IMG_4651.jpeg

Good Morfnoevight All! EO'n'Dabs.

Vegetable hash with a fried egg on top, banana and a very fine Long Black pulled with Yemen/Ethiopia roasted to near Vienna 8 days off the roast. I cannot begin to tell you how good this is and how much it changes as the temperature goes down. A coffee snob's delight!

IMG_20240823_090202435.jpg

Mornin' Dabs

To 'Bruce it up a bit':

Yeah, as a former HPS grower, you won't see true 'heat light burn' like you're thinking (unless it touches like Dab said).

What you will see, is a bunch of people still claiming that 'light burn is realz / too much light / it burnsss - just look at my plantz!'

What's happening there is more nutrient-based / vpd-based damage because of the whole 'light-density decreases / increases with square of distance' thing. It's that the top parts still can reach a point where they get sooo many (not necessarily too many) photons that transpiration / photosynthesis / nutrient utilization / etc at those portions can't keep up. And, technically, photons still heat things - just through radiative heat transfer and not conductive heat transfer. So the 'local' vpd (meaning at those locations of the plant, not the vpd of the 'bulk' tent / room / area itself) also increases which makes things worse.

Meaning, what LED growers typically see would probably be better described as 'metabolic and/or mechanical' light-based 'damage or stress'.

In those cases, the actual cause and fix is likely more sap-based / soil pH-based / etc, but people typically just say 'raise the damn lights'. So, the confusion / misconception stays alive within the community. For example, I put your question into Google's Gemini AI, and the response is attached. It just gave a generic / high-level response that you see everywhere in the vein of 'should I choose HPS or LED' and 'here's things you already did wrong'. No help in explaining or clarifying.

I still claim that AI can't grow cannabis.

But, back to you as a former HPS grower - yeah, light burn as you know it doesn't happen with LEDs and you didn't need to read this.

:baked:
I agree with you for the most part because understanding VPD and being able to control it well, are two vastly different things. I find that just trying to stay >40% RH and < 60% RH with temperatures between 68°F and 86°F is a good target. After the seedling stage at 80°F & 80%RH New growers have a hard time with this and then blame the lights. We need to be mindful that some Led fixtures are including IR diodes that might be capable of burning if the pant is to close. It will be heat burn and not light burn.

I just got my Pulse One connected to my new router. @okPete #214 is still working, what an amazing device and service!

Back