Mephisto Genetics UPDATED Seed starting advice in real time with slowandeasy

Ok, just finished doing that. Temps are at 84F in the tent. I put the Cups of Coco in there to warm up. I just set a cup of water on top of my tent reading 83F. I will let this warm up for an hour or 2. Then I will drop 2 seeds in water and we will plant tomorrow. At about 9pm. It is 7:49 now. I will come back at 9 and drop the seeds. Peace

9:35 pm. I just dropped 2 seeds in water. On top of tent for about 12-24 hrs. I will plant tomorrow night. I predict 2 new seedlings will be up 48hrs after planting. So, 72 hours total. Ready to go, peace slow
P_20190407_213940_p.jpg
P_20190407_213737_p.jpg

Ok, I fell asleep last night early. Both seeds are up. Same as always. Soak for 12-24 hrs, then plant in Coco with 80-85F. 2 days later you will have a seedling above ground. On a side note, it was 72F outside the other day. I just woke up to 2 inches of snow on the ground today...WTF?

Slow, thanks very much for sharing this method. I think I will give this a try next time.

After you put the seed in the divot, do you just drop a spoonful of coco over it? Or is there some packing of the coco over the seed?

Also, could you explain how you poke the 4 holes in the bottom of the cup, and what size they are?

Thanks again for sharing this!

Last edited:
Slow, thanks very much for sharing this method. I think I will give this a try next time.

After you put the seed in the divot, do you just drop a spoonful of coco over it? Or is there some packing of the coco over the seed?

Also, could you explain how you poke the 4 holes in the bottom of the cup, and what size they are?

Thanks again for sharing this!
If the seed does NOT have a tail, I make a divot and lightly cover...no packing on top of seed ever. Gently cover. If the seed has a tail, make a little hole with a Chop Stick or something similar that is deep enough for the tail to sit in and gently cover....no packing.

As for the cup size, I use 5oz usually. You just poke small holes with a razor blade or knife. When you hydrate your Coco, go slowly. Don't super soak it. I squeeze the excess moisture out of the bottom holes. This packs the Coco a tad and squishes out excessive nute water. Now push UP on the bottom if the cup before you plant your seeds. It will release the Coco from the bottom of the cup a tad. This makes it like building a Sandcastle for when you transplant later. If you need anything else, just ask. Peace, slow

If the seed does NOT have a tail, I make a divot and lightly cover...no packing on top of seed ever. Gently cover. If the seed has a tail, make a little hole with a Chop Stick or something similar that is deep enough for the tail to sit in and gently cover....no packing.

As for the cup size, I use 5oz usually. You just poke small holes with a razor blade or knife. When you hydrate your Coco, go slowly. Don't super soak it. I squeeze the excess moisture out of the bottom holes. This packs the Coco a tad and squishes out excessive nute water. Now push UP on the bottom if the cup before you plant your seeds. It will release the Coco from the bottom of the cup a tad. This makes it like building a Sandcastle for when you transplant later. If you need anything else, just ask. Peace, slow

Ok awesome, thanks again for filling in all these details!

I saw you mentioned that after 7 - 10 days the seedling is ready for transplant.

Is that after the plant reaches a certain size, or starts drinking a certain amount, or just a general rule of thumb?

Ok awesome, thanks again for filling in all these details!

I saw you mentioned that after 7 - 10 days the seedling is ready for transplant.

Is that after the plant reaches a certain size, or starts drinking a certain amount, or just a general rule of thumb?
That is a general timeline. Using a clear cup and then a Cover cup will allow you to see the root development and moisture level. You want to make sure the roots are developed. Usually 7-10 days they are on their 2nd or 3rd set of leaves. This usually translates to the leaves being as wide or wider than the cups at transplant. The cover cup is to bottom dunk/water your plants. This promotes downward root growth and avoids over watering. Good luck

That is a general timeline. Using a clear cup and then a Cover cup will allow you to see the root development and moisture level. You want to make sure the roots are developed. Usually 7-10 days they are on their 2nd or 3rd set of leaves. This usually translates to the leaves being as wide or wider than the cups at transplant. The cover cup is to bottom dunk/water your plants. This promotes downward root growth and avoids over watering. Good luck
Ok awesome... I'm going to try this when I get my seeds in the mail.

Couple more questions if you don't mind:

What brands of coco do you recommend for starting seeds, and do you use bag or brick?

My local shop only carries cyco cocopearl but it has perlite in it. However, I can get Canna brand bricks from Amazon.

Do you water (bottom feed) the 5 oz cup right before you transplant? Or let the cup be a little dry, and the coco in the final pot a little wetter?

Thanks again for going through all this info!

I have never used Cyco Coco. Canna quality has gone down a ton, so I can't comment on why is better. I prefer Char Coir. I try to transplant when they are not all wet. Then transplant and water around the OUTSIDE edge of the pot a little to have that area more moist than the cups. Roots seek moisture. I prefer to prep my pot the day before transplanting, to get the Coco moist and warm overnight. Plop your plant in a pre Ade hole the size of the cup and gently pack. When you water keep it light and around the edges. Water daily, but not to run off until they are more established. Good luck, slow

Back