Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jul-Sep '21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morfnoevight All! way past espresso.

I have been blessed with finding a true Toyota Truck Mechanic. I have had my truck looked at by 3 other mechanics and I am no stranger to a wrench. We could not fix the mis-fire/stumble it had. He is a one man show and I waited 6 months for him to have time to look at my truck. He found the problem in two hours. He also found three missing brackets, only two bolts between the bell housing and transmission two simply missing! and several other wrong nuts, bolts etc. Whoever put the motor in before I bought the truck was not a mechanic! The point I am trying to make here is this man knows what should be there and what should not. He replaced the oil pressure gauge in the dash and installed new lamps in the dash, a new socket in the gear shift lever. He is doing all the work to bring this back up to factory spec. The problem was an improperly routed fuel line that was crimped. The pressure would test alright past the crimp but there would not be enough volume. He spotted it and fixed it in less than 2 hours :thumbsup:

3591214540411469868.jpg

I Bet he fed them though.......:headbang:....If you see a dank period forecast you stop feeding...or they will go to mold.
On outdoor....if damp/cold/rain coming...Stop feeding....until it has passed....

I did not know that, Thank you. I don't get to grow outside but I would love to!

99% alcohol?
That sounds like "Isopropyl alcohol" was used for this extraction, as "ethanol" has a max % of 95.6% ABV.
You can also get wsomething called "absolute ethanol" which is 99-100% AVB.

Some procedures that are sensitive to the presence of water require absolute ethanol.
A common method to produce ethanol with a higher concentration than 95% is to use additives that disrupt the azeotrope composition and allow further distillation.
For this reason, absolute ethanol contains trace amounts of these additives (such as benzene).
I really don't expect anyone to even get hold of "absolute ethanol" and you wouldn't want to use it, with the additives it has in it.

Which is why when I saw 99% I instantly thought it sounded like "isopropyl" which is consistently sold at a max of 99-99.9% ABV.

Isopropyl is mildly toxic and shouldn't be used for "tinctures" (a medicine made by dissolving a drug in alcohol) as it will turn to acetone in the liver.
Even when making Qwiso (quick wash iso extraction) the isopropyl needs to be completely evaporated off before consuming.
Low concentrations of residual "isopropanol" can cause gastric disturbances, while higher concentrations can be lethal.

It is always best to use "food grade" ethyl/ethanol for extractions and tinctures.
Never ever use "denatured alcohol" which is designed to be toxic and unsuitable for human consumption.
In the USA Everclear or 151 rum can be used.
In the UK "food grade ethanol" can be bought on ebay @ around £30 a liter (just make sure you search for "food grade"!!!

OK safety bit over.

Now to to the matter at hand - how to reduce the amount of chlorophyll in a "tincture" or "qwet" (quick wash ethanol extraction).

Solvents fall into one of two categories "polar" or "non-polar".

Non-polar solvents, like propane and butane, dissolve the non-polar compounds like lipids, oils, and waxes comprising the trichome heads.

Polar solvents, like ethanol extract polar compounds. Water insoluble molecules, like chlorophyll a and chlorophyll b,are naturally soluble in alcohols like ethanol.

Ethanol is both "polar" and "non polar" so it extracts both oil soluble and water soluble compounds.

However there is a way we can reduce the "polar" (water soluble) element of "ethanol".

At warmer temps "ethanol" will extract more of the "polar soluble" compounds.
Conversely, at colder temps "ethanol" will extract more of the "non polar" compounds.

So the trick would be to chill you weed and "ethanol" before you start the "qwet" extraction process.
This will significantly reduce chlorophyll in you tincture but not completely remove it.
However a hint of "arse" is still better than, the full on taste of "arse"!:haha::eyebrows:

Further safety note - "alcohol tinctures" should not be given to recovering alcoholics.

@arty zan We cannot easily get 151 and ever-clear is off limits. I buy cheap vodka when it is on sale $8 for 1.75L and distill it down to about 185 proof.

Then I do both QWET and long soak. The frozen QWET is good for edibles or oil. The long soak makes sludge that is only fit for edibles. I add synthetic terps to help hide how awful it really is. But it will get you sooooooooooo stoned :crying:

I use this to distill the vodka down, I also recapture about 70% of the ethanol from the QWET before I dry it.

ScreenHunter_129 Jun. 25 12.07.jpg

Now, when I saw that first picture, alI could think of was the film "Caddy Shack"!
God damnit, there I go again showing my age hehe.
Looks like you making good progress with your grow shed project!

Only thing is the gopher ain’t dumb enough to dig through the rocks. :digit:

Good Morfnoevight All! way past espresso.

I have been blessed with finding a true Toyota Truck Mechanic. I have had my truck looked at by 3 other mechanics and I am no stranger to a wrench. We could not fix the mis-fire/stumble it had. He is a one man show and I waited 6 months for him to have time to look at my truck. He found the problem in two hours. He also found three missing brackets, only two bolts between the bell housing and transmission two simply missing! and several other wrong nuts, bolts etc. Whoever put the motor in before I bought the truck was not a mechanic! The point I am trying to make here is this man knows what should be there and what should not. He replaced the oil pressure gauge in the dash and installed new lamps in the dash, a new socket in the gear shift lever. He is doing all the work to bring this back up to factory spec. The problem was an improperly routed fuel line that was crimped. The pressure would test alright past the crimp but there would not be enough volume. He spotted it and fixed it in less than 2 hours :thumbsup:

View attachment 1350640

I did not know that, Thank you. I don't get to grow outside but I would love to!

@arty zan We cannot easily get 151 and ever-clear is off limits. I buy cheap vodka when it is on sale $8 for 1.75L and distill it down to about 185 proof.

Then I do both QWET and long soak. The frozen QWET is good for edibles or oil. The long soak makes sludge that is only fit for edibles. I add synthetic terps to help hide how awful it really is. But it will get you sooooooooooo stoned :crying:

I use this to distill the vodka down, I also recapture about 70% of the ethanol from the QWET before I dry it.

View attachment 1350648
You know I stopped short of mentioning Distillation or going visit your local moonshiner lol.
Those kitchen top unit will do the job but as they are air cooled you need to run it a couple of times to get the the proof, from what I hear about them.
However that may vary due to the local temps, you may get a higher proof in Alaska rather than Texas??:shrug:
Here in the UK it still is a bit of an arse to get food grade ethanol but it is out there I believe there are uses for it in the cake world and candy making!

Culinary Solvent Pure Food Grade Ethanol Distilled by The Northern Maine Distilling Company Banner

5 Gallons Organic 190 Proof Food Grade Ethanol

• Load image into Gallery viewer, 5 Gallons - Organic 95% Ethyl Alcohol [190 Proof] Food Grade Ethanol - Culinary Solvent™Load image into Gallery viewer, 5 Gallons - Organic 95% Ethyl Alcohol [190 Proof] Food Grade Ethanol - Culinary Solvent™
5 Gallons - Organic 95% Ethyl Alcohol [190 Proof] Food Grade Ethanol - Culinary Solvent™
Regular price$380.00
Shipping calculated at checkout.
Culinary Solvent is pure 190 proof food grade ethanol
designed for recipes, processes, or environments intended for internal human consumption or external topical application. Non-denatured alcohol, zero additives, a food safe product.

Why choose Culinary Solvent 190 Proof Food Grade Ethanol?

Culinary Solvent is 1.) Safe 2.) Proven 3.) Natural
Move over swiss army knife, Culinary Solvent is the new super-tool for the kitchen, laboratory, workshop, or nursery. Checkout the tab of suggested uses to see all of the different ways people just like you use Culinary Solvent.

Is Culinary Solvent Organic 190 Proof the same as Everclear 190 proof?
Compare Everclear 190 Proof with Culinary Solvent pure food grade ethanol
Both Culinary Solvent and Everclear 190 proof are food grade ethanol products, but the similarities end there. Can you even buy organic Everclear in bulk? Everclear is a registered trademark of Luxco, Inc and not affiliated with Culinary Solvent. Read More: Culinary Solvent vs Everclear: What is the same? and What is different?

Website - https://culinarysolvent.com/collect.../products/5-gallons-organic-190-proof-ethanol

All you have to do is say your a

1. Bee keeper trying to get rid of "Varroa Mites" using an Oxalic Acid Vaporizer
  2. Unlocking advance baking techniques and glazes
  3. In to making, hard & soft candies, gels, shells and coatings
  4. making vanilla extract
  5. a neutral base for making aromatherapy oil & perfumes
  6. Non toxic shellac & wood finishes
There are some other examples of how and why you would use it on the website.

$380 sounds a lot but that is for 5 gallons, maybe do a co-operative buy with others and spread the cost.

Last edited:
No I'm not familiar with him @Jraven but I'd like to thank you for bringing him in to my world!
He also knows that gulls are gulls and not seagulls LMAO I'm such an old curmudgeony pedant!!
People can call'em what they like hehe, I'll just mutter under my breath and pretend I didn't hear anything. :crying:

Who you callin' old timer BTW? :rofl:
I'm a spritely 52 I'll have you know!

:doc1: God damnit even the emoji's think I'm old!:rofl:

I'll let you in on a secret, I went to a rave last weekend, no joke and still had it large!
What can I say but I am just an old hedonist!
View attachment 1350625
Well, I'm even older amazingly :haha: but I meant the artist...he's ancient lol. Myself I've been playing some rock and roll with the boys the last few weeks. I'll try and get some pics...we're moving to our outdoor venue soon.
Can't imagine life without the sound of the gulls:pass:

You know I stopped short of mentioning Distillation or going visit your local moonshiner lol.
Those kitchen top unit will do the job but as they are air cooled you need to run it a couple of times to get the the proof, from what I hear about them.
However that may vary due to the local temps, you may get a higher proof in Alaska rather than Texas??:shrug:
Here in the UK it still is a bit of an arse to get food grade methanol but it is out there I believe there are uses for it in the cake world and candy making!

Culinary Solvent Pure Food Grade Ethanol Distilled by The Northern Maine Distilling Company Banner

5 Gallons Organic 190 Proof Food Grade Ethanol

• Load image into Gallery viewer, 5 Gallons - Organic 95% Ethyl Alcohol [190 Proof] Food Grade Ethanol - Culinary Solvent™Load image into Gallery viewer, 5 Gallons - Organic 95% Ethyl Alcohol [190 Proof] Food Grade Ethanol - Culinary Solvent™
5 Gallons - Organic 95% Ethyl Alcohol [190 Proof] Food Grade Ethanol - Culinary Solvent™
Regular price$380.00
Shipping calculated at checkout.
Culinary Solvent is pure 190 proof food grade ethanol
designed for recipes, processes, or environments intended for internal human consumption or external topical application. Non-denatured alcohol, zero additives, a food safe product.

Why choose Culinary Solvent 190 Proof Food Grade Ethanol?

Culinary Solvent is 1.) Safe 2.) Proven 3.) Natural
Move over swiss army knife, Culinary Solvent is the new super-tool for the kitchen, laboratory, workshop, or nursery. Checkout the tab of suggested uses to see all of the different ways people just like you use Culinary Solvent.

Is Culinary Solvent Organic 190 Proof the same as Everclear 190 proof?
Compare Everclear 190 Proof with Culinary Solvent pure food grade ethanol
Both Culinary Solvent and Everclear 190 proof are food grade ethanol products, but the similarities end there. Can you even buy organic Everclear in bulk? Everclear is a registered trademark of Luxco, Inc and not affiliated with Culinary Solvent. Read More: Culinary Solvent vs Everclear: What is the same? and What is different?

Website - https://culinarysolvent.com/collect.../products/5-gallons-organic-190-proof-ethanol

All you have to do now is say your a

1. Bee keeper trying to get rid of "Varroa Mites" using an Oxalic Acid Vaporizer
  2. Unlocking advance baking techniques and glazes
  3. In to making, hard & soft candies, gels, shells and coatings
  4. making vanilla extract
  5. a neutral base for making aromatherapy oil & perfumes
  6. Non toxic shellac & wood finishes
There are some other examples of how and why you would use it on the website.

$380 sounds a lot but that is for 5 gallons, maybe do a co-operative buy with others and spread the cost.
$380 for 5 gallons @95% sounds pretty good. I'm a distiller too, use it for everything :thumbsup:

Only thing is the gopher ain’t dumb enough to dig through the rocks. :digit:

to the forums
$380 for 5 gallons @95% sounds pretty good. I'm a distiller too, use it for everything :thumbsup:
Your a distiller too......oh really? :biggrin::bow::headbang::eyebrows::pighug:
I have a real yearning to distill my own and the best bit it is legal to do so in the UK, just as long as you pay the duty and don't sell it (I'm sure people maybe a little bit economic with the truth, when it comes to quantity though lol):crying::cheers:

I bough my self a jar of Georgia Moon white corn whiskey and it was awesome so much better taste than regular vodka.
I really enjoyed that slight pepperyness on the finish, so I'm guessing there may have been some rye in there too.

To be honest It will be a few years before I get round to it, as I will need buy the gear & to get it all set up.
I had considered a traditional copper still but It will be easier to get an electric "Turbo 500" which come with a column condenser for stripping runs.
The Turbo 500 still is the most advanced small-batch distillation system in the world extracting an incredibly high 95% of potential alcohol from the wash at 93% purity, when using the column.
They also sell a copper amblic condenser for the Turbo 500, which gives a lower proof but better flavor from the ingredients in the wash.
The point is I have put in a fair amount of time reading, studying and following distillation channels on youtube.
However I have not actually ever know anyone who has actual practical experience with distilling.

If you don't mind in the future, I may want to run by this and that by you?
For the most part I think I can get most of it sorted myself as I a very capable person but there are always bits and pieces you can only know, by having a working experience of doing something over a long period of time!
At the present time, it is still a pipe dream but one I am am adamant I will do as it fascinates me so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back