Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jul-Sep '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a conundrum.

Qb
The-consistency-conundrum.png

Doesn't port have a lot of sulfites in it? I'm sensitive as hell and have to be particular about what wine I drink.
What symptoms do you get from the sulfites? My microbiologist friend told me to be careful of wines with sulfite preservatives because they kill off the beneficial microbes in your gut. I noticed that some wines give me insomnia, don't know if it was a sulfite issue. I can't drink much any more anyway because of health issues. I used to buy 20 gallons of fresh grape juice at harvest time and ferment it myself in 5GL glass carboys. I'm surrounded by grape farms. Walker's would fill up my carboys in the back of my truck with a hose. They also ship 5GL buckets of juice, pasteurized so it doesn't start to ferment 'til you open it.

What symptoms do you get from the sulfites? My microbiologist friend told me to be careful of wines with sulfite preservatives because they kill off the beneficial microbes in your gut. I noticed that some wines give me insomnia, don't know if it was a sulfite issue. I can't drink much any more anyway because of health issues. I used to buy 20 gallons of fresh grape juice at harvest time and ferment it myself in 5GL glass carboys. I'm surrounded by grape farms. Walker's would fill up my carboys in the back of my truck with a hose. They also ship 5GL buckets of juice, pasteurized so it doesn't start to ferment 'til you open it.
From wine it's mainly just a bad headache, kinda like a hangover. I had an extremely bad reaction to some frigging Black olives at a salad bar. They must have poured it to it, because I almost had a full on anaphylactic reaction.,
Well if high sulfite wine kills bacteria, that just totally blows any good benefits that wine might have.

IMG_20230908_095155534.jpg
I've moved this shit from the store to the job on the second floor, back down to the truck back to the store to customer service and now i gotta load it back in the truck drive to go get the card drive back to home Depot unload it again back to customer service and return it, all in the rain. I just returned stuff with a receipt from my phone yesterday now they won't do it with out the card. Time to smoke a bowl :smokeout:

From wine it's mainly just a bad headache, kinda like a hangover. I had an extremely bad reaction to some frigging Black olives at a salad bar. They must have poured it to it, because I almost had a full on anaphylactic reaction.,
Well if high sulfite wine kills bacteria, that just totally blows any good benefits that wine might have.
I agree. A lot of instructions I've seen for making wine call for adding Sodium Metabisulfate in the beginning to kill off unwanted microbes in the juice, and again at the end to stop fermentation. I didn't use it and my wine was still drinkable, but I'm not a conno-sewer. For commercial wine the sulfites make quality control a lot easier. I think in USA they're required to state on the bottle "contains sulfites."
EDIT: I want live yeast in my wine and my beer, and I'm fine with a little sediment at the bottom, and I don't care about shelf life, fresh is best.

Last edited:
View attachment 1630324I've moved this shit from the store to the job on the second floor, back down to the truck back to the store to customer service and now i gotta load it back in the truck drive to go get the card drive back to home Depot unload it again back to customer service and return it, all in the rain. I just returned stuff with a receipt from my phone yesterday now they won't do it with out the card. Time to smoke a bowl :smokeout:
Well, some days you're the boot and then other days you're the dog turd!

Guess what you are today? :biggrin:

Here's some Knows Candy, brother! :pass:

I agree. A lot of instructions I've seen for making wine call for adding Sodium Metabisulfate in the beginning to kill off unwanted microbes in the juice, and again at the end to stop fermentation. I didn't use it and my wine was still drinkable, but I'm not a conno-sewer. For commercial wine the sulfites make quality control a lot easier. I think in USA they're required to state on the bottle "contains sulfites."
Ohh yeah definitely they have the warning on the side of the bottle.
I think Wineries that use it, just use it as a crutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back