Lighting Planning for a DIY COB build

d16b2e3e0236e3895b718caa2e7aa8db.jpg

This will shut the power off to the driver but not the LCD panel. A switch is basically just a "break" in a wire, so no power supply or relay is needed. I’m not exactly sure if the switch needs to be grounded, though.
Is the switch rated for the amount of power going through it? Example 120v/240v
The rocker switch is: Rated Voltage:AC 6A/250V 10A/125V.
Push button is: Switch Rating:6A/125VAC,LED Voltage: 12V only.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

The rocker switch will work.

I guess I need to ask what you want to control with that switch: the driver, LED panel, “whole ball o’ wax”?

The rocker switch will work.

I guess I need to ask what you want to control with that switch: the driver, LED panel, “whole ball o’ wax”?
I was hoping for the "whole ball o' wax" as you put it, but I'd settle for anything.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Looks good. I see that you grounded your switch. Make sure that the switch is good for your wall voltage and fairly high current. Also MAKE SURE that you have the proper switch otherwise you might send Line into ground as a dead short. Check the switch with a meter first on continuity setting to verify the poles. DIY baby!!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Looks good. I see that you grounded your switch. Make sure that the switch is good for your wall voltage and fairly high current. Also MAKE SURE that you have the proper switch otherwise you might send Line into ground as a dead short. Check the switch with a meter first on continuity setting to verify the poles. DIY baby!!!

Thanks man. This electrical stuff fries my brain sometimes, I'm more of a builder than an electrician. Is it a good thing I've grounded the switch? Does that make it safer? Do i need to?

In terms of having the proper switch, I have two choices at my immediate disposal;

Option 1: Amazon product
  • Product Name : Rocker Switch;Poles : SPST;Terminals : 3 Terminals (On - Off)
  • Rating Voltage : 6A 250V AC;10A 125V AC
Option 2: Amazon product
  • Switch Rating:6A/125VAC,LED Voltage: 12V only
  • Latching type: Push it-- on,Push it again--Off
  • LED built on it's own circuit,lighted when on. or could be wired to make it lighted alternate.

Switches should not be grounded, a defective switch could cause a dead short. Switches should only be able to interrupt/connect a circuit

I'm not an electrician either, but I have done a fair bit of electric work. I'm with Pop here....I have never grounded a switch....or much of anything lol. I did make a Quantum Board out of a street light and I did put a ground on that. As far as a switch needing a ground, I would almost consider it a non-issue...as normal mechanical switches are just a physical disconnect. I will put it simpler:. I have wired switches on everything from 1.5v DC @ 500ma to 220v AC Multi-Phase right off the breaker box and never grounded a switch in my life. Use over sized wires and if you're nervous about fire put a fuse inline with the hot line.

Switches should not be grounded, a defective switch could cause a dead short. Switches should only be able to interrupt/connect a circuit

I'm not an electrician either, but I have done a fair bit of electric work. I'm with Pop here....I have never grounded a switch....or much of anything lol. I did make a Quantum Board out of a street light and I did put a ground on that. As far as a switch needing a ground, I would almost consider it a non-issue...as normal mechanical switches are just a physical disconnect. I will put it simpler:. I have wired switches on everything from 1.5v DC @ 500ma to 220v AC Multi-Phase right off the breaker box and never grounded a switch in my life. Use over sized wires and if you're nervous about fire put a fuse inline with the hot line.

Thanks guys. Should my ground wire from the wall just go straight to my driver then? 18 AWG big enough, or should I get some 16? Would it matter where on the hot line I put the fuse if I choose to use one; before/after the switch?

Really appreciate the help.

Back