Fast Buds Girl scout cookies & tangie

Anyway its day 41 and i still can see any sign of preflowering on 5 out of the 8 gsc :shrug:
Cant remember having any autos take so long before.
I feel like I'm reading this a lot lately. At first I thought maybe it was just the Sativa dominant strains that were sacrificing quick grow times in order to carry Sativa traits as purely as possible. But GSC is an Indica dom if I'm not mistaken, so it seems more ubiquitous. Any thoughts on why this might be the case?

I have no first person industry information, I just read a lot. My hypothesis is that breeders are trying to compete primarily on flavor, potency and productivity. It's difficult to impossible to have it all, so perhaps an unintended consequence of the breeders focusing their pheno selection on these characteristics is that finish times have inadvertently lengthened? Just thinking out loud, hope that's OK. :peace:

Beautiful grow, btw! Nice work. :cheers:

I feel like I'm reading this a lot lately. At first I thought maybe it was just the Sativa dominant strains that were sacrificing quick grow times in order to carry Sativa traits as purely as possible. But GSC is an Indica dom if I'm not mistaken, so it seems more ubiquitous. Any thoughts on why this might be the case?

I have no first person industry information, I just read a lot. My hypothesis is that breeders are trying to compete primarily on flavor, potency and productivity. It's difficult to impossible to have it all, so perhaps an unintended consequence of the breeders focusing their pheno selection on these characteristics is that finish times have inadvertently lengthened? Just thinking out loud, hope that's OK. :peace:

Beautiful grow, btw! Nice work. :cheers:

Sounds a reasonable enough theory my friend.

@Humanrob @hope2grow hey mates, yea i have read about it loads of times. I know that 100 day autos are still common enough but even they would have preflowers at day 45.
There must be a thread posted here at least weekly about it.
But ive grown over 200 autos and never had it happen to me
Normally i say straight away flip them to 12/12 but i need to finish the 3 that are in flower first.
I'll have to just cull the 5 of them.
@Fast Buds Heather have you seen this before with gsc?

Yea.. have to take that point.. no pre flowers at nearly 7 weeks certainly suggests they ain't gonna auto.. Heartbreaker m8 :shrug: :warrior: I've had to cull a few the last lot of months.. one a AK49 which was a real big beauty.. its a right kick in the stones.

Yea.. have to take that point.. no pre flowers at nearly 7 weeks certainly suggests they ain't gonna auto.. Heartbreaker m8 :shrug: :warrior: I've had to cull a few the last lot of months.. one a AK49 which was a real big beauty.. its a right kick in the stones.
Aw well shit happens sometimes, ive been lucky so far 5 years of autofems and ive never had a male, hermie or photo.

Sounds a reasonable enough theory my friend.
I think I got the idea reading the descriptions on Dutch Passion's site (who are known for some long finish times), where they describe how they took one of their photos and made it into an auto, and how they strive to make it as close to the photo as possible in terms of "smell, taste and effect". That seems like a thin line to walk... genetically speaking.

In some circles autos are not respected as much as photos, I would imagine that auto breeders feel some pressure to close the gap between them and try to address some of the concerns. The more they lean towards the photos these strains are based on, the more photo light sensitivity might find it's way through.

Breeding cannabis strains seems to be an art and a science, I'm really impressed with how far they've come! :worship:

Sad day in woodys auto shed, tgey had to go as i just cant run 12/12 this time of year
IMG_20201230_221253.jpg
IMG_20201230_222246.jpg
IMG_20201230_222252.jpg

Was aiming for around 1kg from the 8 but what can you do. Need to pop more beans and keep the shed up a little longer!
Roll on 2020
:pass: :pass:

Back