Outdoor High Altitude/Desert Outdoor Organic Grow – Five Indica, One Sativa

I'm subbed :pop:. and really curious to see how you do a desert grow! Have you considered water storing polymers? :pass:

Yes, I did consider water storing polymers for my containers, but it was just not cost efficient for the size of the containers - two need 40 cubic feet of soil, and two need 60 cubic feet soil. This spring I pulled the six year old potting soil/coco coir/compost mix, and there was a healthy population of worms in the rootballs. That let me know that the core of the soil is holding moisture all year long.
This week I replaced the soil mix in the containers with a locally made soil mix that contains pumice rock. I have heard good reviews from another gardener about this combination, so I am very hopeful.
Additionally, all of my pots and raised garden beds are attached to my automatic sprinkler system/dripper system. On hot days I have found the plants like about 2-3 waterings per day at the roots. I just program the box to water based on the weather.

Last edited:
This is my first time growing autos. I am amazed at what breeders have done over the years, the science of these seeds is just down right awesome!!!

Honestly, I went with DP because so many people on this site seem to have good luck with them. I picked the Lime strain because your plant did so awesome outside.

Cool bud...yeah DP has treated myself and many, many other very well!! I wwas really quite impressed with the production and the smoke on the daiquiri!

Ok, I admit, I am very new to the whole "forum" thing - I got to figure out how to tag and everything else...

No worries bud! We all were new on the forums at one point in time!!

Yes, I did consider water storing polymers for my containers, but it was just not cost efficient for the size of the containers - two need 40 cubic feet of soil, and two need 60 cubic feet soil. This spring I pulled the six year old potting soil/coco coir/compost mix, and there was a healthy population of worms in the rootballs. That let me know that the core of the soil is holding moisture all year long.
This week I replaced the soil mix in the containers with a locally made soil mix that contains pumice rock. I have heard good reviews from another gardener about this combination, so I am very hopeful.
Additionally, all of my pots and raised garden beds are attached to my automatic sprinkler system/dripper system. On hot days I have found the plants like about a 2-3 watering at the roots. I just program the box to water based on the weather.

Automatic sprinkler!! Thats awesome!! Vermiculite would also work well to retain moisture, and would be far cheaper.

Additionally, all of my pots and raised garden beds are attached to my automatic sprinkler system/dripper system. On hot days I have found the plants like about a 2-3 watering at the roots. I just program the box to water based on the weather.
I purchased some last year before I learned there was 2 different types. I can't recall the exact details, but one starts breaking down after 4 months and I couldn't find out from the vendor what kind I got. We usually have enough rain, but I was trying to cut down on watering trips. :peace:

I purchased some last year before I learned there was 2 different types. I can't recall the exact details, but one starts breaking down after 4 months and I couldn't find out from the vendor what kind I got. We usually have enough rain, but I was trying to cut down on watering trips. :peace:

Good to know about the polymers because I have considered working some into some of my smaller flower pots. I will research that a bit more.

Good to know about the polymers because I have considered working some into some of my smaller flower pots. I will research that a bit more.
I purchased 5lbs for less than $30 usd and I bet I have 99% of it left! :pass:

Automatic sprinkler!! Thats awesome!! Vermiculite would also work well to retain moisture and would be far cheaper.

There is no way I could pull off any of my plants, trees or lawn without my sprinklers/drippers being on a programmable timer. I admit it; I am a lazy gardener. I would much rather go for a hike than spending an hour watering plants by hand. However, I do quite a bit of dripper maintenance every spring, and every time my dog decides the bubbler makes a good chew toy. Daily watering is a big reason I do not have an indoor grow; it is a tremendous commitment to grow plants.

There is no way I could pull off any of my plants, trees or lawn without my sprinklers/drippers being on a programmable timer. I admit it; I am a lazy gardener. I would much rather go for a hike than spending an hour watering plants by hand. However, I do quite a bit of dripper maintenance every spring, and every time my dog decides the bubbler makes a good chew toy. Daily watering is a big reason I do not have an indoor grow; it is a tremendous commitment to grow plants.

Sounds like somebody needs an ebb n flow or similar automatic watering indoor system!

Back