Lighting Cobkits Light Engines!

A 4x4x8 tent has 16sq' of canopy. A 4x4x8 tent vertical has 32sq' of canopy. Sounds like a winner. Plant training is my biggest concern. Growing straight up isn't beneficial. Figuring how fast they grow is probably the toughest part.

Looks like I will be ripping th sink out of the bathroom and lining the walls with Visqueen. That wall of plants thing is something I have been looking at but could not envision how it would be done with Cobs. Look forward to living vicariously through your efforts! It would be an awfully nice use of vertical space.

A 4x4x8 tent has 16sq' of canopy. A 4x4x8 tent vertical has 32sq' of canopy. Sounds like a winner. Plant training is my biggest concern. Growing straight up isn't beneficial. Figuring how fast they grow is probably the toughest part.
Could the same thing be accomplished by setting up stepped shelves like plant placement with the purpose of having the vertical space used while still allowing for less training of the plant material? I am having a hard time figuring how the trellis thing could be done best without resorting to Photoperiod grows. I could definitely go for a better use of space. I could do two grows and call it a year!

Vertical growing really all about the trellis. Have to look it like big plants growing up a wall while still being supported. I tried stadium growing before and the buds were more like one sided. You need to support them since they are leaning towards the light in stadium which is really a pain in the ass. Now a stadium vertical grow could work.

The only benefit with vert is even light across the whole plant with very little shadowing from the leaves.

I'm growing in a 3x2 space, used a mars hydro II 400w which worked well at the beginning but seems to be running hotter on each grow, to the point that I'm battling temperatures all the time. Been searching for a replacement light but can't seem to find one to buy. I'm looking for quality of buds rather than yield, low heat, and as close to silent as possible. Not looking for much, I know but I can get kinda picky...:smoking:
Then researching DIY (with trepidation as I've never played around with electrics...) I came across this thread, and I'm wondering if three or four of these alone might be enough for my space? Anyone have any thoughts? Would be great to be able to position them right over the plants as well. I grow in autopots, been doing 4 plants in two easy-to-grow kits, but am going to try a run (which I'm planning on documenting on AFN) with Mexican Airlines and Dinafem CBD Haze in two 15 liter pots, though I may run out of space...:biggrin: Just need to get my light situation sorted out

I'm growing in a 3x2 space, used a mars hydro II 400w which worked well at the beginning but seems to be running hotter on each grow, to the point that I'm battling temperatures all the time. Been searching for a replacement light but can't seem to find one to buy. I'm looking for quality of buds rather than yield, low heat, and as close to silent as possible. Not looking for much, I know but I can get kinda picky...:smoking:
Then researching DIY (with trepidation as I've never played around with electrics...) I came across this thread, and I'm wondering if three or four of these alone might be enough for my space? Anyone have any thoughts? Would be great to be able to position them right over the plants as well. I grow in autopots, been doing 4 plants in two easy-to-grow kits, but am going to try a run (which I'm planning on documenting on AFN) with Mexican Airlines and Dinafem CBD Haze in two 15 liter pots, though I may run out of space...:biggrin: Just need to get my light situation sorted out

Hi bro i have just built a light for my 3x2 and it is so bright compared to my mars 2 400w and mars 300w.
the last pic is with the light on full 200w and so much light.i am doing a grow now from start to finish with this light.4 clu-48-1212s,hlg-185h-1400b driver
DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Hi bro i have just built a light for my 3x2 and it is so bright compared to my mars 2 400w and mars 300w.
the last pic is with the light on full 200w and so much light.i am doing a grow now from start to finish with this light.4 clu-48-1212s,hlg-185h-1400b driver
View attachment 670080
View attachment 670081
View attachment 670082
Thanks @2Stoned2Care, that looks impressive! Can I ask how many degrees it raises the temperature in the tent by? When I started my mars hydro raised temps by 6c which was perfect (temp without lights on is 20c), now it's raising it up to 10c taking me up 30c which I think is too much (and I have to run my fan hard to even keep it there, who wants that kind of noise going all day and night?). I'm really hoping that I can work out some cob array which will keep my space a bit cooler than that.

Thanks @2Stoned2Care, that looks impressive! Can I ask how many degrees it raises the temperature in the tent by? When I started my mars hydro raised temps by 6c which was perfect (temp without lights on is 20c), now it's raising it up to 10c taking me up 30c which I think is too much (and I have to run my fan hard to even keep it there, who wants that kind of noise going all day and night?). I'm really hoping that I can work out some cob array which will keep my space a bit cooler than that.

If you want to keep things cool you gotta raise your efficiency. The most efficient cob I know of is the CXM-32-40-70-54 which at 750ma gives you 209lm/w. Now that's the best option over here in europe but I'm sure there are similar ones with good availability where you're at. The problem is that these are lights build for 5 times that output.. they are expensive. To get on the same level as (and slightly surpass) a Mars2 400 you'd need 4 of those.

You say stealth is of import to you. Get a 200mm exhaust fan, a plug dimmer and a 200mm to <insert your filter size> adapter piece (those should run you 50 bucks). The bigger the fan the slower it has to run to transport the same amount of air.. and the less noise you have.

I have had to get a tube heater in there bro as you can see to keep the temps up.these cobs give off hardly any heat at all.it never goes above 78 degrees even with the heater on :thumbsup:

If you want to keep things cool you gotta raise your efficiency. The most efficient cob I know of is the CXM-32-40-70-54 which at 750ma gives you 209lm/w. Now that's the best option over here in europe but I'm sure there are similar ones with good availability where you're at. The problem is that these are lights build for 5 times that output.. they are expensive. To get on the same level as (and slightly surpass) a Mars2 400 you'd need 4 of those.

You say stealth is of import to you. Get a 200mm exhaust fan, a plug dimmer and a 200mm to <insert your filter size> adapter piece (those should run you 50 bucks). The bigger the fan the slower it has to run to transport the same amount of air.. and the less noise you have.

I'm in EU, I'll have a look at the costs. With the fan I'd been thinking of getting a TD Silent, maybe a 500 and running it slow. They give a db rating of 19 for that which seem low, but then I'm not sure if I can trust manufacturers numbers! Apologies to @pop22 for the threadjack!

Back