Greetings to the community from SW England.

I've been made to feel very welcome here at AFN. No cliques, no arrogance - just like minded souls sharing a passion! I'm blown away by the kindness that is a constant, the knowledge that is freely shared without attitude or arrogance and lastly the feeling that there aint no such thing as a daft question here.

Long live AFN - I'm most certainly in for the ride!
Good to hear! We love passing knowledge and helping others as often as we can and it shows! Glad to have you on afn

hey guys! so i DO have a question. i was gonna transfer my seedlings to cloth pots layered with 2/3 FF happy frog on bottom and 1/3 FF ocean forest on top. i don't want to mess with nutes too much and, from what i'm reading, autos don't require a bunch of nutes anyway. i figured by the time the plant got big enough to reach the happy frog, she'd be strong enough to handle the hotter soil. now i'm thinking even the ocean forest may be too hot for the little seedlings. i'm thinking now i'll do three layers with a light blending between layers so as not to shock the plant with different soil all at once. bottom third, happy frog. middle third, ocean forest. top third, a good organic potting soil with perlite and guano. in my head, it seems the layers would make a self-nutritioning home from beginning to end.

anyone experiment with layering soils? anyone think it's a terrible idea?

hey guys! so i DO have a question. i was gonna transfer my seedlings to cloth pots layered with 2/3 FF happy frog on bottom and 1/3 FF ocean forest on top. i don't want to mess with nutes too much and, from what i'm reading, autos don't require a bunch of nutes anyway. i figured by the time the plant got big enough to reach the happy frog, she'd be strong enough to handle the hotter soil. now i'm thinking even the ocean forest may be too hot for the little seedlings. i'm thinking now i'll do three layers with a light blending between layers so as not to shock the plant with different soil all at once. bottom third, happy frog. middle third, ocean forest. top third, a good organic potting soil with perlite and guano. in my head, it seems the layers would make a self-nutritioning home from beginning to end.

anyone experiment with layering soils? anyone think it's a terrible idea?

ocean forest is actually hotter, so best to put it on bottom instead...or jus mix half-n-half for whole pot...grower'z choice really...ffof has more nitrogen in it, which is good for vegging, and the frog duzn't have as much perlite in it in order to retain moisture...but, that can be a bad thing...jus ask anybody who'z ever had fungus gnatz, lol...anyhoo, i'm usin straight ffof for my girlz & so far, they be luvvin it! :biggrin: :thumbsup:

I just finished up a kindsoil grow, its a hot soil as well so i did a toplayer of coco loco and a bottom layer of the kindsoil. There was a hiccup at the beginning of the transition but it smoothes itself out pretty quick.
It seems lots of peeps will use a seperate top and bottom layer so go for it!

right on, i'm sure i had that ordered right in my head at some point 420Forever :))
thanks for the advice. you too, baked in the bluegrass :))
i think i'm gonna layer. it just feels right. but i'm gonna drop the happy frog and do 1/3 potting soil on top with ffof under that.
i'll link my grow journal when i figure out how, haha.

right on, i'm sure i had that ordered right in my head at some point 420Forever :))
thanks for the advice. you too, baked in the bluegrass :))
i think i'm gonna layer. it just feels right. but i'm gonna drop the happy frog and do 1/3 potting soil on top with ffof under that.
i'll link my grow journal when i figure out how, haha.
Been here like 3 months now still havent figured out how to link journals lol.
You can however just get in your journal and tag us in a post, wed then be able to just follow that tag and tag along!

Back