New Grower Today is Day 5 - should I be concerned

Don't worry about it The plants can deal with that range in soil. It takes a lot to change soil and you don't need to. Just feed the entire pot with PH 6.5 whenever you feed or water.
Understood, will feed 6.5 pH water going forward. Thanks again for all the help
Looks a little wet...
Other than that looks good..
Welcome.
Thanks for the reassurance - will continue to monitor and report :)

@Mañ'O'Green looks like this lady has gone into flowering stage, right? She is going to be a tiny one - I see 5 buds so far, all in their early stages

Edited to add that this is Day 26
Day26.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to share a quick update - It seems like things are going well for the lady. She is starting to put out a lot more growth and branches (I can count 10 or 11 bud sites so far). She is still tiny (but I looked at grow diaries of this strain (Runtz by Barneys seeds) and it does appear this is a tiny plant in general

@Mañ'O'Green and other gurus here - should I switch to bloom nutes or continue with veg for the time being? I feel that she needs to grow a bunch more leaves before switching over, but would like to hear your recommendation - thanks again for all the help!

Edited to add that she is on Day 34
Day34.jpg

Last edited:
She is getting a healthier shade of green now and growing. Clearly appreciated the increase in nitrogen. You want the leaves to be more of a Lush forest green. That pale shade of lime green from the earlier Photo is a strong sign she wants more nitrogen. Especial when the leaves are otherwise healthy.

Also the soil looked very wet in the earlier pictures. She was likely stunted from over watering which is a very common error for newer growers.Next time don't be afraid to keep the soil more dry for the first 2-3 weeks. And if you see that light shade of green feed her. You can also add more perlite to your soil mix to avoid overwatering, but if you do you'll need to water more frequently in flowering.

She's definitely flowering now, no making up for lost time in veg with Autos. Hopefully she fills out with some nice chunky flowers for you despite her petite size.

Last edited:
I wanted to share a quick update - It seems like things are going well for the lady. She is starting to put out a lot more growth and branches (I can count 10 or 11 bud sites so far). She is still tiny (but I looked at grow diaries of this strain (Runtz by Barneys seeds) and it does appear this is a tiny plant in general

@Mañ'O'Green and other gurus here - should I switch to bloom nutes or continue with veg for the time being? I feel that she needs to grow a bunch more leaves before switching over, but would like to hear your recommendation - thanks again for all the help!

Edited to add that she is on Day 34
View attachment 1337236
Stay on veg nutes for at least another week to 10 days.

She is getting a healthier shade of green now and growing. Clearly appreciated the increase in nitrogen. You want the leaves to be more of a Lush forest green. That pale shade of lime green from the earlier Photo is a strong sign she wants more nitrogen. Especial when the leaves are otherwise healthy.

Also the soil looked very wet in the earlier pictures. She was likely stunted from over watering which is a very common error for newer growers.Next time don't be afraid to keep the soil more dry for the first 2-3 weeks. And if you see that light shade of green feed her. You can also add more perlite to your soil mix to avoid overwatering, but if you do you'll need to water more frequently in flowering.

She's definitely flowering now, no making up for lost time in veg with Autos. Hopefully she fills out with some nice chunky flowers for you despite her petite size.

Strange thing is that when you look at the plant with your own eyes, the shade of green is quite dark (definitely not the lighter green shade that it looks in the pictures). I am really not sure why my phone's camera is changing the color this way.

Regarding watering the plant, I was doing about 0.5L earlier (it's a large 7 gallon grow bag with organic soil, so needs a bit of water) when she was tiny, but I am now at 1L of water per day.

Next soil mix, I will be adding Perlite for sure - have been hearing great things about its ability to increase oxygen retention. And yes, I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that she gives me a decent harvest :)
Stay on veg nutes for at least another week to 10 days.

Got it - thanks again for all the fantastic advise!

Regarding watering the plant, I was doing about 0.5L earlier (it's a large 7 gallon grow bag with organic soil, so needs a bit of water) when she was tiny, but I am now at 1L of water per day

It might not seem intuitive, but larger container needs less water, not more water. Especially early on. You want the roots to spread and search for water. That little plant still isnt drinking anywhere near 1L of water per day. And unless you have extremely low relative humidity, not nearly that much is evaporating either.

to illustrate my point, If you have a second bag, or even a 5 gallon bucket, fill it up with your dry soil mix. Pick it up and compare it's weight to your plants growbag. It will give you a very clear illustration of how your plant already has ALOT of weight in water that it already has access to.

To confirm that this was the issue, When you harvest this girl, examine the root ball also. I suspect you will find a very small rootmass that didn't come anywhere near filling the container.

Overwaterings by far the most common error new growers make and it really stunts veg growth.

If you're not comfortable letting the pot dry out for days or weeks, definitely use alot of perlite in your next runs mix. You will see a dramatic difference. You probably shouldn't have any less than 30% perlite unless you anticipate to go long periods without watering because of business trips or vacations.

If you have any other beans I would start another one up while this girl finishes. You'll likely find your next plants veg growth to be alot more vigorous now that you have an idea of the process.

Sorry if i came across harsh, not my intention. Just trying to help get you back on track. Good luck!:pass:

It might not seem intuitive, but larger container needs less water, not more water. Especially early on. You want the roots to spread and search for water. That little plant still isnt drinking anywhere near 1L of water per day. And unless you have extremely low relative humidity, not nearly that much is evaporating either.

to illustrate my point, If you have a second bag, or even a 5 gallon bucket, fill it up with your dry soil mix. Pick it up and compare it's weight to your plants growbag. It will give you a very clear illustration of how your plant already has ALOT of weight in water that it already has access to.

To confirm that this was the issue, When you harvest this girl, examine the root ball also. I suspect you will find a very small rootmass that didn't come anywhere near filling the container.

Overwaterings by far the most common error new growers make and it really stunts veg growth.

If you're not comfortable letting the pot dry out for days or weeks, definitely use alot of perlite in your next runs mix. You will see a dramatic difference. You probably shouldn't have any less than 30% perlite unless you anticipate to go long periods without watering because of business trips or vacations.

If you have any other beans I would start another one up while this girl finishes. You'll likely find your next plants veg growth to be alot more vigorous now that you have an idea of the process.

Sorry if i came across harsh, not my intention. Just trying to help get you back on track. Good luck!:pass:
Thanks, this is very helpful. I should clarify that my soil mix is actually 50+% coco + compost & soil. I water only when the top 1 inch has dried up (since it's a lot of coco, it's clearly visible). And I spread the water throughout the pot to ensure that the microbes in the soil get moisture and continue to thrive. I like your suggestion of weighing the grow mix when it's watered, will do this when I setup the next batch. Also, it will definitely be interesting to look at the root structure when I harvest this plant.

Yes, was planning to use 30% perlite for the next grow - that seems to be the standard ratio.

I am holding off on the next bean until I setup my Indoor grow area (it will take me a couple more weeks). Rains and cloudy weather are upon us so outdoor grows will be difficult for next 4 to 5 months.

Back