New Grower Today is Day 5 - should I be concerned

comparing against your 1st posted pic there is growth, albeit slow, but it is growing...
true - my concern is about the slow growth too, but like you pointed out, the root structure might be doing its thing right now.
coco peat + compost + soil mix is a little vague. so can't get really sure how soil ph is going to be. just keep the water ph around 6 to 6.5 and it should be ok.
yeah, I now realize that I might have made a mistake by going with this mix (this is what I use for all my veggies and they seem to love it). Next grow will be in just coco (buffered) and a bit of perlite.

true - my concern is about the slow growth too, but like you pointed out, the root structure might be doing its thing right now.

yeah, I now realize that I might have made a mistake by going with this mix (this is what I use for all my veggies and they seem to love it). Next grow will be in just coco (buffered) and a bit of perlite.
you might be surprised when she takes off, it could be a good mix for them. I like to use one soil mix I like and has done me well that way I'm not chasing my tail trying to figure out whats going on. Think the soil thing isn't a big problem in your case, they look healthy with no signs of def or tox. My 1st auto grow was done in OMG that's crappy soil.....a mix of 3 year old bags of compost my dad bought before he died, a bag of 2 year old potting soil wife had bought and scraps out of 3 or 4 other bags she had lying around......used fox farm nutes on em and ....they grew good

you might be surprised when she takes off, it could be a good mix for them. I like to use one soil mix I like and has done me well that way I'm not chasing my tail trying to figure out whats going on. Think the soil thing isn't a big problem in your case, they look healthy with no signs of def or tox. My 1st auto grow was done in OMG that's crappy soil.....a mix of 3 year old bags of compost my dad bought before he died, a bag of 2 year old potting soil wife had bought and scraps out of 3 or 4 other bags she had lying around......used fox farm nutes on em and ....they grew good
keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best :)

quick update - growth is still extremely slow with the 3rd set of true leaves just coming out (Day 13). I have ordered a soil pH meter from Hanna to be able to get a definite assessment of what's going on. Also, to drop the pH down a bit (crappy meter is consistently reporting between 7 and 8), I mix 2 ml of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with 500 ml of water and watered the plant with this mixture. I am eagerly waiting for my Hanna pH meter to know for sure.

It would be better to wait on nutes until I get a better assessment on pH, right?

@Bill.de.Cat @Mañ'O'Green So, it has been 16 days now and the 1st set of 3 pronged leaves have started to grow out. Like we suspected, growth has been really slow, so I fed her a tiny bit of nutes yesterday, but nothing bad or good to report from it. While I am still waiting for my Hanna pH soil meter, is there anything I can/should do to fix this situation?

Day16.jpg

@Bill.de.Cat @Mañ'O'Green So, it has been 16 days now and the 1st set of 3 pronged leaves have started to grow out. Like we suspected, growth has been really slow, so I fed her a tiny bit of nutes yesterday, but nothing bad or good to report from it. While I am still waiting for my Hanna pH soil meter, is there anything I can/should do to fix this situation?

View attachment 1329653
What situation? The plant looks fine.

@Mañ'O'Green finally got my Hanna Soil pH meter and it's a bit of a weird situation - I calibrated the meter and then put it in the soil in multiple places to measure the pH. It appears that one half of the grow bag is at 7.3 or 7.4, while the other half is at 6.7 or 6.8! Clearly I haven't done a good job in mixing the potting mix (coco + compost + soil). I just got some pH down that I plan on using to lower the pH of the grow medium. What pH should I target?

@Mañ'O'Green finally got my Hanna Soil pH meter and it's a bit of a weird situation - I calibrated the meter and then put it in the soil in multiple places to measure the pH. It appears that one half of the grow bag is at 7.3 or 7.4, while the other half is at 6.7 or 6.8! Clearly I haven't done a good job in mixing the potting mix (coco + compost + soil). I just got some pH down that I plan on using to lower the pH of the grow medium. What pH should I target?
Don't worry about it The plants can deal with that range in soil. It takes a lot to change soil and you don't need to. Just feed the entire pot with PH 6.5 whenever you feed or water.

Looks a little wet...
Other than that looks good..
Welcome.

Back