For pest control. I have heard of this .For other reasons of use mentioned .I have not.

Does not mean other reasons are not correct. But pest control for sure.

I don't think DE adds any nutes, but it does work for pests (as does cinnamon). Don't expect to much on the light reflection...

Ok thanks for the feedback dudes!
:baked:

I always thought DE was high in silica as well as trace minerals but I could be wrong on that.

For keeping soil temps down I’ll just stick with mounting the netting a few inches above the soil (while making sure the plants still receive full light) as @Arthur suggested.

Will post some pics once it’s done if others want to copy the setup in case they’re in a similar climate.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Just added the netting. Here’s what it looks like

Also does anyone know why photos get rotated when you upload? Can’t figure out how to rotate them back around after posting.

View attachment 903253 View attachment 903254 Just added the netting. Here’s what it looks like

Also does anyone know why photos get rotated when you upload? Can’t figure out how to rotate them back around after posting.
DE for bugs. I keep my plants mulched with compost, holds moisture, aids temp control and feeds soil microorganisms releasing plant nutes for uptake, the circle unbroken. and, your elevated shade cloth looks like a good idea 2

That should help, but I'd try and share the whole pot... those sides stuck up a lot of heat!
Ah shit. Good point. I’ll see if I can reposition it a lil to get those sides more covered. It’s already had a big impact tho. Before I added the netting the soil was above 100 deg and now its stabilizing around 95.

Good lookin out bro!

Side question - Has anyone ever heard of using diatomaceous earth (light coating on top of the soil) mainly to help deal with pests but also reflect some light off the soil to keep soil temps down and also add some nutes?

I'm using diatomaceous earth now in my micro soil grow.
A little bit sprinkled in with the soil mix itself,
and then a thin layer on the top of the soil.
Mainly to stop bugs, which it works okay for.
And the plants are very healthy, but how much is due to the d.e. I don't know.
Don't know about keeping temps down though.

Top of phone to left hand. Should give you an upright pic.
Looking great!
Thanks Ash
I'm using diatomaceous earth now in my micro soil grow.
A little bit sprinkled in with the soil mix itself,
and then a thin layer on the top of the soil.
Mainly to stop bugs, which it works okay for.
And the plants are very healthy, but how much is due to the d.e. I don't know.
Don't know about keeping temps down though.
Oh nice! I think I’m going to do the same, on my next grow I’ll mix some DE into the soil. May also add a thin layer on top of my current grow. I’ve noticed a lot of lil bugs starting to show up in the soil.

curly2.jpg

curly1.jpg

Day 11 from above soil (day 15 after planting soaked seed).

Anyone know if this new leaf curling back on itself is normal? @912GreenSkell @Ash-a-Ton @St. Tom @trailanimal @Maria Sanchez
@jingo @Arthur

The curling back nature makes me think she’s getting too much light but I could be way off mark.

Also I see a few lil bugs on the stem. Gonna try to remove carefully.

Last edited:
Back