Mephisto Genetics 3 Bears OG Top Feed Recirculating Hydro Journal

Day 41, I've never used more Mg in my life and still seeing deficiency... Using CaliMagic by GH at 5ml per gal and also using MagPro by DynaGro at 2ml per gal... Can't seem to stop it and I don't feel comfortable pushing any more additives. The base dynagro bloom nutes have plenty Mg as well.

Modest amounts of potassium in all the bottles I'm using so I don't think it's a lockout.

I'm pretty religious about pH and I calculate my meter with 2 points every other week. Rez has been solid between 5.7 and 6.1 so I dunno wtf her deal is.

Humidity is steady 50% all week and temps about 73-75.

On top of that I'm skeptical about her structure. Lots of paper clip thin branches coming off the main branches. I've pruned off about as many as I could and there ain't much plant left...

Let's see what she does :smoking:

IMG_20191207_135347329_HDR-1536x2048.jpg
IMG_20191207_135356566-1536x2048.jpg
IMG_20191207_135404258-1536x2048.jpg
IMG_20191207_135538261-1536x2048.jpg
IMG_20191207_135412832-1536x2048.jpg

So lets look at what can cause a Mag deficiencey besides not having enough:

tox-lockout.jpg

Too much K - Potassium can lock out Mg.

So lets look at what can cause a Mag deficiencey besides not having enough:

View attachment 1135933

Hey @Mañ'O'Green ! I checked my bottles and really all of them have pretty low K. Nothing crazy. I actually checked the chart you gave me last time to check my K.

Here are the bottles:
IMG_20191207_142312355.jpg

Here is the rez content currently:
CaliMagic 5ml/gal (0% K)
Bloom 5ml/gal (6% K)
MagPro 2ml/gal (4% K)
Pro-Tekt 2ml/gal (3% K)
Foliage 1ml/gal (6% K)

More P than I'd like but K seems moderate

:wall:

Last edited:
So lets look at what can cause a Mag deficiency besides not having enough:

View attachment 1135933

This is why I hate the term and product cal/mag.. Lol.. Because too much ca, locks out mg... And too much mg, locks out ca.. Too much ca and mg (which is what cal/mag is) and you lock out K.. But then when people have a Ca deficiency, they add more of both ca and mg with cal/mag products.

Thats a great chart for learning! I think "excess nutrient" build up is something that is often overlooked!

Hey @Mañ'O'Green ! I checked my bottles and really all of them have pretty low K. Nothing crazy. I actually checked the chart you gave me last time to check my K.

Here are the bottles:
View attachment 1135947

Here is the rez content currently:
CaliMagic 5ml/gal (0% K)
Bloom 5ml/gal (6% K)
MagPro 2ml/gal (4% K)
Pro-Tekt 2ml/gal (3% K)
Foliage 1ml/gal (6% K)

More P than I'd like but K seems moderate

:wall:
I love DynaGro. I had many successful grows using it. Have you calibrated your PH pen? because I cannot think of anything else that would cause the problem other than PH?

I love DynaGro. I had many successful grows using it. Have you calibrated your PH pen? because I cannot think of anything else that would cause the problem other than PH?
Yessir, i do a two point calibration every other week. When I did it yesterday, the meter was only off by .05 so it didn't even really need it. I store in storage solution and clean it if it gets gunked up.

I'm going to try to keep pH right at 6 for a while, but I'm pretty stumped.

Only other thing that was weird was that it's mostly on the top leaves. I've read mg def starts on bottom and spreads, but bottom leaves don't show signs of mg def.

:confused1:

I am not sure that is a Mg deficiency. The leaves are tacoed a bit. I think @Waira should have a look. I know this is redundant but you are changing the res every week - right?

I am not sure that is a Mg deficiency. The leaves are tacoed a bit. I think @Waira should have a look. I know this is redundant but you are changing the res every week - right?
I went probably 10 days maybe 11 on this rez.

The leaves were tacoed last week during low humidity and high lighting I think and they never recovered. Humidity is up a bit and light is more dim. Then the mg def started to show (if it is mg def) this week... Not sure what's up, she seems really finicky...

I went probably 10 days maybe 11 on this rez.

The leaves were tacoed last week during low humidity and high lighting I think and they never recovered. Humidity is up a bit and light is more dim. Then the mg def started to show (if it is mg def) this week... Not sure what's up, she seems really finicky...
7 days is tops in a 5 gallon bucket especially when the roots get big. You really only have about 3 gallons of liquid. What happens in a small amount of water is the plants are taking in the nutrients they want and not the others. If you just add nutrients to that it can get out of balance really quickly. I went to a 5 day schedule with a large Photoperiod plant I grew once because it raised hell with the PH with the exudes from the roots.

Back