Lighting Planning for a DIY COB build

Santa came early for me this year! [emoji7] cant wait to start converting the vipar :)
0fa179d508fa256d6713990e23fdac65.jpg

Boo'sBuds[emoji271] https://www.autoflower.org/index.php?threads/60630/
And here she is in all her glory [emoji7] producing some beasts!! Best smoke by far!!
382aad73d704675688cfe27f6abd1c00.jpg
7aeaec988a906c3e9800e028da5af56e.jpg

Boo'sBuds[emoji271] https://www.autoflower.org/index.php?threads/61958/

Figured I'd add to this thread. I decided to make a controller for my light. Completely unnecessary, but I think It'll look cool. Plus, I need a project to keep me busy.

Got most of the parts the other day. Ive cut holes in the project box for the power display and dimmer. I have a few switches on the way, so I'll see which one I like best and then I'll cut out a panel for it. I'll get some pics up soon of my progress.

Cheers

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

What color temp did you decide to go with RD? I just read the whole thread but probably missed it. Fine job you did... Ill grab a seat and see what else you have in store!

What color temp did you decide to go with RD? I just read the whole thread but probably missed it. Fine job you did... Ill grab a seat and see what else you have in store!
Thanks bud. I went with the 3500k. Really liking what it does in flower, not so impressed with the vegging so far, but it gets the job done.

I've been bit with the DIY bug and now I've got so many ideas for light recipes and cool gadgets, it really is an obsession.

I found a pretty cool YouTube video for cutting plastic, and if I'm not feeling too lazy I may make a video showing the process.

Keep those thumbs green mates.

I could use a hand from some of you experienced DIYers. I've been trying to figure out all the wiring and all my research is just leaving me more confused. To start, could someone explain this diagram from Mean Well?
driver_diagram.png

I'm trying to build a control box. The control box will feature a LCD display for power, a on/off switch, and a 100k pot for dimming.

Here's a diagram for the display:
lcd_display.jpg

I have a 5 pin 12V LED lit push button or a 3 pin rocker switch for the on/off switch (not sure if I need a relay or something as well), and as I mentioned, a 100k pot for dimming.

If anyone could help me out with figuring out how to wire all this or get me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Cheers

I’ll try to lend a hand when I get home.

driver_diagram-png.848654

So, on this schematic starting in the upper left hand corner (I don't know how Canada is wired, so this will be for U.S.A.):

N: Neutral/common wire from outlet (it's typically white here in USA)
L: Live/Hot wire (typically black here)
FG: Ground (green here)
DIM+: connect to one side of the potentiometer (which side you attach it to depends on which way the knob dims, counterclockwise/anticlockwise for dim, or vice-versa)
DIM-: connect to the middle of the potentiometer
V+: positive side of your COB array (I think you're familiar with this part already)
V-: negative side of COB array

lcd_display-jpg.848655

If I'm reading the diagram right for the LCD display... your hot/live wire (typically black here) out of your outlet will go to the "L" (second from the top) screw input, and the common/neutral (typically white here) will go to the "N" (third from the top) screw input. The top screw output will go to your "L" on your driver, the bottom screw output will go to the "N" on your driver.

IMG_5191.jpg

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN. PLEASE GET A SECOND OPINION BEFORE PLUGGING IT IN.

driver_diagram-png.848654

So, on this schematic starting in the upper left hand corner (I don't know how Canada is wired, so this will be for U.S.A.):

N: Neutral/common wire from outlet (it's typically white here in USA)
L: Live/Hot wire (typically black here)
FG: Ground (green here)
DIM+: connect to one side of the potentiometer (which side you attach it to depends on which way the knob dims, counterclockwise/anticlockwise for dim, or vice-versa)
DIM-: connect to the middle of the potentiometer
V+: positive side of your COB array (I think you're familiar with this part already)
V-: negative side of COB array

lcd_display-jpg.848655

If I'm reading the diagram right for the LCD display... your hot/live wire (typically black here) out of your outlet will go to the "L" (second from the top) screw input, and the common/neutral (typically white here) will go to the "N" (third from the top) screw input. The top screw output will go to your "L" on your driver, the bottom screw output will go to the "N" on your driver.

View attachment 848888

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN. PLEASE GET A SECOND OPINION BEFORE PLUGGING IT IN.
Thanks bud. I felt pretty confident with what you explained before (asked an electrician bud), but I appreciate you solidifying that confidence. What I'm confused about though is the switch. Do I need a relay, and where in the circuit would it go? Can I use the 12V switch or do I need a seperate power supply? Thanks for your help man.

d16b2e3e0236e3895b718caa2e7aa8db.jpg

This will shut the power off to the driver but not the LCD panel. A switch is basically just a "break" in a wire, so no power supply or relay is needed. I’m not exactly sure if the switch needs to be grounded, though.
Is the switch rated for the amount of power going through it? Example 120v/240v

Last edited:
Back