New Grower First grow- seedsman northern lights

The twins were fed today. A gallon of water with ff grow big and big bloom at 1/4 strength + recharge + yucca between them. They're drinking much quicker now than they have been.

The one that was lagging behind seemed to be droopier than she should be, even after the waterings. I think that she was suffering from my reluctance to do much that might stress her again. I hadn't taken much foliage off of her, much much less than the bigger plant. As a result she was getting pretty damn bushy. I'm thinking that she probably had just too much plant matter to keep rigid with the water pressure she could manage in her vasculature. There's got to be a limit to how much water her roots can drink at a time right now, and she had alot of leaves spreading the water around.
20210824_091130.jpg

So much like me with my WFH situation, I figured she was overdue for a haircut.

20210824_092206.jpg
20210824_092330.jpg

She still has alot going on up top, but i think she looks alot better and will hopefully be happier for it.

Here's the other one, just to make this a complete update on these two:
20210824_092322-1.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality-- my phone is ancient.

hmm, that looks less like drooping and more like clawing to me

Wonder what that could be a symptom of. The plant seems to be growing well otherwise.

Maybe a bit of nitrogen toxicity @Druid ? I'll just give them water for a bit and see how they respond.

New grower, too - but yeah, forums/google seem to say clawing mainly indicates nitrogen toxicity.

Are you using tap water or demin/RO?

New grower, too - but yeah, forums/google seem to say clawing mainly indicates nitrogen toxicity.

Are you using tap water or demin/RO?
Tap

Tap can have some extra nitrates in it, so may be a good idea to pick up a jug of demin for the next one or two waterings if you suspect a toxicity issue.

I'll do that just to be cautious. Our water quality report from shows .69ppm for nitrates and .79-1.29ppm for total nitrogen. I don't think that the plain water is my issue but rather feeding too often. Being cautious for the next few waterings can't hurt though.

going with straight water may lead to suboptimal results, using half the strength of your regular nutrient concentration is generally a better idea.

Do you feed every watering in soil? (happy frog here)

Back