Jraven's Alaska Summer 2018

Here's a couple pics from the road trip. At our end there's about an hour and a half of this gravel road. We call it our driveway lol. It always feels good to get back to it after the trip to town.Round trip is about 250 miles/400K
DSCN4314.JPG

This is a creek at our end of the island...it meets salt water in the distance there and you can see the remains of a cold deck from the logging in the center of the shot. Interestingly, considering the amount of rain, there aren't a lot of creeks and lakes here. The water goes down into the limestone karst formation.
DSCN4300.JPG

Farther down the way we get the pavement, which extended out our way some in the last 5 years...we don't expect it to get much closer.
DSCN4309.JPG

And down by the town it opens out onto the saltwater again
DSCN4313.JPG

It was beautiful day and we made a pretty quick trip. We'll go over at high tide today and unload our propane tanks and other supplies.
The plants lived even though I was gone, lol. I brough the big girls in from the greenhouse still cool at nite 39F last night. They're doing fine everyone's in preflower some getting some stretch some stacking on short :smoking:
P_20180519_073240.jpg

Last edited:
Damn i thought my drive was long.Who has to maintain that gravel .Very nice and secluded.We only live twenty minutes from town.My kids bitch about having to drive that far to see us.LOLI would love to live further out.Peace please

Damn i thought my drive was long.Who has to maintain that gravel .Very nice and secluded.We only live twenty minutes from town.My kids bitch about having to drive that far to see us.LOLI would love to live further out.Peace please
The road is mostly US Forest Service, some near the villages is state-maintained. We went a long time without any road at all...we would go in by boat and stay a few days usually. The Forest Service began improving the road which is the main line of the logging road system to make it suitable for public use. It's free to all to enjoy!

Thanks for taking us on the ride into town.

Here's a couple pics from the road trip. At our end there's about an hour and a half of this gravel road. We call it our driveway lol. It always feels good to get back to it after the trip to town.Round trip is about 250 miles/400K View attachment 908362
This is a creek at our end of the island...it meets salt water in the distance there and you can see the remains of a cold deck from the logging in the center of the shot. Interestingly, considering the amount of rain, there aren't a lot of creeks and lakes here. The water goes down into the limestone karst formation.View attachment 908363
Farther down the way we get the pavement, which extended out our way some in the last 5 years...we don't expect it to get much closer.View attachment 908364
And down by the town it opens out onto the saltwater againView attachment 908365
It was beautiful day and we made a pretty quick trip. We'll go over at high tide today and unload our propane tanks and other supplies.
The plants lived even though I was gone, lol. I brough the big girls in from the greenhouse still cool at nite 39F last night. They're doing fine everyone's in preflower some getting some stretch some stacking on short :smoking:View attachment 908366

DSCN4326.JPG
The weather is unfortunately pretty awful today...49F and raining...hope it is getting that out of the way and will be a little better soon. I'm getting a little pressure to move the older first-round girls out of the solarium into the greenhouse permanently...need to make way for the tomatoes. They are late week 3 so I guess that's about all I expected to give them. They'll get better light at least.
P_20180521_083517.jpg

Here are some mug shots from yesterday Double Grape
DSCN4322.JPG

DP Blueberry auto
DSCN4326.JPG

DSCN4326.JPG

DSCN4323.JPG

Bubba Trouble
DSCN4325.JPG
P_20180521_085026.jpg

I don't mind the weather for myself but I do sometimes feel like I'm tormenting these plants:eyebrows:. I do think in the long run the greenhouse will be an improvement :thumbsup:

Nice pics as always.

Pressure to move the ladies outside. Uhmmmmm Tomatoes can go out IMHO ;)

View attachment 909242 The weather is unfortunately pretty awful today...49F and raining...hope it is getting that out of the way and will be a little better soon. I'm getting a little pressure to move the older first-round girls out of the solarium into the greenhouse permanently...need to make way for the tomatoes. They are late week 3 so I guess that's about all I expected to give them. They'll get better light at least. View attachment 909228
Here are some mug shots from yesterday Double Grape View attachment 909236
DP Blueberry auto
View attachment 909238

View attachment 909239

View attachment 909243
Bubba TroubleView attachment 909245 View attachment 909247
I don't mind the weather for myself but I do sometimes feel like I'm tormenting these plants:eyebrows:. I do think in the long run the greenhouse will be an improvement :thumbsup:

Back