New Grower AutoCobs/AutoPots in 4x4 Tent, Unboxing and Setup

Spz I forgot to mention the lights have a 3 year warranty too. If there is indeed a failure I'll get a new one out to you within 3-4 days time. Also if there is ever some new super cob to hit the market I'm sure it could be fit in the citizens place that's in the autocob now.

Hey BigSm0, nice to see you here and thanks for all the encouragement! I've definitely been watching your grows with interest :toke:

The great support and reputation on AFN is a huge reason why I went with the autocobs, it's awesome to know that they are backed by a warranty, too!

Subbed up as this is the same style setup I got in the works. Just need to make it through surgery n recovery before I can start.

Haha a dope trailer is no place for a kitty! Welcome aboard

IMG_20170518_222733~2.jpg

On to the AutoPots...

The inspiration for my decision to go with Autopots was definitely AFN's own Autopot Guru @Hansbricks. If you take a look at this grow you will see where Hans got 545g off a single Auto Glueberry that he was able to leave unattended for days at a time while traveling for work. This got me really excited because I also have a busy work schedule and really can't be relied upon to fuss with the plants, especially when they get big and require watering once per day or more. A hydro system with a big enough reservoir to go a few days to a week is a huge win and the plants seem to be lovin' the steady feed they get based on reports from the autopots forum. I considered DWC as an alternative but I like the simple passive system that uses gravity and doesn't require a bunch of extra complexity. One thing I don't like is that you are not supposed to use organic nutrients with the autopots as the water can go funky and/or block the delicate valves and connectors. In the future I may progress and experiment with Hempy's and compost teas, or living soil in my dream greenhouse, but I figure I will get a few successful conventional grows under my belt with the Autopots before I get too creative :biggrin:

I was expecting a big delivery with the Autopots but it all came in one smallish box with the pots, valves and instructions all nested into the reservoir. I got the 4 pot system with a 12 gallon reservoir and 4 gallon pots. It is all about the size of a waste basket (which the reservoir very much resembles). Here are the unboxing pics:

Like I said, it's a surprisingly small box:
IMG_20170513_160952042.jpg

Man that's one expensive wastebasket!
IMG_20170513_161038386_HDR.jpg

Nice touch with the manual nestled in the lid. Too bad the manual is basically junk.
IMG_20170513_161049050.jpg

After much wrestling I was able to get everything out of the reservoir. Here's the exploded view of the reservoir, four pots and bases, bag with hose, valves and connectors, and the manual. I did not realize at this point that the pots and bases were also completely wedged together. There is a small hole in the bottom back of the reservoir (unseen) where the irrigation tubing goes in. I'm not sure what the hole in the lid is for, air maybe?
IMG_20170513_164038628.jpg

Here are the contents of the parts bag, 13' hose, valves/connectors and one the of the blue float valves and pot liners
IMG_20170518_225846790.jpg

Here are the connectors. The purpose of these is vaguely alluded to in the manual, here's a better description:

2 x tap valve: one goes inline before any pots and serves as a master shutoff valve.
The other goes at the end of the distribution line and can be opened to flush the lines

4 x T connectors, use for a daisy chain pot layout

2 x X connectors, use for a hub layout

1 x square filter, goes inside reservoir at head of intake line

1 x grommet, goes in the intake hole in the reservoir to form a tight seal
IMG_20170518_225901400.jpg

Here's the float valve. This is the secret sauce that feeds the plant watered just as much as she'll drink. The float valve lifts as the autopot base fills with water, automatically shutting off the water supply at a predefined level. Once the girl drinks enough, the valve is opened to fill the base again. This is the top of the valve.
IMG_20170518_222819410.jpg

This is the underside of the valve. The little half moon bumpout at the top right seats on a tab in the base where you place the float valve.
IMG_20170518_222827819.jpg

I went ahead and bought 25' of foodsafe poly tubing at Home Despot. It is stiffer than the autopot tubing but the valves do fit. You can see the proper diameters to get on the label
IMG_20170518_222952978.jpg

So now you know what to expect when you order an autopot kit!

Just ran out to the garage to pull the AutoPot box out of the recycling pile and photograph this picture on the side of it:
IMG_20170518_234411130.jpg

LOL this picture is actually more helpful than the manual. This shows the two suggested layouts. I'm currently trying to decide if I want to use the hub layout, with the feeding tubes and connectors right in the middle of the tent, or daisy chain layout, with the tube running along the outside of the tent. In either case I will keep the reservoir outside the tent on a raise shelf, which is why I bought extra feed line to connect it.

An operational tip..... Your lines are bound to gunk up and block at one point or another, a syringe is handy to clear 'em with a little back blowing....unless of course you know someone close with compressor style lungs.... Probably need some sort of soft silicone adapter with the rigid poly tubing....

You may also find depending on how much access you have to your tent, from how many sides, that keeping the trays with the aqua valve pointed towards the center rather than the sidewalls will ease inspection access, especially when the plants has gotten girthy.... Bless 'em....

Back