Lighting My DIY COB lights

Well, @BigSm0 got me to join over here and I have been lurking a bit aside from my Mephisto journal. I gotta say this forum has been a little slower for me than I am use to but maybe becoming more active will help right.

The following (2) lights are my first ever DIY LED builds. I had once previously used a pre built COB light but it just wasn't the right setup for my environment at the time and I was having heat issues.

Anyways I built a veg light for my 3x3 tent with the following specs:
- (4) Cree CXB 3590 5000K 80 CRI
- (1) Mean Well 240-C1750B
- (1) Junction Box With dimming knob
- (1) Mod420 14" frame
- (4) Khatod Silicone Lenses
- (4) 140MM heat sinks
- (4) COB Holders

And the misc stuff to wire everything up. Although I did wire in a 240v light controller to my grow room, I left this light on the 120V as to not interfere with the timer on the light controller which will be controlling the lights in my flower tent.

Here's a pic of this setup:
View attachment 654774

The next light I built is currently lighting up 1/2 my 5x9 tent. It consist of two 4 COB bars that dim independent of each other but make up one 600W+ light:
- (8) CXB 3590 3000K 80 CRI
- (8) Khatod Silicone Lenses
- (8) 140mm Heat Sinks
- (8) COB Holders
- (2) Mean Well 320-C2100B
- (2) Junction Boxes with dimmers
- Angled Aluminum Frame built by myself

And the misc stuff for this as well. Here's a couple of pics of my messy wiring etc. I still need to tidy it up. I might switch the solid core from the light bars to the junction boxes for stranded wire as it is more flexible and would be easier to work with.

View attachment 654775

View attachment 654776

Any questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to chime in. I am no expert at this but did a TON of research and electrical is not really my thing building stuff is. If I could do this anyone can. I had never soldered anything in my life until I built these lights.

Hope to share a lot with my fellow LED DIY guys on here.

I will be building another DIY LED later this month for my closet tent using new Diode boards that Robin is getting over @ Northern Grow Lights.

I got everything for both of these builds mostly from Robin except the drivers and COB's and the aluminum framing for the bars.

I would like to thank Northern Grow Lights & @Rahz from Tasty for their input and help on these builds.

Thanks for checking in
:thanks:
That is OUTSTANDING that is what I want two of those 600 watt lights. I have to go with @Tasty though I would not trust my abilities.

That is OUTSTANDING that is what I want two of those 600 watt lights. I have to go with tasty though I would not trust my abilities.

I have nothing against Tasty, I cannot thank Rahz enough for his help. If you see it's no coincidence I am running 2100mah drivers and 3K temps on my LED's like his new lights will have. We spoke a good amount as I built my lights not just Robin from NGL. You're in good hands with tasty just get lenses instead of those VERY fragile Angelina reflectors.

And thank you very much for the kind words. :smoking:

That is OUTSTANDING that is what I want two of those 600 watt lights. I have to go with @Tasty though I would not trust my abilities.
Fairly if you can hook up a surround sound in your home you can build a cob fixture. That's about as tough as it gets. Plenty of us die hard builders could whip you up a parts list and you could be up and running in a couple hours. Plus with DIY you can build what manufacturers don't make. That's my fav part. Not like I could go to amare or tasty to pick up a 120w cob bar that is 7 feet long. The only downside is it's very addictive.

Ok let's see who has a sharp eye? Look at post [HASHTAG]#15[/HASHTAG] and then at this pic, what's different?

IMG_20161106_162341.jpg

You guys are going totally fan less right? You are just using those bad ass heat sinks? I cannot try anything until after The holidays. This thread is very inspiring and BiGSmO you put in such a fashion that it makes me feel like Hell yea I can do this great motivation my man.

Ok let's see who has a sharp eye? Look at post [HASHTAG]#15[/HASHTAG] and then at this pic, what's different?

View attachment 655460

Well they look so much better because in the other photo they are wilting and now they are praying to the white light god.oh and it looks like you changed the back left girl ?

Back