Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Apr-Jun '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Mañ'O'Green

I understand that coco is a form of hydroponics. I grow my plants in half coco / half soil because of the benefits the coco give for both water retention and soil drainage. But, for the sake of conversation, yes, I understand that coco is inert. I also understand hydroponics quite well, I currently have a backyard full of tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers growing in 55 gallon drums and 27 gallon totes using masterblend.

I understand what they are trying to do with increasing or decreasing the amount of specific nutrients available to the plant.

But this reminds me of that episode of The Office, where Dwight is picking out their health insurance plan. He claims he can raise and lower his cholesterol at will. Pam asks him why he would raise it, and he says "so that I can lower it."

Why would you remove nutrients? I understand ramping up the nutrient amount. But then, if you follow that schedule, you later reduce the amount of certain nutrients. If the plant can tolerate that nutrient level, its not causing burning or anything, why would you take away some of the nutrients you were providing? The plant can choose not to use them.
Well coco is not inert, it has a very active cation cycle. Rock wool is inert. You use coco for water drainage not retention. How can it do both? Your idea that the plant will just use what it wants is not based in science. For example a plant will uptake more nitrogen than it needs at the expense of other nutrients simply because the osmotic pressure exerted against the roots for the nitrogen is greater than other nutrients. It is called a luxury nutrient in hydroponics. In soil the soil microbes are largely responsible for what the plant is getting not so in hydroponics it is two really different worlds. The idea of adjusting the different nutrient availability is for plant steering and economics. For example cannabis needs very little N from mid to late flower or it needs more P-K at the beginning of flower You can get better plants for less cost by adjusting your nutrient schedule. Why pay for something the plant does not need or worse will overuse?

Thank you sir not exactly the question I asked but you did answer it and more:worship::thanks:I am pretty sure I have been over fertigating volume and flushing to much volume.. I have taken for gradated that coco "can't be over watered" I need to be better about how much I water my coco instead of just giving it plenty of runoff which is probably too much.. Cause anytime I've checked I am getting at least 20% each fertigation :gassy::oops1:
Over fertigating is ok, just wasteful.

Sour Stomper - Day 47 :jointman:
20230502_134449.jpg

20230502_134602.jpg

I received my Dream Beans raffle prize! Much gratitude to AFN, Derek and Shauna @ Dream Beans, and @Son of Hobbes 💚 There was also a hand written note in green ink, it gave me the feels:biggrin:
View attachment 1589366

Awesome!

I'll get to the rest of the winner PM's here in the next day; we'll get everyone sorted out! Enjoy the seeds; lots of people have been liking his genetics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back