Mephisto Genetics Best Size Airpot?

Also, wondering lately if it's detrimental to re use coco coir... I've got so much I figured I could just keep re using it, but the re used coco seems to be giving this round of plants some trouble. Is there a way to neutralize the soil from all the nutrients that might be in it? Or is it smarter to always use fresh coco? @massgrass @RicanBlazer @derek420colorado @Farmer Dee @Roasty McToasty @Lowdown
Thanks! I wouldn't say detrimental to reuse, it'll be your choice. I don't reuse anything. Media is too readily available here. I do avoid issues by using fresh each time, sans the gnats issue. I've read both sides of the coin: those who use fresh coco each round vs. those who reuse up to about 3x. I've seen pictures of success using both styles.

I've grown in airpots for 7 years. Photos and autos and I love the pots for a myriad of reasons, but I honestly think they are better suited for photoperiods. You can start seeds/clones in prop cells and then pot up so that root development explodes into the bigger pot. The results are mind boggling! These pots start trees and the owner of airpotusa is savy enough to welcome cannibis growers with welcoming arms.

If you're deadset on airpots I agree with @Vorkosigan comment above and it's best to choose size according to your set up, but your medium in said airpots will determine the size of the plants in addition to your environment. I use red bottoms with tupur and I can get decent size med to tall plants in those with photos.

For autos I'd say go as big as you can afford and have space for. My growing experience has taught me that the longer that auto taproot has to travel, the bigger your plant will be. I've yet to get big autos in soil with my redbottm pots. Ive grown in all the popular brands of soil including buildasoils modern mix 2.0.

In coco I could grow trees in the red bottom airpots. Tupur is not quite as good as straight coco, but darn sure good enough for growers who can source it. I also have a blue bottom airpot that grows mini trees, but I rather grow my California 6 in smaller pots rather than 1 big one since I can keep my COBs right on top of them for a good canopy blast of PLC goodness. Again these pots start trees so the bigger the better in soil, the smaller the better for coco. I've seen 6ft single cola plants grown in prop cells only. The possibilities are endless with airpots!!

Sorry for the long post but I try and give insight with details to help you see different sides of the coin and the fun about these plants is that you can keep on experimenting to your heart's desire. I tend to use my Mephisto freebies for experiments so I don't waste my paid for seeds. Thanks again @Mitch and crew!

Hey man I am growing critical jack by Dinafem and it's my first photoperiod grow and just looking for a little input in relation to airpot size for growing. I'm in a 2x4ft tent that's 180cm high and using 200w migro cob led.

Currently I have two seedlings in 1 litre airpots and debating how to proceed from here. I have 5,10 and 15l airpots available to me and was thinking maybe pop into a 5l then onto a 15l or possibly let it root out well in 1 litre and pop straight into a 10l.. what's your view on this what would you recommend?

Hey man I am growing critical jack by Dinafem and it's my first photoperiod grow and just looking for a little input in relation to airpot size for growing. I'm in a 2x4ft tent that's 180cm high and using 200w migro cob led.

Currently I have two seedlings in 1 litre airpots and debating how to proceed from here. I have 5,10 and 15l airpots available to me and was thinking maybe pop into a 5l then onto a 15l or possibly let it root out well in 1 litre and pop straight into a 10l.. what's your view on this what would you recommend?
How do you transfer out of an airpot without root damage? Never used them, just curious.

I've been using the no. 3's (yellow bottom) but extending them, making them larger, taller, adding another 1-1.5 gallons volume, by cutting no. 3's in half length-wide and wrapping these pieces around the top of reg. no. 3, overlapping by 1 row of protrusions and pinning the added-on piece in place. This way I get ≥4 gallon taller AirPots with a taller profile - bigger pots with greater height-to-width ratio. Overlapping 1 row is very structurally strong - even when draining-to-waste the pots can be picked-up by the top added-on part. This overlapping/extending can be done with any of the pot sizes (although you will need to press the alternating protrusions/indentations together 1-by-1, using the floor or other solid surface for support to push down against).

I've tried strapping together 2 no. 3's, but never saw the roots do much at the very bottom. This approx. doubling the pots height seemingly did not add any value at all vs. pots being near 1.5x their usual height, with these having fine roots throughout my coco/perlite.

Also, extending/enlarging the AirPots allows me to better use them as hempy pots, which is working well so far. For my last and current grow, I drop a plastic food storage container at the bottom that just fits within the pot and fill that with perlite and some vermiculite - instant hempy pot/reservoir.

How do you transfer out of an airpot without root damage? Never used them, just curious.

I've not done yet but just open them up and gently drop them in the same size hole use another airpot to make the right hole size to accommodate it. I'll pop up a link to my grow journal when I get it going and do transplant

I've not done yet but just open them up and gently drop them in the same size hole use another airpot to make the right hole size to accommodate it. I'll pop up a link to my grow journal when I get it going and do transplant
I''ve only had disasters trying to simply peel-off the pots.

Rather than transplant out of the original AirPot, in the past I would cut a large hole in the bottom grill (e.g., red/no. 2's) and place plastic screening/netting over the hole, then fill it with media (coco/perlite). If a plant is doing well and I want to 'transplant' to a larger pot, I simply pull the netting out of the bottom, and drop that AirPot into/on top of a larger size AirPot (or could use other container) filled with media. Then you need to strongly secure the 2 parts together or be careful (so don't rip roots) in handling the top if it's just sitting on top of another pot.

Attachments

• DSCN3038 (3).JPG
    DSCN3038 (3).JPG
    738.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20200420_190329067 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200420_190329067 (2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Back