New Grower AutoCobs/AutoPots in 4x4 Tent, Unboxing and Setup

So at long last here is the space in the basement for my tent! I guess you could call this the 'before' picture, but before we move onto any further developments, I wanted to stress how much work went into getting just to this picture! The computer monitor sitting on the tv cabinet to the far right belongs to my media center server, the cabinet also being the snug home of my router and satellite modem. It has about 97 cables going into it and it used to be plugged into the outlet that is dead center in this picture. In the spot where the computer sits there used to live a mediums-sized storage shelf.

Needless to say it took about a week to move the shelf and move and rewire the computer. I took the opportunity to run the wires for the computer nicely so they are tidy and out of the way for the grow tent. Then I just had to dust the cobwebs from the ceiling and sweep up the mouse poops to get to the idyllic panorama you see here!

IMG_20170514_121335141.jpg

Some important points regarding the infrastructure surrounding the grow tent...

The outlet you see dead center of the space was dedicated to an electric hot water heater which has been removed since the hot water was switched to propane. This outlet is on its own circuit and can now conveniently be used for the grow tent. The switch next to the outlet controls the unused wires running up from the outlet box. One of my setup tasks is to remove the unused switch and wires and reconfigure that box so it has four GFCI outlets instead.

The extension cord that is plugged into the outlet and running off to the left goes to a dehumidifier for the basement. Another item on my todo list is to upgrade that dehumidifier, which is underpowered, old, loud and inefficient. I'm going to replace it with a new one that has twice the capacity so as to guarantee a consistent environment for the ladies.

The window visible at the top of this picture is another project on my list. I've removed that window and exchanged it with an identical window which had a crack in it. The cracked window is going to the glass shop to get the broken glass replaced with a sheet of plexiglas with a hole cut in it for a dryer vent cowl. The dryer vent cowl will be a most convenient camouflage for my tent's exhaust port.

Unseen to the right of this picture is YET ANOTHER home improvement project that I will be undertaking. Yes, this is like the fourth one! Our laundry area is over there to the right, and most conveniently we have a laundry sink which will assuredly be helpful filling up the ol' autopot reservoir. What will not be helpful is that the pump required to drain the sink blew out years ago and was never replaced, meaning that the faucet works but water that goes down the drain has nowhere to go but the basement floor (you see @Corgy, I have some experience with flooding)! So I am taking this opportunity to replace the under-sink pump. I may also purchase a handheld pump to fill/drain the autopot reservoir without having to pick it up (this is something you may want to look into @bushmasterar15 - you won't want to be lifting jugs of water after surgery).

Hey bro, welcome to the forums. :toke:

Sweet setup, looks like you've done your research... glad I could provide some inspiration ;)
Nice job with the detailed journal so far and good luck with the grow, hit me up if you need any help.:pass:

Hey thanks for stopping by Hans and thanks for treading a path for me to follow! I will be most shamelessly copying your autopot techniques and hoping for anything close to your results :bow:

Figured I post a few more pictures, not too much more to show for now. Once I got that area cleared out I couldn't help but set up the tent. I don't have any intermediate pictures of the tent being set up but it was pretty easy, maybe took 60-90 minutes and that was with a smoke break, lol no wonder I forgot to take pictures. The tent tubes snap together easily and then the tent is pulled taught over them. It is a tight fit but if you've put together any kind of tent before it is not hard.

IMG_20170514_130155974_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170514_130202184.jpg

By the way I've now turned the tent 90 degrees from those pics. The reason is based on @Corgy's post about opening the sides of the tent. With the tent facing forward like this you can only fully access one side that opens. By turning the tent I can get full access to two sides and partial access to the third side that unzips.

Will you be using saucers under the pots? I don't see many people using them even though it's little money for the convience but flood tables make great catch pans for multiple plants. A slight pitch in the back and the runoff should drain forward. A shop vac and that working wash sink could make easy use of the waste afterwards. Love the thoroughness!

To answer the question I use the resivour in the above picture for my soil plants. Typically mix 30 gallons at a time so a larger tank is necessary.

Will you be using saucers under the pots? I don't see many people using them even though it's little money for the convience but flood tables make great catch pans for multiple plants. A slight pitch in the back and the runoff should drain forward. A shop vac and that working wash sink could make easy use of the waste afterwards. Love the thoroughness!

To answer the question I use the resivour in the above picture for my soil plants. Typically mix 30 gallons at a time so a larger tank is necessary.

Hey Big asmo how is it going i was wondering how the auto cob complete with amare se 450 cxb 3070 also do you now lumens/Watt

Hey Big asmo how is it going i was wondering how the auto cob complete with amare se 450 cxb 3070 also do you now lumens/Watt
Victor is a friend so I don't want to get into comparisons. I have done real well with Amare in the past. When I first started in this venture he was one of the first people I talked to, before my wife even. The newer Amare models will have dimmers and that's what's needed for us auto growers. Less ppfd as autos are under 18-24 hours of light per day vs photos under 12 hours per day.

The single cobs still amaze me. I usually have 3-4 different stages of growth in my space. This is why I grow autos and also why I like these so much. I am constantly moving the lights around, taken them down, adding more and the best part adjusting their height individually. As for lumens per watt It's around 140 +- 3% as the spec sheet is at 1080ma and these are run at 1050ma.

My suggestion is if you have a large space and want a complete light go Amare which I believe you already own or the single AutoCobs as a sole light or even suplimental with Amare. If you are looking to get into a simple DIY setup the almost complete cobs make it very simple to do.

Victor is a friend so I don't want to get into comparisons. I have done real well with Amare in the past. When I first started in this venture he was one of the first people I talked to, before my wife even. The newer Amare models will have dimmers and that's what's needed for us auto growers. Less ppfd as autos are under 18-24 hours of light per day vs photos under 12 hours per day.

The single cobs still amaze me. I usually have 3-4 different stages of growth in my space. This is why I grow autos and also why I like these so much. I am constantly moving the lights around, taken them down, adding more and the best part adjusting their height individually. As for lumens per watt It's around 140 +- 3% as the spec sheet is at 1080ma and these are run at 1050ma.

My suggestion is if you have a large space and want a complete light go Amare which I believe you already own or the single AutoCobs as a sole light or even suplimental with Amare. If you are looking to get into a simple DIY setup the almost complete cobs make it very simple to do.

Yes I'm not really asking if they were better I love my amare. Just was thinking of expanding grow area and your auto cob seems most suitable for my situation and was looking for some info

Back