Lighting Planning for a DIY COB build

18 gauge is fine, and yes, wire your driver direct to the ground.

Thanks guys. Should my ground wire from the wall just go straight to my driver then? 18 AWG big enough, or should I get some 16? Would it matter where on the hot line I put the fuse if I choose to use one; before/after the switch?

Really appreciate the help.

It's always better to go bigger with wires for power. Always. On the other hand....one of the reasons we are using KAAAHBS and Mean Well drivers is because they are so dang power efficient....and even the biggest of Meanies doesn't pull that much power relatively speaking. Length also plays a part here...on a long run you would be good to bump it up a gauge or 2. For a short run...like 8' or less it won't take too big a deal. I always use 16ga or bigger with 110v just to keep it running cooler. As far as fuse location, I would personally put it between the switch and the wall, close to the wall as possible, you might even find a cord with the fuse built into the plug....that way all the wire, the switch and the driver are all fused. I don't have a switch or a fuse on any of my three drivers. I have good solid wiring, hardwired to a plug, hooked to a nice high end power strip....which has surge protection, a power rocker switch with led and a breaker all built in. DIY means custom everything....and I just got my very first tent yesterday....whoop whoop. 4x4. So. Excited. It. Hurts.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's always better to go bigger with wires for power. Always. On the other hand....one of the reasons we are using KAAAHBS and Mean Well drivers is because they are so dang power efficient....and even the biggest of Meanies doesn't pull that much power relatively speaking. Length also plays a part here...on a long run you would be good to bump it up a gauge or 2. For a short run...like 8' or less it won't take too big a deal. I always use 16ga or bigger with 110v just to keep it running cooler. As far as fuse location, I would personally put it between the switch and the wall, close to the wall as possible, you might even find a cord with the fuse built into the plug....that way all the wire, the switch and the driver are all fused. I don't have a switch or a fuse on any of my three drivers. I have good solid wiring, hardwired to a plug, hooked to a nice high end power strip....which has surge protection, a power rocker switch with led and a breaker all built in. DIY means custom everything....and I just got my very first tent yesterday....whoop whoop. 4x4. So. Excited. It. Hurts.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Right on, thanks for the tips. Congrats on the tent.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Little update. Here's the work I've done so far on the controller. Still waiting for parts to complete the build. Thanks for everyone's help so far.
49594b4401929b5dae78e0032cab813e.jpg
06bd6e656ba7cc28ba0bb015c8039282.jpg

Got some goodies!!! Since I'm not growing I've decided to do an overhaul on my light. New frame, added mono LEDs, and some reflectors for the cobs. I'm still going to try to have a controller that I can keep outside the tent, just cuz....... So it's going to be interesting to fit everything inside, especially when I just picked up a storm controller as well. So the old controller I was working on will probably get the boot, luckily I ordered two haha but I also found a sweet DIY electronics shop close by that sells project boxes so if I screw something up I can get more easily.

Enough of my blabbering, here's my base ideas for what I'm planning with the light and some pics of the goodies I got. Any ideas for the design would be awesome. The measurements are not written in stone. Still not 100% certain on the materials I'm using.
23068484cb086c00c61304947cfa08e6.jpg
eec2cc839e6d2847feb31f62b122e283.jpg
f4f4ac6ce0e878873e758a1942f2a248.jpg

@BigSm0 Sorry to bug ya buddy, but I picked up some angelina reflectors but I can't seem to figure out how to mount them. I'm using the BJB holders from your almost complete COBs. Is there another piece I need besides the holder and the reflector?

@BigSm0 Sorry to bug ya buddy, but I picked up some angelina reflectors but I can't seem to figure out how to mount them. I'm using the BJB holders from your almost complete COBs. Is there another piece I need besides the holder and the reflector?
Never a problem, There are two Angelina reflectors. One with tabs and one without. I bet you got the ones without and since you did the only option is to use something adhesive, tape or glue.

Back