Lighting My DIY COB lights

Evil-Mobo

Evil Gardener
Reaction score
Well, @BigSm0 got me to join over here and I have been lurking a bit aside from my Mephisto journal. I gotta say this forum has been a little slower for me than I am use to but maybe becoming more active will help right.

The following (2) lights are my first ever DIY LED builds. I had once previously used a pre built COB light but it just wasn't the right setup for my environment at the time and I was having heat issues.

Anyways I built a veg light for my 3x3 tent with the following specs:
- (4) Cree CXB 3590 5000K 80 CRI
- (1) Mean Well 240-C1750B
- (1) Junction Box With dimming knob
- (1) Mod420 14" frame
- (4) Khatod Silicone Lenses
- (4) 140MM heat sinks
- (4) COB Holders

And the misc stuff to wire everything up. Although I did wire in a 240v light controller to my grow room, I left this light on the 120V as to not interfere with the timer on the light controller which will be controlling the lights in my flower tent.

Here's a pic of this setup:
IMG_20161103_145532.jpg

The next light I built is currently lighting up 1/2 my 5x9 tent. It consist of two 4 COB bars that dim independent of each other but make up one 600W+ light:
- (8) CXB 3590 3000K 80 CRI
- (8) Khatod Silicone Lenses
- (8) 140mm Heat Sinks
- (8) COB Holders
- (2) Mean Well 320-C2100B
- (2) Junction Boxes with dimmers
- Angled Aluminum Frame built by myself

And the misc stuff for this as well. Here's a couple of pics of my messy wiring etc. I still need to tidy it up. I might switch the solid core from the light bars to the junction boxes for stranded wire as it is more flexible and would be easier to work with.

IMG_20161031_190222.jpg

IMG_20161031_191038.jpg

Any questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to chime in. I am no expert at this but did a TON of research and electrical is not really my thing building stuff is. If I could do this anyone can. I had never soldered anything in my life until I built these lights.

Hope to share a lot with my fellow LED DIY guys on here.

I will be building another DIY LED later this month for my closet tent using new Diode boards that Robin is getting over @ Northern Grow Lights.

I got everything for both of these builds mostly from Robin except the drivers and COB's and the aluminum framing for the bars.

I would like to thank Northern Grow Lights & @Rahz from Tasty for their input and help on these builds.

Thanks for checking in
:thanks:

Well, @BigSm0 got me to join over here and I have been lurking a bit aside from my Mephisto journal. I gotta say this forum has been a little slower for me than I am use to but maybe becoming more active will help right.

The following (2) lights are my first ever DIY LED builds. I had once previously used a pre built COB light but it just wasn't the right setup for my environment at the time and I was having heat issues.

Anyways I built a veg light for my 3x3 tent with the following specs:
- (4) Cree CXB 3590 5000K 80 CRI
- (1) Mean Well 240-C1750B
- (1) Junction Box With dimming knob
- (1) Mod420 14" frame
- (4) Khatod Silicone Lenses
- (4) 140MM heat sinks
- (4) COB Holders

And the misc stuff to wire everything up. Although I did wire in a 240v light controller to my grow room, I left this light on the 120V as to not interfere with the timer on the light controller which will be controlling the lights in my flower tent.

Here's a pic of this setup:
View attachment 654774

The next light I built is currently lighting up 1/2 my 5x9 tent. It consist of two 4 COB bars that dim independent of each other but make up one 600W+ light:
- (8) CXB 3590 3000K 80 CRI
- (8) Khatod Silicone Lenses
- (8) 140mm Heat Sinks
- (8) COB Holders
- (2) Mean Well 320-C2100B
- (2) Junction Boxes with dimmers
- Angled Aluminum Frame built by myself

And the misc stuff for this as well. Here's a couple of pics of my messy wiring etc. I still need to tidy it up. I might switch the solid core from the light bars to the junction boxes for stranded wire as it is more flexible and would be easier to work with.

View attachment 654775

View attachment 654776

Any questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to chime in. I am no expert at this but did a TON of research and electrical is not really my thing building stuff is. If I could do this anyone can. I had never soldered anything in my life until I built these lights.

Hope to share a lot with my fellow LED DIY guys on here.

I will be building another DIY LED later this month for my closet tent using new Diode boards that Robin is getting over @ Northern Grow Lights.

I got everything for both of these builds mostly from Robin except the drivers and COB's and the aluminum framing for the bars.

I would like to thank Northern Grow Lights & @Rahz from Tasty for their input and help on these builds.

Thanks for checking in
:thanks:

Fantastic build bro.i love the fact you have put the drivers and dimmers on the wall and all connected to a light timer.cant wait for my cobs and holders to arrive then i am all set.
Have this for a great build :slap:

Fantastic build bro.i love the fact you have put the drivers and dimmers on the wall and all connected to a light timer.cant wait for my cobs and holders to arrive then i am all set.
Have this for a great build :slap:

Thanks for the rep, the light controller has 4 outlets and can run 1K watts per outlet max.

What are your plans for your build?

Thanks for the rep, the light controller has 4 outlets and can run 1K watts per outlet max.

What are your plans for your build?

i have a W146xL400xH22 heatsink that i am going to stick 4 clu-48-1212s on with a hlg-185h-c1400a driver.and i dont know if i am going to put a couple of 140mm fans on the heatsink or maybe just have a clip on fan blowing over the top of the heatsink.

i have a W146xL400xH22 heatsink that i am going to stick 4 clu-48-1212s on with a hlg-185h-c1400a driver.and i dont know if i am going to put a couple of 140mm fans on the heatsink or maybe just have a clip on fan blowing over the top of the heatsink.

The fans definitely won't hurt. You could always run it passively first and see how it does.

The fans definitely won't hurt. You could always run it passively first and see how it does.

Thats my thoughts i will just try it passive first and add fans if required.i will be making 2 in total so by the time i make the second i will know exaclty what is required.can wait to get rid of my blurple lights :smoking:

You will soon learn this place being a little slow is 10 times as good as any other forum. Jeez I just woke to 32 alerts lol. I received a message from a mod about a months ago thanking me for my hard work in the forum, what I offered was not only noticed but appreciated. That's the type of thing that makes me really push forward to help even more. These mods really care,the members are all solid folks and everyone is very humble and down to earth

You will soon learn this place being a little slow is 10 times as good as any other forum. Jeez I just woke to 32 alerts lol. I received a message from a mod about a months ago thanking me for my hard work in the forum, what I offered was not only noticed but appreciated. That's the type of thing that makes me really push forward to help even more. These mods really care,the members are all solid folks and everyone is very humble and down to earth

Good to hear sounds more like my kind of place. :biggrin:

That light looks great dude great job
:slap:
Loving the idea of building my own sometime too but i still dont have a clue. So for now ill just watch and learn

Thanks bro. If I can help with anything let me know here I am sure there are questions you may have that others do as well. It's just a lot of attention to detail you need to break it up into parts and work little by little. And you don't need to solder either. That was just extra on my part in certain places. You can use wago style connectors everywhere and be up and running a lot faster than I was.

Back