Mephisto Genetics UPDATED Seed starting advice in real time with slowandeasy

Giving this a shot. Started with my usual germ/Mephisto's germ method, both seeds popped, and then put into the 5oz cups. One is up and out, the other looks like she's about to break ground.

Slow, are you counting 7-10 days from sprouting before transplanting (or when you drop into water)?

Giving this a shot. Started with my usual germ/Mephisto's germ method, both seeds popped, and then put into the 5oz cups. One is up and out, the other looks like she's about to break ground.

Slow, are you counting 7-10 days from sprouting before transplanting (or when you drop into water)?
7-10 days above ground. Bottom dunking to promote downward root growth. Good luck!

did you notice he has 5oz cups not the usual 16oz cups? pretty small to get go for 10 days isn't it?
Actually I use 5 or 9oz, and have a range of 7-10 days. Some maybe ready at 7 days and some will take 10. They won't be rootbound in 10 days. I also clone my photos in the same cups. Takes 5-7 dsys to get roots on clones. Peacez slowandeasy

Actually I use 5 or 9oz, and have a range of 7-10 days. Some maybe ready at 7 days and some will take 10. They won't be rootbound in 10 days. I also clone my photos in the same cups. Takes 5-7 dsys to get roots on clones. Peacez slowandeasy
Oops, yea I'm using 9oz. I said 5oz (because I was following your guide lol), but actually only had 9oz.

No kidding. I just assumed you were using 16 oz. Not that I'll change what I use but still good to know whats possible.

Slow, what is your watering like after transplanting? Currently, I'm watering the outermost edge of my 3gal smart pot, but want to make sure while I'm encouraging the roots to look for water, that I'm not starving her. [I know mine will be slightly modified since I'm not in 100% coco.]

In the past, I'd water 100-200ml a couple inches away from center (ie much closer inward), but I don't think I ever would get great root development.

Slow, what is your watering like after transplanting? Currently, I'm watering the outermost edge of my 3gal smart pot, but want to make sure while I'm encouraging the roots to look for water, that I'm not starving her. [I know mine will be slightly modified since I'm not in 100% coco.]

In the past, I'd water 100-200ml a couple inches away from center (ie much closer inward), but I don't think I ever would get great root development.
I have always promoted outer edge. You are doing the right thing now. Watering by the stem promotes zero root development compared to outer edge. I can't speak for your medium, but in Coco I am for moist...NOT wet. I would rather 3 time per day and never have run off vs water too much and waiting for them to dry out. What do you feed and what is your medium? You won't be starving your plants unless you are not feeding right. Roots will grow FASTER and will stretch to reach your outer edges. They will be thicker as well, vs thin roots

Roger that and will do. So far she looks healthy.

I'm trying to go water only with a modified mix of mostly Promix HP, some compost, and Buildasoil's craft blend nutrient pack. If I see deficiencies, I have my previously used AN Sensi Grow/Bloom.

Roger that and will do. So far she looks healthy.

I'm trying to go water only with a modified mix of mostly Promix HP, some compost, and Buildasoil's craft blend nutrient pack. If I see deficiencies, I have my previously used AN Sensi Grow/Bloom.
Cool. Aim for moist, not wet. You can't go wrong if you do that. Using a small amount, but daily is Much better than dumping a gallon or 2 at once. No matter what the medium IMO. Some just can water more frequently. Pot size matters. I use small pots of Coco. So I can water more frequently than a 3 gal pot. Promix hold more moisture than Coco, I would still aim for no run off and keeping moist...not wet or dry. Especially with water only. Keep things happy. Small amounts daily is good for consistent moisture. Increase the amount as they grow. Good luck.

Back