First yes you the man I have been lookib for three days on the chance of doing this two a sol 600 600 watt know I think it might b possible thank youit pops 100 watt hydrogrow cobs like pimples and my room never gets over 78. 9 months worth hydro grow sells these cob 100 bucks a pop. Ouch. 1200 for the light there killin me.

Attachments

• 1456941372731.jpg
    1456941372731.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 196
Nope, heatsinks are built into the unit, but you need to replace the PCB the leds are attached to with an aluminum square, that you attach the cobs to.
I would rather replace it with a heat sink and attach the cobs directly to the heatsink.

I'm doing my mars reflector 96x5 to cree Heatsinks be here tomorrow i think and changing out the fans from 1600rpm to 2000 rpm fans.

I'm doing my mars reflector 96x5 to cree Heatsinks be here tomorrow i think and changing out the fans from 1600rpm to 2000 rpm fans.
from everything I have seen it is best to attach the Cree's to the heat sinks.... everyone else has had heat issues and burned out the Cree's... those with them attached to the heat sinks have had no issues.

from everything I have seen it is best to attach the Cree's to the heat sinks.... everyone else has had heat issues and burned out the Cree's... those with them attached to the heat sinks have had no issues.
Good to know.... Thanks for sharing

Im planning to convert my mars2 400 using cxb2530s on sale here: http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut2827 for under $10 each. I havent pulled it apart to see what kind of amps the power supplies put out, but the video makes it look easy enough. Just need to find a source for the 12.5 x 12.5 aluminum plate....
by the way the orginal Mars heatsinks that are built in will likely not keep those crees cool... you should go see what @Atulip did in his rebuild of the mars hydros... Here start from the beginning you will see he mounted directly to the heat sinks he odered... his are working flawlessly maybe reach out to him. https://www.autoflower.org/threads/atulip-sprouts-mephisto-organic-led.50069/

Yeah I prefer heatsink upgrade but the Mars 2 does have better heatsinks than the mars300s and reflector series. You can order specific cut heatsinks also, the 4.85" profile would fit 2 side by side in a mars 400 cut to 12.5". (Double check height)I mention that heatsink cuz it's short, and also cheap($1 an inch) and more than enough to actively cool the cobs were using.

Going by growmaus info, we want 6" of surface area minimum to cool each watt of heat actively. Measure the length and width multiply that and double. Then measure one fine height, double that, count the fins and multiply by the fin height.

IE the heatsink is 6"x4", has 20 fins each .25" high.

6x4 = 24" of surface x 2 sides = 48"
.25"x2 = .5" fin surface x 20 = 10"
48"+10"=58" and you've got a surface area good for about 8w of heat. Heat is calculated by chip efficiency x wattage pull. Should be seeing 50%+ in our cases with Cree 3070s or 3590s. So good for 16w of LED.

Now that's not completely accurate. Heatsinks should have a temperature rating in degrees/watt, like 1℃/watt, temperature would be 1℃ higher than ambient per watt of heat. I believe that's counting perfectly distributed heat too. Not 100% sure on all this, haven't looked into heatsinks too much.

But you can get the outer perimeter specs of heatsinkusa profiles(and ℃/w) on their site. There's a link to download the pdf on this page.

http://www.heatsinkusa.com/faqs/

As for reusing them in the mars2 like growmau, if it's enough heatsink, make sure to attach it to your alum plate well and use thermal adhesive.

Im thinking of getting some 3070s or 3590s for the mars conversion and using the 2530s for something else. Trying to decide if I should go with 3 72v chips or 6 36v chips tho.... Tough call!

Back