Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Oct-Dec '22. 2700 pagez & 483k viewz

Status
Not open for further replies.
This premixed soil I am using for my current grow really doesn't want to absorb water. Its loose, it has a lot of peatmoss and nice organic matter in it, but it seems like water just goes right through it without being absorbed.

Any advice?

I was thinking about getting a larger bucket and letting the buckets of soil soak in water for a few minutes, instead of just pouring it through?

Is it worth using a wetting agent?
What brand soil? Is it actually going through the media or just running down the sides of the pot? I have that happen when my pots get to dry and go hydrophobic

also yes I recommend a wetting agent once a week

Genetic preservationists...

:crying:
1670430707896.gif

This premixed soil I am using for my current grow really doesn't want to absorb water. Its loose, it has a lot of peatmoss and nice organic matter in it, but it seems like water just goes right through it without being absorbed.

Any advice?

I was thinking about getting a larger bucket and letting the buckets of soil soak in water for a few minutes, instead of just pouring it through?

Is it worth using a wetting agent?
RAW Yucca..........get it!

What brand soil? Is it actually going through the media or just running down the sides of the pot? I have that happen when my pots get to dry and go hydrophobic

also yes I recommend a wetting agent once a week

Its sta-green potting mix from Lowes. I know its not the best, but its winter and they didn't have many options. My last grow I had horrible fungus gnats from their house brand compost mix, so I didn't want to use that again. I read the soil is a little hot, so I put some old potting mix out of a previous grow in the center so the plants will have some time to grow before they hit the stronger stuff.

So far my seedlings seem to be doing fantastic, probably the fastest growing I've had so far out of 3 grows. The last one I had to ditch because the plants were so stunted due to issues.

Yeah, it seemed like the water was going through the media, just not absorbing at all. I did some googling, and I decided to add a drop of dish soap as a surfactant to my water. I re-watered them with that about 15 minutes ago and the water didn't come out the bottom into the drip trays. So I think it was absorbed much better this time. I hope once I get the soil actually moist it will stop being like a dry sponge, and actually absorb some water.

I watered 2 days ago, and at 6 inches deep the soil was so dry it was dusty this morning.

Its sta-green potting mix from Lowes. I know its not the best, but its winter and they didn't have many options. My last grow I had horrible fungus gnats from their house brand compost mix, so I didn't want to use that again. I read the soil is a little hot, so I put some old potting mix out of a previous grow in the center so the plants will have some time to grow before they hit the stronger stuff.

So far my seedlings seem to be doing fantastic, probably the fastest growing I've had so far out of 3 grows. The last one I had to ditch because the plants were so stunted due to issues.

Yeah, it seemed like the water was going through the media, just not absorbing at all. I did some googling, and I decided to add a drop of dish soap as a surfactant to my water. I re-watered them with that about 15 minutes ago and the water didn't come out the bottom into the drip trays. So I think it was absorbed much better this time. I hope once I get the soil actually moist it will stop being like a dry sponge, and actually absorb some water.

I watered 2 days ago, and at 6 inches deep the soil was so dry it was dusty this morning.

I have no experience with the dish soap as a wetting agent I use npk industries RAW yucca… it definitely helps make water absorb better…. I haven’t used that soil either so guess I am not much help:shrug::goodluck:

I have no experience with the dish soap as a wetting agent I use npk industries RAW yucca… it definitely helps make water absorb better…. I haven’t used that soil either so guess I am not much help:shrug::goodluck:

I'm ordering some of the yucca stuff, thanks!

YEah, the soil wasn't the best choice, but I didn't have a lot of options. But at $10 for a bag it filled up 4, 5gallon buckets, so hopefully it works out well.

I'm ordering some of the yucca stuff, thanks!

YEah, the soil wasn't the best choice, but I didn't have a lot of options. But at $10 for a bag it filled up 4, 5gallon buckets, so hopefully it works out well.

I’ve seen folks use all sorts of stuff you should be fine just takes some dialing in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back