Indoor GreenBean's Grows

I can stare at them for hours. Sometimes I think I can see them grow. I thought having a 4x2 in the house would keep me out of the garage, especially since the 4x2 room is also my "stereo room", where I have a pretty nice 2 channel system and a beautiful turntable - that's another huge passion of mine. But NOPE. Something about that garage and the plants booming in flower. Just hypnotizes me. My wife thinks I'm nuts. Maybe I am. In my defense, I think I've learned more about gardening in general just from observing those plants than anything else I've ever done.

Super long Observation/ Grow update/ ramble as I get closer to harvest. I'll try to post some photos later. But they are sorta the same kind of photos. Dunno if that bores anyone, or not. I know at least 4 of us here love staring at our plants till our eyes bleed, so maybe not. Maybe others do too. I'll try to get more up close fruiting shots the closer I get to harvest. Anyway:

4x4 tent-

Looking like these 3 plants are going to end up finishing around the same time-ish. Or rather, in very close succession. Interesting to note that with these 3 packed in together, I can see the order of genetics in action. They're all good. But there is a definite order visible as to which is best and so on. You can guess the order if you want. Shouldn't be hard.

Orange Sherbet: 10 gallon observation/pot size vs plant size test (more on that later), week 8 of flower : HEY! I figured out that you could, if you wanted, grow a beast in a 10 gallon in a 4x2, since she is taking up exactly 1/2 of the 4x4. So there is that. But I believe today is actually day 100. She's beginning to take less water/nutes now by about 1/2. I can see trichs turning a little cloudy, and I can see her leaves beginning to fade off and back a little. I put her on the week 7 schedule for Florflex last night. That's just the full tilt ripener now, which is basically a blast of P and K. She's getting no more N. She is covered in frost. Tons of fruits everywhere, but it's going to not just be trim jail with this one. More like solitary confinement. I finally figured out what she smells like. If you have ever used Dawn Orange scented dish soap - that's it! For whatever reason, we have some and it freaks me out when I do the dishes! I'm thinking 2-3 weeks and she's coming down. We shall see. More on that later. But she will get the full dose of ripener this week. Then 1/2 dose next week. Then plain water until she's done. Not so much a flush as just time to taper off the nutes and let her consume her resources and to save on nutes.

Sage Scout: 5 gallon, day 70 week 5 of flower: Sage is looking good. Got some MASSIVE fruits on her that are around 13" tall or so. Beginning to fatten those up too. Frost soaked. Taking on a beautiful purplish/blue/gray color. Still super duper stinky. But the smell is mellowing a "little" and I get a hint of cookie in there. That odd color variation on the leaves here and there. It's almost like an "albino" genetic thing. Any buds in those areas have an albino look to them in areas. Like splashes of bright yellow. Kinda cool. Kinda odd. I'm thinking about 3 weeks?

Strawberry Nuggets: 5 gallon, day 63 week 4 of flower: My little, not so little Nugs. The biggest surprise of them all. Now the tallest plant in the tent. Just a pleasure despite her mag deficiency up top. Her fruits are just a site to behold. Stacking nicely, crusty frost. Taking on a beautiful strawberry scent now. Mouth watering. 3 weeks as well? Maybe 4.

Notes: The whole 10 gallon thing was a test to see if it would relate to plant size. I think it's a definite yes, it definitely relates. Strain dependent. Would I, will I, do it again? I think...yes. First, I would be more selective possibly. Like a Strawberry Nuggets in a 10 gallon? Definitely. So basically a strain that I absolutely love that I think could be capable is for sure a go.

Downsides to the 10 gallon: Well, I don't grow autos for fast yield, so that part doesn't bother me so much. I grow for the challenge of pushing them to their limits. I grow autos for the intensity of the experience. I grow them in the pursuit of seeing if I can get a yield that can rival an indoor photo. And I grow for variety. As well as the fact that something about autos just fascinates me.

So, downsides. Well, speed of harvest doesn't bother me as far as consumption, like I said. But it does bother me in the fact that with such a massive plant, it's obviously going to go longer. And in that sense, the other 2 plants in that tent, they won't reach the full potential because there simply isn't enough space to spread them wider. That BUGS me. But it is what it is. And what it is, is pretty poor planning on my end. In my defense, I really didn't know how big the plant would get. I guess. Next time I do this, I would do 2 10 gallons in a 4x4. And they would each basically get half the tent. Or maybe 1 10 gallon in the 4x4 and just let it ride. Seems like a bit of a gamble though. And running a 600 watt light for one plant? Better love that plant! What if it doesn't go big? Guess you could just put other plants in then.

Other downsides...nutes. Man does it guzzle nutes. When Sherb was really at the height of hunger, she could easily take up to 3 gallons of nutes. And that's not counting any runoff. And even with a bit of soil and vermiculite mixed into the coco for a little water retention in case I had to miss a day of water (very rare), she could take that much daily. So...maybe I will try a 10 gallon outdoors auto this summer? Out there I can do an organic grow like most of my plants outside. I have hundreds of pounds of compost I have made, etc. Way less nute cost. I don't bring my compost indoors btw, which is why my indoor grows are synthetics.

Ripening. It's easy to see that no matter how well I have tried to even the canopy without a net, with such a big plant, the fruits are not going to ripen at the same pace. I could harvest bit by bit, and might. But then the other 2 plants are still suffering. Or I can harvest the whole plant and use the less ripened fruits for extraction or something. So there's another downside - not only are the other 2 plants suffering due to the size of the 10 gallon plant, but the 10 gallon plant itself suffers too. I suppose if you LOVE a strain and want to shoot for a monster yield, 1 in a 4x4 is the way to go? Or not. I think in the end, that next time I try 10 gallon pots, I will go with 2 in the 4x4 and see how that fares.

Anyway, there's my novel for the week. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Super long Observation/ Grow update/ ramble as I get closer to harvest. I'll try to post some photos later. But they are sorta the same kind of photos. Dunno if that bores anyone, or not. I know at least 4 of us here love staring at our plants till our eyes bleed, so maybe not. Maybe others do too. I'll try to get more up close fruiting shots the closer I get to harvest. Anyway:

4x4 tent-

Looking like these 3 plants are going to end up finishing around the same time-ish. Or rather, in very close succession. Interesting to note that with these 3 packed in together, I can see the order of genetics in action. They're all good. But there is a definite order visible as to which is best and so on. You can guess the order if you want. Shouldn't be hard.

Orange Sherbet: 10 gallon observation/pot size vs plant size test (more on that later), week 8 of flower : HEY! I figured out that you could, if you wanted, grow a beast in a 10 gallon in a 4x2, since she is taking up exactly 1/2 of the 4x4. So there is that. But I believe today is actually day 100. She's beginning to take less water/nutes now by about 1/2. I can see trichs turning a little cloudy, and I can see her leaves beginning to fade off and back a little. I put her on the week 7 schedule for Florflex last night. That's just the full tilt ripener now, which is basically a blast of P and K. She's getting no more N. She is covered in frost. Tons of fruits everywhere, but it's going to not just be trim jail with this one. More like solitary confinement. I finally figured out what she smells like. If you have ever used Dawn Orange scented dish soap - that's it! For whatever reason, we have some and it freaks me out when I do the dishes! I'm thinking 2-3 weeks and she's coming down. We shall see. More on that later. But she will get the full dose of ripener this week. Then 1/2 dose next week. Then plain water until she's done. Not so much a flush as just time to taper off the nutes and let her consume her resources and to save on nutes.

Sage Scout: 5 gallon, day 70 week 5 of flower: Sage is looking good. Got some MASSIVE fruits on her that are around 13" tall or so. Beginning to fatten those up too. Frost soaked. Taking on a beautiful purplish/blue/gray color. Still super duper stinky. But the smell is mellowing a "little" and I get a hint of cookie in there. That odd color variation on the leaves here and there. It's almost like an "albino" genetic thing. Any buds in those areas have an albino look to them in areas. Like splashes of bright yellow. Kinda cool. Kinda odd. I'm thinking about 3 weeks?

Strawberry Nuggets: 5 gallon, day 63 week 4 of flower: My little, not so little Nugs. The biggest surprise of them all. Now the tallest plant in the tent. Just a pleasure despite her mag deficiency up top. Her fruits are just a site to behold. Stacking nicely, crusty frost. Taking on a beautiful strawberry scent now. Mouth watering. 3 weeks as well? Maybe 4.

Notes: The whole 10 gallon thing was a test to see if it would relate to plant size. I think it's a definite yes, it definitely relates. Strain dependent. Would I, will I, do it again? I think...yes. First, I would be more selective possibly. Like a Strawberry Nuggets in a 10 gallon? Definitely. So basically a strain that I absolutely love that I think could be capable is for sure a go.

Downsides to the 10 gallon: Well, I don't grow autos for fast yield, so that part doesn't bother me so much. I grow for the challenge of pushing them to their limits. I grow autos for the intensity of the experience. I grow them in the pursuit of seeing if I can get a yield that can rival an indoor photo. And I grow for variety. As well as the fact that something about autos just fascinates me.

So, downsides. Well, speed of harvest doesn't bother me as far as consumption, like I said. But it does bother me in the fact that with such a massive plant, it's obviously going to go longer. And in that sense, the other 2 plants in that tent, they won't reach the full potential because there simply isn't enough space to spread them wider. That BUGS me. But it is what it is. And what it is, is pretty poor planning on my end. In my defense, I really didn't know how big the plant would get. I guess. Next time I do this, I would do 2 10 gallons in a 4x4. And they would each basically get half the tent. Or maybe 1 10 gallon in the 4x4 and just let it ride. Seems like a bit of a gamble though. And running a 600 watt light for one plant? Better love that plant! What if it doesn't go big? Guess you could just put other plants in then.

Other downsides...nutes. Man does it guzzle nutes. When Sherb was really at the height of hunger, she could easily take up to 3 gallons of nutes. And that's not counting any runoff. And even with a bit of soil and vermiculite mixed into the coco for a little water retention in case I had to miss a day of water (very rare), she could take that much daily. So...maybe I will try a 10 gallon outdoors auto this summer? Out there I can do an organic grow like most of my plants outside. I have hundreds of pounds of compost I have made, etc. Way less nute cost. I don't bring my compost indoors btw, which is why my indoor grows are synthetics.

Ripening. It's easy to see that no matter how well I have tried to even the canopy without a net, with such a big plant, the fruits are not going to ripen at the same pace. I could harvest bit by bit, and might. But then the other 2 plants are still suffering. Or I can harvest the whole plant and use the less ripened fruits for extraction or something. So there's another downside - not only are the other 2 plants suffering due to the size of the 10 gallon plant, but the 10 gallon plant itself suffers too. I suppose if you LOVE a strain and want to shoot for a monster yield, 1 in a 4x4 is the way to go? Or not.

Anyway, there's my novel for the week. Enjoy.
So I'm seriously debating a 4x2 to run one or two big plants at a time of whatever strains from the tiny tent I decide I work well as meds for me. You think 1 in a 4x2 would be best then? Then I can keep my variety of tiny plants in the 2x2 but have space for a more generous yield once I find something I like lol.

So I'm seriously debating a 4x2 to run one or two big plants at a time of whatever strains from the tiny tent I decide I work well as meds for me. You think 1 in a 4x2 would be best then? Then I can keep my variety of tiny plants in the 2x2 but have space for a more generous yield once I find something I like lol.

If you're thinking about shooting for a massive 10 gallon grow, then from my observations, one pretty huge plant like my Sherb (in a 10 gallon) would work in my/your 4x2. It'll engulf it but, yes it'll work.

If you're thinking about a couple plants in a 4x2, then I would say 2, 5 gallon pots, MAYBE 2, 7 gallon pots would be doable.

So from my laymen's observations...if you're shooting for larger wall to wall "monsters", realistically, you can fit 10-14 gallons worth of pots/plants in a 4x2 space.

Which would equal for a 4x2:

1, 10 gallon plant.

2, 5 gallon plants.

Maybe 2, 7 gallon plants.

And... you can double the above numbers for a 4x4.

Caveats/ IMHO/ YMMV/ etc.... Strain dependent. And solid airflow will reign supreme. Also pay attention to height of the 4x2 tent you buy. Most of them are not as tall IMHO. Doesn't need to be 50 feet tall. But once you put a fan in filter in there, lights...ceiling height is compromised.

Sorry for using the term "monsters" cheesy AF. But I dunno what else to call the fuckers.

I can stare at them for hours. Sometimes I think I can see them grow. I thought having a 4x2 in the house would keep me out of the garage, especially since the 4x2 room is also my "stereo room", where I have a pretty nice 2 channel system and a beautiful turntable - that's another huge passion of mine. But NOPE. Something about that garage and the plants booming in flower. Just hypnotizes me. My wife thinks I'm nuts. Maybe I am. In my defense, I think I've learned more about gardening in general just from observing those plants than anything else I've ever done.
Love vintage 2 channel systems.
I have a Denon setup powered by an old, but beautiful PMA-900V Integrated.

And yes please on the pictures, duh :rofl:

I just took a standard family portrait last night. Same old, same old. I will try to get some actual fruit development/ frost/ size shots of the individual plants this evening though and upload those. Maybe I'll get fancy and try a video?

Love vintage 2 channel systems.
I have a Denon setup powered by an old, but beautiful PMA-900V Integrated.
I was really into vintage 2 channel for many years. Years and years. I was a military brat and we got stationed in Japan for about 6 years. This was in the early 80s so sort of the heyday of Japanese audio. We would skip school and sneak off base and drool over everything in the stereo shops.

30 years later and still loving and using vintage audio, I had an internal component crack from age in my vintage Marantz integrated. Took it to a guy local who actually worked for Marantz in the 80s and he was able to fix it, but told me if it failed again, it would be trash. Absolutely nowhere to get the part. Anyway, sure enough, about 3 years later the part failed. I was heartbroken. Scoured and scoured and waited hopng the part would pop up somewhere used. Never did. And I decided I would go modern.

Got a Parasound pre and power amp, a VPI Scout, etc. I'm actually SUPER happy with it all.

Funny thing, I ended up selling the broken Marantz to a guy who HAD the broken part, later on for $600. Sold my old turntable too. I can ramble on about analog stereo all day. But I doubt many here want that!

Back