New Grower AutoCobs/AutoPots in 4x4 Tent, Unboxing and Setup

Yes I'm not really asking if they were better I love my amare. Just was thinking of expanding grow area and your auto cob seems most suitable for my situation and was looking for some info
I understand. Both lights are great. My initial conversation with Vic was about how these would work great next to his if someone already owned the Amare and needed to expand. That's what I'm doing now actually. I dropped an se-450 and added a few of mine between to cut the wattage down and it's working well. Also have a few solo plants going where the big panels wouldn't fit and the epic back room as I call it with 4 AutoCobs. Make the most with what you have.

I understand. Both lights are great. My initial conversation with Vic was about how these would work great next to his if someone already owned the Amare and needed to expand. That's what I'm doing now actually. I dropped an se-450 and added a few of mine between to cut the wattage down and it's working well. Also have a few solo plants going where the big panels wouldn't fit and the epic back room as I call it with 4 AutoCobs. Make the most with what you have.

Yah that what I was thinking what would you recommend for auto cob to max out my 4×4 with the se 450 in the middle

Yes I'm not really asking if they were better I love my amare. Just was thinking of expanding grow area and your auto cob seems most suitable for my situation and was looking for some info
AutoCOBs and the Amare LED-only fixtures go together very well (or likely as best as any other light system out there). I mix 8 x AutoCOBs (440 watts) with 2 x Amare 150CR's (2 x 150 = 300 watts). I don't know if that is the optimal ratio of AutoCOBs to Amare (or other) LEDs.

Hey guys some quick updates and a few more pics of the tent along with thoughts and questions. I'll work my way up from the bottom....

I had 16 square feet of "anti-fatigue foam flooring" that I bought at a tag sale. The autopots literature specifically warns against keeping the pots on a cold concrete floor, I'm hoping this foam provides enough insulation to keep the plants warm and happy. I'm planning on adding some shims to the back to make the floor tilt toward the front a little per @BigSm0's drainage suggestion.
IMG_20170522_220939385.jpg

The tent comes equipped with a "removable Mylar floor tray" seen in this picture. It is tied up to the stakes similar to the "bathtub floors" that are common in camping tents (though the idea in camping tents is to keep the water out lol). It is made out of a single sheet of mylar with no seems, so it should be extremely waterproof. The volume of it would be theoretically sufficient to hold the entire 12 gallon reservoir in a flood situation, though in practice I might like to see it reinforced before I trusted it to hold more than a few gallons. This will definitely be a component in my drip tray/flood protection system. Here I've pulled it away so you can see it tied to one of the corner poles.
IMG_20170522_221028033.jpg

A snap connector on one of the poles. You just snap the poles together according the diagram and stretch the tent over the frame. The stretching is the tricky part. Just do one corner at a time and be patient, you have to work it for a few minutes.
IMG_20170522_221639876.jpg

Here's one of the ducting ports. It can be pulled tight with draw strings to close it. Some of the duct holes are max 6" like this one and a few are 4". I'm not sure why they did this because it limits your exhaust options if you have 6" ducting like I have.
IMG_20170522_221709873.jpg

One of the air vents that are along the bottom of the tent. The vents have little flap which can be velcroed shut or rolled open. I've rolled it open for improved air intake and to show that the vent lets light in/out through a mesh window when it is opened. I'm thinking of tacking up some black felt on the inside of the window to block the light but allow ventilation. Has anyone else fabricated a better solution to this problem?
IMG_20170522_221852455.jpg

The bars for hanging equipment and how they hook to the top of the frame. There is one beefier bar for hanging the fan/filter and two slightly slimmer bars for hanging lights. They slide around up there pretty easily. One convenient design element is that the fan bar and the light bars can be hung perpendicular without conflicting with each other as shown in this pic, because the fan bar hangs a little lower.
IMG_20170522_230029049.jpg

So there's a grow tent, bottom to top!

I had a minor setback today... I was expecting to be able to change out the GFCI outlet easily but when I took off the face plate looked at the circuit for this outlet I discovered that it is a very strange animal. Instead of a hot, neutral and ground wire, it has two out-of-phase hot wires and a ground. I gather this was standard for 220V hot water heaters 30 years ago. But if you want a 110V circuit you have to use the ground wire for the neutral return, which leaves you without a proper ground (that's the way it is now). On top of that, the whole thing is fed from a 30A breaker which is way to high for a circuit with a single outlet.

Ah, the joys of homeownership.

So I will probably be calling in an electrician to make some changes behind the panel to make this a properly grounded/protected circuit before I plug all my fancy new grow equipment into it. Poop.

Progress! Here's the fan and filter hanging in the tent. I bought a bundle of 6" flexible ducting and some hose clamps to attach everything. The filter is hanging from some nylon straps that came with the tent, hope that's what they're for! I mentioned earlier the fan did not have suitable hanging hardware so I made a couple hang loops out of galvanized wire. I've hung the fan assembly in the back of the tent so as to be out of the way of the lights as much as possible, leaving an inch or so of clearance all around so it hopefully gets airflow.

IMG_20170517_212208089.jpg

The duct work outside the tent isn't complete yet I hope to have it venting all the way to the outdoors by this weekend.

Ok guys, buckle your seat belts cause shit's about to get real. There are six AutoCobs and each one has its own power cable. My plan is to plug them all into a power a strip that is mounted to the top center of the tent. The power strip itself will be plugged into the timer outside the tent.

It would have been nice to have another hang bar or two with the tent but instead I had to improvise a way to get the power strip where I wanted it. I went back to galvanized wire, I'm really getting a lot of traction out of that stuff on this build!
IMG_20170524_220417273.jpg

AutoPot makes a good wire dispenser
IMG_20170524_221631647.jpg

Says "Household Garden" right on the label, that's what I'm using it for
whistling-gif.751390

IMG_20170524_231742512.jpg

I made a little mounting plate for the power strip out of some scrap plywood and attached it to the wire with zip ties.
IMG_20170524_220404472.jpg

With the power strip mounted. Guess what those are plugged into the strip? :biggrin:
IMG_20170524_221158842.jpg

Did I hang the AutoCobs, you ask? Yes and then some, I say :headbang:

With six lights, power management is important. I have a spool of velcro wrap. I've cut two lengths, one for the left side lights and one for the right side lights. Since they are both velcro it is easy to stick the two bundles together as seen here.
IMG_20170524_222633586.jpg

You also need to manage the spare cord from the ratcheting hangers. I just tucked them behind the tent bars so they're out of the way and I don't have to bundle them.
IMG_20170524_222255045.jpg

This is what my ladies are going to see looking up from the bottom. Worship the light, girls!
IMG_20170524_222528863.jpg

Six autocobs in their full glory.
IMG_20170524_222616258.jpg

Back