here in Canada dreams of planting outside are months away. I agree with Muddy but I plant in raised beds and do well. Never had a cut worm but we got everything else. I find the pots make the plants way too high over the weeds and they are much easier to spot by the cops and thieves. Muddy's advice is valid except for adding to the height. We all have to go with what works best for us.

I totally agree you will have better luck if you start them somewhere where the mice can't get to them. Up here they are the number 1 killer of baby plants. They chew the head's right off of them. I have never had a cut worm. I guess lucky me. I find dog shit around the plants seems to be very effective against deer and rabbits. I do a Spring trip to the SPCA to pick up my supply. They are glad to give it away. Just a few alternatives to Muddys sound advice.

Welcome to AFN. I've also done a lot of outdoor growing so can offer some pointers as well.

As Cres pointed out, planting seeds/seedlings directly in the ground can lead to some issues. Besides mice, deer and rabbits like tender young shoots. Also cut worms. I prefer to start my plants indoors and then transplant them after they have sexed. By that time, 3-4 weeks, they are bigger and have a better chance of surviving outdoors. I prefer pots over direct planting in the ground. Lessens the chances of cut worms and mice and easier to use a custom soil mix. Also makes it possible to move the plants should the need arise. Plan on using a deer and rabbit repellent like Liquid Fence. Also, once the plants start to bloom, they are attractive to spider mites. I do weekly applications of insecticidal soap as a preventive.

Another bit of advice, is to mix a liberal dose of Diatomaceous Earth

, into your soil you are planting into. It kills the cutworms that would harm your plants, but is totally organic, and non toxic.
Here is a link to some for sale, search around you may find a better price, and you might find it locally. I mix it at a ratio of 1 part DE, to 10 parts other soil+amendments.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10LBS-Food-...063?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfbac1bf7
Good Luck
You have come to the right place.

HomieHogleg

The seeds will germinate anywhere there is warmth and moisture. don't plant them too deep, just about 1cm. For height issues if planting in pots. just dig a hole and drop the pot into it. If you find your plant topping out and getting bigger than surrounding vegetation then just lift pot out and dig hole deeper instead of bending stems etc.

Hey Muddy, I have not had an issue with spider mites yet, but what is your recipe for a repellent or killer of mites? You probably told me before, but I'm stoned now and can't remember? haha :bong:

When I get a tall one I bend it over and stake it down. I was wondering why you don't believe you should do it. Isn't burrying a pot in the ground a hell of a lot of work especially if you want to lower it two feet. I have never had a problem with a plant when I bend it over. Just curious as to why you don't like that.

The seeds will germinate anywhere there is warmth and moisture. don't plant them too deep, just about 1cm. For height issues if planting in pots. just dig a hole and drop the pot into it. If you find your plant topping out and getting bigger than surrounding vegetation then just lift pot out and dig hole deeper instead of bending stems etc.

I believe each individual autoflower plant has in its genetics it's own ETA. it's going to be ready to harvest at that time pretty much regardless of what you do to it. If you stunt an auto, it can't come back from that. if you top an auto you stress it out and it will develop the two colas but you wont get as much as if you didn't top. IME same with FIM'ing. Same with lst and supercropping. I ain't saying don't do it and i do and will continue to do when the need arises but i do it knowing i am harming the end yield by stressing a plant that has a fixed life span.

I get my best results from auto's by planting the seeds in the pots they will finish in, no trimming, training or topping.

Back