Indoor Full Circle Adventures in Growing

I just mixed a batch of CoCo coir with 30% perlite. I am trying this for the first time, well it's all new to me; but first six pots are OF.
Hey what's up @Moondude ur coco mix sounds good to go with the pearlite..Coco can be treated like soil or hydro depending on how often it's watered so it gives that option,it's better aerated than soil which allows for faster growth.if ya have any questions I'll help as much as I can but I'm no expert..will check it out and sub up if ya don't mind...peace bro

Hey what's up @Moondude ur coco mix sounds good to go with the pearlite..Coco can be treated like soil or hydro depending on how often it's watered so it gives that option,it's better aerated than soil which allows for faster growth.if ya have any questions I'll help as much as I can but I'm no expert..will check it out and sub up if ya don't mind...peace bro

Dude, I have a lot of questions. :dizzy:

I have been putting 1/2 dose calmag with RO for coco/perlite. Is this correct?

After I soak a brick, can it sit in tub for a few weeks and mix as needed?

Would you ever mix coco with FFOF?

I have read to not bother check Ph of coco, only your food before feeding?

You mentioned "Coco can be treated like soil or hydro depending on how often it's watered." Being new, right now I am on one-way track which is soil; one step at a time.... :cool1:. I am using smart pots. Is there too much water with smart pots? or, Can I water to draining every couple of days?

You said you would help if I had questions.....:woody:

Sorry to bombard? :cool1:

Of course I will help as much as I can..okay,on the cal mag that may be a little low when used with RO water,but some is better than none,if you will be using led lights that need will get even higher ..yes the coco can sit in the tote till you are ready to use it,no problems there...I have never mixed coco and OF ,but it could be done,,coco can be used straight,with pearlite,or just used as an amendment to soil to loosen it up for better aeration...on PH ,coco requires a lower PH than soil,I had issues using a dropper style ph kit,I bought a blue lab pen and wouldn't feed without checking it first( some people us the "ph perfect" nutes and say they don't check,but I wouldn't,I feed from 5.7-6.0)...lastly on the watering ,I water to waste every day or at most two days in fabric pots also(geo pots) and I used 2gallon bags to grow these plants,..i went three days with no water but I wouldn't make a habit of it,I try to water every day and water to waste every other day so salts don't build up..and if you were to go with a drip system the ppm has to lower than if you are hand watering..hope this helps and if you have more ? Don't hesitate to ask...Peace @Moondude

Last edited:
Of course I will help as much as I can..okay,on the cal mag that may be a little low when used with RO water,but some is better than none,if you will be using led lights that need will get even higher ..yes the coco can sit in the tote till you are ready to use it,no problems there...I have never mixed coco and OF ,but it could be done,,coco can be used straight,with pearlite,or just used as an amendment to soil to loosen it up for better aeration...on PH ,coco requires a lower PH than soil,I had issues using a dropper style ph kit,I bought a blue lab pen and wouldn't feed without checking it first( some people us the "ph perfect" nutes and say they don't check,but I wouldn't,I feed from 5.7-6.0)...lastly on the watering ,I water to waste every day or at most two days in fabric pots also(geo pots) and I used 2gallon bags to grow these plants,..i went three days with no water but I wouldn't make a habit of it,I try to water every day and water to waste every other day so salts don't build up..and if you were to go with a drip system the ppm has to lower than if you are hand watering..hope this helps and if you have more ? Don't hesitate to ask...Peace @Moondude

Excellent information. With your expressed interest in continued help, a link to my Grow Journal is below. I greatly appreciate this....:cool1:

https://www.autoflower.org/threads/project-green-thumb.51135/

I am adding 48" x 32" x 60" extra tent Tuesday, ordered last night, for the re-veg test plants I used so they can 12/12; no way in heck I can just chop down a Cannabis plant. The tent will also be used for many reason after, build the field, they will come; well I already ordered more seeds last night as well......:biggrin: It will have 250W HID MH and HPS and 3x 40W CFL lights. .

I read about cutting with coco 30% at two different breeder sites under recommendations. It appears coco may be growing in popularity and opinion, with just reason. My thought on cutting OF with the coco is that there is something for the gals when they are young. Additionally I read, somewhere I felt was credible :nono: , that the soil in the proposed mix helps hold some of the secondary nutrients, or something to this effect.

The 5.7-6.0 you are referencing for feed, you are going a little light because of the coco correct?

I check the ph on my coco/perlite mix and get a constant flat 7.0. Is this why you go light on the food ph?

Regarding pots (I use smartpots), all plants are in 3g except my Six Shooters. Six Shooters can reach 1.4m and can be large. I have the Six Shooters in 5g. Would you agree with this?

I'm still struggling a bit with terminology and the Ph parts per million thing. I have to stick my head into it. I have heard of ph perfect nutes. I am using FloraGrow with Kool Bloom (eventually). I will be feeding 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 100%, 115% sequentially off of the FlorGrow feeding chart once veg starts. If I stick to this, does this mean I am following a ph perfect plan?

Thanks again Brother!!!

Whats up @Moondude ..Okay all the info i am gonna give is based off my experience(which is somewhat limited) and i have not cut the coco with OF or soil but this is not a major concern.So lets dive into some info(i did cruise thru your journal but this info will be based off the previous post#191(just above)..This info will be specific to Auto flowering strains and not Photoperiod strains..The tent and light combo sounds soild,and your plan of using the MH for veg(go approx 3-4 weeks) and HPS for flower is good as well.You can choose the light period you want but best growth thru veg will be accomplished with 24/0(no worries,they can take it as long as your heat is controlled),in flower many still use 24/0,i chose 18/6 for both veg and flower times(personal preference)
If mixing the media at 70% soil and 30% coco,the PH should be in the 6.0-6.4 area and this is why the dropper kits are not gonna be accurate enough,if the PH gets way off(too high/low you will cause a lockout of nutes that will cause all kinds of problems),there are charts all over that show how ph affects nute uptake and the soil chart is different than coco/hydro chart,look one up so you see what im talking about..i think that the soil will help hold nutes for sprouts/seedlings till the first feed,but,most coco growers(including myself)precharge the (straight)coco,then light feed right from the start,slowly increasing the ppm as the plant gets bigger/stronger..for instance,i precharge at 400 ppm of nutes,when they sprout i feed at 400 and increase slowly,and with the ph set at 5.9 or 5.7..and since the nutes will have the macro and micro nutes in it,that part is taken care of..
The 5.7-6.0 PH i use is what the charts show for coco/hydro,again if its out of this range by much it will cause lockout issues that can be hard to pinpoint,those numbers are for veg,I do adjust a little upward for flower to 5.8-6.1...I see what you are asking(i think) on the coco at 7.0 range and while i dont have an in soil meter for testing,this is why its better to water more often,not only does it help keep the coco in the right PH range so that the nutes can be used efficiently,it also adds more oxygen to the root zone and keep the coco in the range for the plant to use the nutes..Yes coco has a tendency to buffer the PH to the 7.0 range but this is too high for both soil and coco,which is also why more waterings are better.
On Pots...My last grow,all plants were in 2 gallon fabric pots and the ultimate grew to 43 inch/1.09 meter..The geo/smart/fabric pots "air prune" the roots which keeps them from getting rootbound and allows more efficient use of the pot wheather its 1 gal or 5,the air pruning will cause the roots to branch more withing the pot and the tiny "hairs" of the root system to fill the pot better for more efficient use of the nutes..since autos have a short lifespan a smaller pot could be used better by the roots/plant and i have seen monster plants in 1 gallom fabric pots..i dont disagree with your choice at all..The 5 gal pots will require more water but less waterings,you may want to include a root enhancer/stimulator because when the tap root hit pot bottom it will start the secondary root branching and thats about the time the plant goes thru its rapid growth stage and the root stim will help speed that up so the roots fill the pot quicker..healthy roots=happy plant..
Lastly..dont get too hung up on the "ph perfect" thing, even if i was using that line i would still check with meter,I use tap water and the ppm is about 230 which has a good amount of calcium in it,i still add cal mag at full strength cause i was running into cal mag deficiencies.GH nutes are good and my personal experience using the Lucas Ratio (which is GH Maxi bloom only from start to finish with no additives)is that if they are mixed at full strength,they will be PH balance/perfect,but the ppm is too strong for autos..If you are gonna use a feed chart,use it sparingly 1/4-1/2 strength,unless you find an autoflower specific chart its better to go low and increase cause once they burn or lockout it can be hard to correct cause most autos only have 60-90 day lifespan..this is longwinded but hope it helps some.I will always find time to help a brother out...Peace

The poppies are showing a few pods now and the geranium is in flower
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Day 59 on the Blue Dream plants and almis looking well,nutes have been lowered and a kool bloom ripening powder has been added..estimated completion will be April 9...Peace
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Budelee, Thank you so much for sharing your expertise with us. I stick to every post of yours as an expert in growing and as a great person.

Humboldt Seeds do have some outstanding genetics and currently I grow in 0,36qm

1x HSO Blue Dream Autofem,
1x HSO Sour Diesel Autofem,
1x Dinafem Sour Diesel Autofem and
1x Dutch Passion Durban Poison Autofem.

At Day 30 both HSO strains "outperform" by far! the other two.

Following an earlier post of yours I have ONEtime FIMmed them at day 15 with great success so far.

Warm regards :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thank you for that compliment @hadschy ,there are plenty of growers that have given me help when I need( and still do) .anytime I can help,no problem...did you fim all of them or just a few to see the difference ?? I'll look for your journal and follow along..welcome to AFN,happy growing,and a :slap: to get you started!!!
Budelee, Thank you so much for sharing your expertise with us. I stick to every post of yours as an expert in growing and as a great person.

Humboldt Seeds do have some outstanding genetics and currently I grow in 0,36qm

1x HSO Blue Dream Autofem,
1x HSO Sour Diesel Autofem,
1x Dinafem Sour Diesel Autofem and
1x Dutch Passion Durban Poison Autofem.

At Day 30 both HSO strains "outperform" by far! the other two.

Following an earlier post of yours I have ONEtime FIMmed them at day 15 with great success so far.

Warm regards :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Love the pic @hadschy .Happy Easter to you and your family as well..post a pic of your garden,you have me curious now. Are your plants benefiting from the fim? Once you get settled in,don't forget to vote in the Bom competition,Ann is entered,but she has some awesome competition,voting starts tomorrow..Peace Bro ...

Back