I mention the cxa3590 because the 72v cxb3590s are a bit harder to find. Cutter only stocks the 4000k DB in 72v, and mouser only has the 3000k CB and BD in stock. Digikey only has the 3000k in 72v also. I don't know what kingbrite has or anywhere else to buy these things lol.

36v would be better but you need twice as many LEDs at twice the price. Or to upgrade to drivers that run at 1.4A.

Good shit bro. I'm a huge fan of Grow & Gene's work. I'm waiting on PLC to drop the newer lights, then i'll take on the DIY in the future...when I can afford it.

I want those passive cooled heatsinks he has in the new light bars. Ideally I would have built big passive heatsink light bars. But since I have lights I might as well repurpose them. Plus who knows what tech might be out in a year or 2.

Got a second one built. 2 x CXA3590 72v 5000k CD with 2 x cxa1512 2700k. This one was a little different in the case, the heatsinks took a little wedging to fit in and holes had to be drilled for the wires.
IMAG1148.jpg

IMAG1149.jpg

IMAG1150.jpg

This is a fantastic idea and I'd like to try it. However, I don't have a grow light that I can repurpose. Is there a website where I can buy a used/broken LED grow light cheaply?

EBay. But I don't know if I'd Start with a broken one, could have a fried driver. You can make a full diy cob, not too much cost difference. The lights I'm using are $65 shipped new. Not too much to start with. Mars Hydro 300w

I've been interested in the cheap cob grow lights on eBay($140), but it looks like they run 400w+ actual, but no idea what drivers are in them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/800W-COB-LE...004601?hash=item28059f1939:g:mS8AAOSwyQtVrxBh

And of course you can just make light bars. Spend a little more and get a bigger heatsink to passively cool, and a mean well driver to match your cobs. Or mount cobs on like an arctic cpu cooler, could make individual cob units pretty reasonably priced that way.

I'm currently using a cob on an arctic CPU cooler in my space bucket, but I'm considering upgrading to a tent. In that case, I'd need 3 or 4 of them and it would be a hassle to adjust their height individually.

On the other hand, I don't have the tools or skills to build a light myself. That's why I like your method. It would give me a nice housing with fans, and I could fix each component when it breaks down.

Well it's not a bad route to just buy a $65 light and rip the insides out. That was my issue. I have basic tools and some basic electrical skills so converting my existing crap lights was a better choice.

2x Mars 300 - $125 (eBay)
4x Cxb3590 - $197 (cutter)
4x heatsink - $ 50 (heatsinkusa)
Misc - $ 20 (thermal paste, kapton, solder, wire)

So under $400 outfits a 3x3 with mars to Cree conversions.

Full DIY I'd probably go for passive bars. Like the 5.88"x18" x 2. 2 cobs on each and let's you space them out nicely for a good spread.

4x Cxb3590 - $228 (cutter, with holders and reflectors)
2x Heatsink - $ 86 (heatsinkusa)
1x driver - $ 72 (mouser, meanwell hlg185)
Misc - $ 50 (hangers, wires, screws, aluminum tubing)

So ~$440 for full DIY. Not bad since it would be more efficient(meanwell driver, no fan wattage) and would look more professional. With more even light spread(spaced apart further with 90° reflectors)

I have a mars2 400 Im currently not using, would it be worth converting something like that? Any idea what is inside the box? Swapping out the LEDs would make it much more efficient? Are we talking 40%? White leds also produce a lot of light that doesnt directly drive photosysthesis, so that needs to be accounted for also right?

Should be 3 similar drivers in there. You could pick up 3 x cxa/cxb3590 72v or run 6x 36v cobs in it.

Growmau5 used the Mars 400 in his conversion. Kept the heatsinks and just used a sheet of aluminum to mount the cobs on. And yeah, it will definitely put out more light, and a higher quality light, for less watts at the wall.

Back