New Grower Today is Day 5 - should I be concerned

It might not seem intuitive, but larger container needs less water, not more water. Especially early on. You want the roots to spread and search for water. That little plant still isnt drinking anywhere near 1L of water per day. And unless you have extremely low relative humidity, not nearly that much is evaporating either.

to illustrate my point, If you have a second bag, or even a 5 gallon bucket, fill it up with your dry soil mix. Pick it up and compare it's weight to your plants growbag. It will give you a very clear illustration of how your plant already has ALOT of weight in water that it already has access to.

To confirm that this was the issue, When you harvest this girl, examine the root ball also. I suspect you will find a very small rootmass that didn't come anywhere near filling the container.

Overwaterings by far the most common error new growers make and it really stunts veg growth.

If you're not comfortable letting the pot dry out for days or weeks, definitely use alot of perlite in your next runs mix. You will see a dramatic difference. You probably shouldn't have any less than 30% perlite unless you anticipate to go long periods without watering because of business trips or vacations.

If you have any other beans I would start another one up while this girl finishes. You'll likely find your next plants veg growth to be alot more vigorous now that you have an idea of the process.

Sorry if i came across harsh, not my intention. Just trying to help get you back on track. Good luck!:pass:
This is Bro-science and not a scientific fact. A cannabis tap root can grow 9 inches in three days and the laterals are not far behind. Roots will not grow into dry soil and this is what will stunt the growth of a plant. Watering in a little circle around the plant will not stimulate root growth. Soil needs to be maintained at a moist level accross the entire pot.

What you need to learn about watering will come with practice. Here are the basic rules: Never let the soil dry out. Soil and or coco can become hydrophobic if allowed to dry. This means it repels water. This in turn will create dry pockets in the soil and the roots and microbes will die there. If your soil - coco have accidentally dried out use a surfactant to help re-wet it. I like yucca powder. Don't let soil remain soggy by watering too much too often. Root rot, damping off, molds, fungus gnats and other problems start in soggy soil. When you do water water the entire pot. How to learn when to water starts before you plant the seed. Fill your container with fresh soil/coco and weigh it (heft it) this is the lightest weight and consider it a dry pot. Now slowly water until the soil/coco will no longer absorb the water and run-off begins; weigh the pot (heft it) this is the maximum water, the wettest the pot can get. The difference between wettest and driest is the maximum water weight, for ease of explanation lets just say the water weighs 20 pounds. When the pot loses 10 pounds (half of the water weight) it is time to water again.

finally got my Hanna Soil pH meter

just curious... which one did you get? this one?
20210701_095231.jpg

This is Bro-science and not a scientific fact. A cannabis tap root can grow 9 inches in three days and the laterals are not far behind. Roots will not grow into dry soil and this is what will stunt the growth of a plant. Watering in a little circle around the plant will not stimulate root growth. Soil needs to be maintained at a moist level accross the entire pot.

When I say let the soil dry out, obviously I don't mean to allow the soil to be bone dry which would obviously be just as bad as overwatering. I'm saying to let it dry out relative to the extreme oversaturation of the medium that he currently has. That's clearly a really heavy soil mix to begin with that's overwatered with a stunted plant in it.

Surprised you chose to focus on my use the phrase "search for water" and call it bro science. I only used that phrase because it's an easy way for a new grower to wrap their head around the fact that he needs to allow wet and dry cycles which you also reccomended. I never said anything about not watering to saturation, watering in little circles, or anything like that.

Kind of a weird thing to be pedantic about that when my post was the first one in 7 pages to point out what the problem obviously was lol. Especially when you basically agreed with me :doh:

Good luck with your 2nd run. It should be alot better, just don't kill them with kindness next time! Don't be afraid to take a step back and just watch. Action isn't always required :pass:

just curious... which one did you get? this one?
View attachment 1337718
yes, that's the one - works quite well for measuring pH of liquids too - I measure pH of my nutes before watering with this (and PPM using another device), but the cool thing is that I can stick it into the soil and measure soil pH too (if you see earlier in this thread, I noticed a weird pattern of one half of the pot being at 7.8 while the other half being lower!)

Quick update: The leaves that are closest to the bud feel nice and sticky and smell incredible! That being said, as you can see in the image below, they are slightly curled - I did have a minor infestation of spider mites that I think I have taken care of, so not sure if it's due to that. Should I be concerned? Do I need to do anything about this?

Day39.jpg

so, thanks to all you wonderful folks, I got inspired to go ahead and build a cabinet! Here is the thread I just posted (looking for a bit of advice too) - https://www.autoflower.org/threads/diy-grow-cabinet.84021/

The lady is continuing to do ok, no issues, but now that she is a controlled environment with a lot more consistent light, hoping to get a decent harvest :)

So, like I had mentioned earlier, this lady turned out to be tiny, but since it's my first grow, I am using this as a learning experience. On that front @Mañ'O'Green and other gurus out here, can you please take a look at the picture below and let me know if she looks ok for Day 46
day46.jpg

Thanks much!

Yes she seems healthy, was just stunted in veg. The flower is maturing properly. Won't yield a ton but it should be good smoke. :jointman:

Yes she seems healthy, was just stunted in veg. The flower is maturing properly. Won't yield a ton but it should be good smoke. :jointman:
She looks fine.
Thanks folks - appreciate the input.

I switched her over to flowering nutes (as per the earlier recommendation, I was feeding her veg nutes till this time to ensure that a few more leaves grow). She has completed 7 weeks as of today. How much longer do you folks think I have before harvesting her?

EDIT: I lowered the lights to 18 inches and my ppfd is now 900+ (which I believe is the recommended number during flowering).

Last edited:
Back